Details at a Glance
Financial Aid AvailableYes
The Hertie School’s Master of Public Policy (MPP) provides the decision-making tools you'll need to analyse policies, critically assess policy innovations and evaluate solutions.
- Two-year, full-time programme
- Taught entirely in English, in the heart of Berlin
- Problem-oriented curriculum that incorporates governance, the foundations of policymaking, management, economics, statistics and law.
- Earn an MPP degree that qualifies for a job-seeking visa in Germany (up to 18 months) after graduation
- No GRE required for admission
- No application fee!
Specialise in one area of public policy
At the end of your first semester, you will choose between two areas of concentration:
- Policy analysis focuses on analytical methods and tools used to tackle modern governance challenges – such as statistics, econometrics or behavioural economics.
- Management and organisation explores competences such as strategy, change management and organisational design.
In addition, tailor your second-year curriculum to your interests by taking electives in your chosen area of concentration, as well as from the Hertie School's entire master's course catalogue.
Want to gain even more international experience? Spend one year at the Hertie School in Berlin and one year at a world-renowned partner institution. At the end of the two-year programme, graduate with a degree from each university. The Hertie School has dual-degree programmes with the following partners for the MPP programme:
- Sciences Po School of Public Affairs
- Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University
- Bocconi University
- Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Tokyo
- London School of Economics
- School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University
The Hertie School offers full and partial scholarships covering between 10% and 100% of tuition fees. We grant tuition waivers for the entire period of study and allocate them on a rolling basis up until the final application deadline on 1 May. However, we encourage prospective students in need of financial assistance to apply by our priority deadline on 1 February.
About half of our students receive a financial aid offer from the school, and most students rely on a mixture of tuition waivers, external scholarships, loans and student jobs to finance their studies. Additionally, since the Hertie School is accredited by the US Department of Education, candidates from the US can also apply for US federal student aid (FAFSA), US Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards and the US Department of Veterans Affairs Aid to fund their studies.
We are currently accepting applications for the MPP programme. Check out the admission requirements, read our Frequently Asked Questions page, and submit your documents via our online application portal today. There is no application fee. We also do not require the GRE for admission.
- Certified Academic Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
Admission offers and scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis. Applicants who seek financial aid are encouraged to apply by the priority deadline.
Early-bird tuition reduction deadline: 30 November
Priority deadline: 1 February
Final deadline: 1 May
Total Students605 Students
- Students come from over 50 different countries
Get a head start on your career
Career development and practical training are integrated into the curriculum. In addition to developing soft skills in two professional development workshops, MPP students take a project course in collaboration with a public policy organisation to develop solutions for a real-world policy issue. All Hertie School students must complete a summer internship between their first and second year of study. Those who wish to gain even more work experience may apply for a Professional Year. To help students meet future employers, the school has established relationships with a range of institutions such as ministries, international companies and NGOs.
At the Hertie School, we know that career planning is a lifelong matter. Our dedicated career team is here for you – both during your time at the Hertie School and after you graduate. Schedule a one-on-one career counselling session, and take part in group workshops, alumni panels and other exclusive events.
What Our Students Say
At Hertie you get the opportunity to meet people in fields that you are interested in, network with them and then build your career from that.Joshua Aje (Nigeria), MPP ‘19
The best thing about the Hertie School is the diversity. I just loved meeting people from 50 countries, just to study. And you learn so much more than just in the classes with them.Isabella Ringe (Germany), MPP ‘19
At Hertie you get the opportunity to meet people in fields that you are interested in, network with them and then build your career from that.
The best thing about the Hertie School is the diversity. I just loved meeting people from 50 countries, just to study. And you learn so much more than just in the classes with them.
Tuition & Financial Aid
- Financial Aid Available
- Tuition: 18,250 EUR per year
- About 50% of students receive a financial aid offer
- Accredited by the US Department of Education (students may apply for US federal aid with FAFSA)