(Digital) Marketing and Sales Internship with nonprofit in Cape Town
- Internship posted by Roots Interns
Hours per week
40 hours per week, 3-6 months unpaid internship
61 Wale Street
Are you in for a challenge and a huge variety of tasks? Keen to work with an enthusiastic team that empowers local artists bead by bead to become breadwinners and community leaders? We offer an exciting Internship with Monkeybiz, an organization that achieved tremendous impact. They provide a basic income to many families who otherwise are left destitute. Monkeybiz looks for an intern who assists with their Digital Marketing, running their business and likes variety in his or her tasks. One day you will help out selling the art and telling the Monkeybiz story in the shop (and online). And the next day you assist with the market days or work on communications and fundraising activities.
Women from the townships in Cape Town work from home when creating art pieces using the art of traditional beading. It allows them to run their household and earn an income at the same time. Monkeybiz art is sold in shops all over the world as well as via the Monkeybiz website. As an intern with Monkeybiz you will be based in their colorful office in Bo-Kaap, Cape Town. It will be a great opportunity for you to get involved in multiple aspects of the daily operation of running a nonprofit organization. Depending on your interests, skills, and needs at that moment from Monkeybiz you will be involved in a variety of tasks, such as:
- Creating and posting content to our social media (Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest), e.g. writing, taking pictures and/or creating short videos.
- Creating content and sending newsletter to our mailing list
- Updating the website and webshop, a.o. taking and editing pictures of new art pieces for webshop
- Drafting press releases and articles
- Research possible media contacts and maintain a media database
- Marketing and sales:
- guide and present to groups coming to Monkeybiz, assist with sales and order process (intake, dispatch, pulling stories, etc.)
- helping out in the store, telling the Monkeybiz story to customers, taking cash and credit card sales and recording sales. Selection and display of retails goods in the shop.
- Assisting on market days, e.g. intake of art pieces, sorting, assisting with quality checks and payments, etc.
- Database entry & management for both sales opportunities (orders) and artists (purchases and orders from market days)
- Assist with fundraising activities and/or do market research
Skills and qualifications
- Work well with a team
- Have a just-do-mentality, be flexible and keen to take on different kind of tasks
- Have good written and spoken English skills
- Be precise, accurate and moving fast
- Bring your own laptop
You will gain experience in the following main areas
- Social media and creative writing
- Customer relationship management
- Operations of a nonprofit business
Main skills that can be developed
- Sales and communication skills
- Database management skills
- Operational management skills
- Social media communication skills
Please keep the following in mind
- For the duration of this internship, you are based in Cape Town, South Africa.
- The starting and end dates of this internship are flexible and the internship is available almost during the entire year. The duration can be 3-6 months.
- During the internship, you will be linked to a supervisor/mentor who you will most likely be in daily contact with.
- The internship with this non-profit is based on a voluntary work placement which means you are not receiving any remuneration.
- Many nationalities can get a 90-day visa upon arrival at the airport, that allows you to be engaged in volunteer work but some nationalities have to apply in advance for a visa in person with the South African embassy in your country. Please reserve at least 6-8 weeks of your time to sort out any paperwork and the visa application process. Also, if you intend to stay for longer than 90 days you have to apply in advance for a visa.
Monkeybiz is a nonprofit beading project supporting women in Khayelitsha (one of the biggest townships in Cape Town). Artists are empowered bead by bead to become breadwinners and community leaders. They are on a mission to alleviate poverty through financial empowerment, revive the art of beadwork and provide a platform, allowing the crafter to become artists. The crowning achievement of Monkeybiz is that it recognizes and develops the artistic ability of people who have never had the opportunity to express themselves through art. Monkeybiz is dedicated to reviving the tradition of African Beadwork, taking the love and knowledge that is passed down, over the centuries, from mother to child and becoming a bridge from traditional bead works into contemporary artworks. During the monthly market days, the artists come to the office to hand in their art pieces. And some artists are so good that their pieces are collector’s items for people all over the world and for which the artist receives a higher price.
If you apply for this internship you will be contacted by Roots Interns as they handle all internship applications for Monkeybiz. Roots Interns will also assist with finding you accommodation in Cape Town, organize airport transfers and provide you any support to prepare for your stay and while on the ground. Fees depend on the duration of your stay and type of accommodation. You van find more information on their website www. rootstinterns.com
How To Apply
Please include your CV and short motivation with your application