Urban Greening Internship with Environmental nonprofit in Cape Town
- Internship posted by Roots Interns - Greenpop
Hours per week
Minimum duration: 12 weeks (40 hours per week)
Contribute to environmental management and eco education in Cape Town
Do you have an interest in environmental management or urban greening? Are you looking for some valuable work experience? We have an exciting urban greening internship with Greenpop. This dynamic environmental organisation in Cape Town is a young but fast-growing social enterprise. They run tree planting and eco-education projects in Southern Africa and activate large groups of people to involve them in their green mission. Join Greenpop’s high-energy team as an intern. During this ngo internship you assist them with the urban greening program. Besides planting trees in the under greened areas of Cape Town you’ll capture data and create monitoring reports. While on other days you will do research, assist with educational programs and communications to all beneficiaries.
At Greenpop they are constantly engaging with communities and their sites for planting in their Urban Greening Program (UGP). The UGP consists of relationship management, educational content development and urban greening project management within and outside of the office. And it also requires a refined and concise monitoring system that allows for deeply engaging and activating students, staff and groundsman for environmental stewardship. The Planting & Sustainability Department is therefore always supported by several interns who perform focused tasks that integrate into the success of their Urban Greening Programme. Depending on your interests and skills, you will fill be involved in any of the following tasks.
- Assist with day to day activities: responding to & directing beneficiaries + sponsors, assisting with preparing sponsor reports & visual links,reporting on workshops & educational activities and general data input into excel spreadsheets.
- Assist with developing and coordinating educational content for beneficiary workshops & pop up workshops at the Eco-Education Hub and respective sites.
- Assist with data input, reporting & data analysis of excel spreadsheets.
- Join coordinator on site visits (for monitoring) and return to office for data input.
- Assist with preparations for & run planting days at sites around Cape Town.
- Work together with coordinator and Communications team to efficiently run Planting Communications (e.g. newsletter, Facebook group and weekly SMS communication for beneficiaries)
- All interns assist with office support, events, workshops and open days.
Skills and abilities you will learn during your internship with Greenpop:
- Lesson Planning & Workshop Development
- Reporting & Facilitation
- Program Coordination
- Managing an NGO database
- Indigenous plant knowledge
- Urban Greening Landscape of South Africa
For this work placement, Greenpop is looking for people with the following skills and qualifications.
- Background in Environmental Management, Landscape management, Botany, Horticulture or similar
- Interest in Urban Greening and Environmental Education
- Proficiency / interest in data analysis & reporting
- Work well in a team but also capable of working independently
- Bring your own laptop
About the organization
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that runs urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education projects in Southern and East Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 100,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The internship is based on a voluntary work placement which means you are not receiving any remuneration.
How To Apply
If you want to apply for this internship, send your CV and motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the following
- For the duration of this internship, you are based in Cape Town, South Africa.
- The starting and end dates of this internship are flexible and the internship is available almost during the entire year. The duration can be 2-6 months.
- During the internship, you will be linked to a supervisor/mentor who you will most likely be in daily contact with.
- As a US citizen, you can get a 90-day visa upon arrival at the airport, but some nationalities have to apply in advance for a visa in person with the South African embassy in the United States. Please reserve at least 6-8 weeks of your time to sort out any paperwork and the visa application process. Also if you intend to stay for longer than 90 days you have to apply in advance for a visa.
- If you apply for this internship you will be contacted by Roots Interns as they handle all internship applications for Greenpop. Roots Interns will also assist with finding you accommodation in Cape Town, organize airport transfers and provide you any support to prepare for your stay and while on the ground. Fees depend on the duration of your stay and type of accommodation. You van find more information on the website.