Hours per week
12 weeks (40 hours per week)
61 Wale Street
Roots is a young organisation, and as an intern, you can be a vital part of many aspects of our development. While a majority of the tasks are related to communications, but you can be involved marketing and strategy of Roots as well. In addition it will be an opportunity for you to interact with and learn about other grassroots nonprofits. We can adjust tasks to your skills, interests and experience.
- Doing marketing research
- Doing SEO analysis & helping design SEO strategy
- Helping develop social media and (content) marketing strategy
- Posting on social media (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn)
- Writing blogs
- Learning and writing about the work our non-profit partners are doing
- Interact with interns placed with our partners to collect content about their experiences, work of the organizations and impact they are making
- Strong English writing skills
- Some experience with social media and/or marketing is beneficial
- An ability to work quite independently
- Please note that you’ll need to have your own laptop
You will gain experience in the following main areas:
- Content marketing
- Social media marketing
- SEO strategy
- An understanding of the way grass-roots non-profit organisations work
Main skills that can be developed:
- Writing skills
- Strategic communication skills
- Research skills
About the organization
At Roots, we create the perfect balance between meaningful work and valuable learning through internships at non-profits & social enterprises in Africa. Roots Interns offers academic and practical internships at African non-profit organisations. Our mission is to create the perfect balance between meaningful work and valuable learning. That’s why we offer internships at NGOs and social enterprises that are adding valuable contributions towards community programs, conservation efforts, or local and green economies. We carefully match the right person with the right organisation to reach the most beneficial experience for everyone involved.
This internship will be with Roots Interns itself, so NOT with one of our nonprofit partners (although you will have the opportunity to get to know them and/or join them for a volunteering day)
- This internship is based on a volunteer work placement so, unfortunately, you won't receive any payment.
- Starting and ending dates of this internship are flexible. Duration: preferably 3 months but longer internships can be discussed.
- During the internship you will be based in Cape Town but you will have the opportunity to work from home (or cafe) for 1-2 days a week.
- Working days are Monday to Friday and every month, you can take two days of leave (as you probably also want to explore Cape Town and South Africa).