Details at a Glance
Financial Aid AvailableYes
The University of Manchester dates back to 1824 and is one of the top higher education institutions in the world. We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group; equivalent to the Ivy League.
We are one of the UK’s largest campus-based universities, with over 26,000 undergraduate and 14,000 postgraduate students. We are also the second most globally diverse university in the UK, with over 10,000 international students enrolling from over 160 countries worldwide. Each year we welcome a growing number of students from across the US, with around 400 students from the US studying at the University in 2019/20 – here are some of the reasons why:
- Ranking – Manchester ranks joint 27th in the world and 6th in the UK (QS Top Universities Rankings 2021)
- Research –83% of our research has been ranked to be ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’, placing us fifth in the UK in terms of research power across 35 discipline areas
- Staff – 13:1 student-to-Faculty ratio
- Campus – an urban campus located within walking distance of downtown Manchester, one of the largest and most exciting cities in the UK – reviewed by the New York Times.
- City – Manchester was the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, modern economics, and vegetarianism, communism and feminism
- Alumni – we have more than 8,500 alumni based in the USA alone. There are Manchester alumni based in all 50 states!
- Cost – tuition and living costs are competitively priced compared to US equivalent universities. We are FAFSA registered and can accept Federal Loans.
- Certified Academic Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Minimum GPA requirement is 3.0; preferred GPA is 3.3+. GRE/GMAT are only required for a very small number of programmes.
No specific application deadline but we always encourage early application. We are a very popular school and programmes may close when capacity is reached.
Some of our academic schools operate a 'staged admissions' policy. If this is applicable, it will be listed with the relevant programme information. Please see our online catalogue for full details.
Total Students40,000 Students
Clubs & Associations
Please visit the University of Manchester Students' Union website for full details
Tuition & Financial Aid
- Financial Aid Available
- A number of general $7,500 scholarships are available for US students (Terms & Conditions apply). Some academic schools have additional funding available. Please note that internal scholarships cannot be stacked/combined.