Hours per week
Minimum duration: 12 weeks (40 hours per week)
Help create a stimulating, learner-centered educational environment
Be part of an organization that supports an Educational Center on the shores of Lake Victoria in Kenya. This center provides education, food security, (health)care for over 300 vulnerable and orphaned children from the community. Children are also taught the ideals of respect and love, environmental awareness, social and economic empowerment. The focus is only toward the best education with the means available. During this Education and Pedagogy Internship in Kenya, you will use your knowledge and expertise to introduce and train staff to new pedagogical methods and approaches. And you assist the organization in implementing and designing their educational program to create a stimulating learning environment. An exciting opportunity if you have a passion for children, education and creating an environment allowing people to thrive and fulfill their potential.
The Educational Center is a non-formal school and responsible for the care and education of more than 300 children who otherwise couldn’t afford basics in life. Besides a nursery and primary school, the center houses a children’s home and acts as a sponsor for high-school and university. Children not only receive an education but are also taught the ideals of respect and love, environmental awareness, social and economic empowerment. The focus is only toward the best education with the means available (uniforms and learning materials, for example, are provided whenever possible).
You will work closely with the international team and especially the teaching staff (13 teachers). Your role will be designed according to your skills, desired learning outcomes, and needs of the Educational Center. The tasks include:
- Introduce and train the teachers/staff to new pedagogical approaches and methods in workshops
- Assist teachers to implement these new methods
- Support the creation of a learner-centered and stimulating culture at the Educational Center
- Support the design and implementation of educational programs and extracurricular activities
- Expect to also join classes and organize events/lessons for the children
During the weekends or weeks off, you have free time to relax or take the opportunity to explore Kisumu, wider Kenya, and Eastern Africa. You can also initialize workshops or excursions with the kids, the staff or the wider community, or just spend time with the team and the children, play football, volleyball and so on.
- Background in Education and Pedagogy
- Excellent understanding of different pedagogical concepts
- Excellent communicator and facilitator
- Self-motivated, flexible, independent, adaptable, warm-hearted, loving and caring
- The ability to respect and work with different cultures
- Good English skills
About the organization
The Foundation was founded in 2015 and they aim to empower and inspire people to initiate the individual and societal transformation we want to see. They work towards an environment allowing people to thrive and fulfill their potential. It is their role to build the capacity of people and organizations they work with, build bridges between agents of change to co-create this environment.
They work hand in hand with another foundation, that is operating an Educational Center providing education, food security, (health)care for over 300 vulnerable & orphaned children from the community. They provide financial support as well as helps the Center to strengthen their capacity by consult in organizational development, designing and managing educational and development projects. Additionally, they also facilitate vocational training, alternative educational programs, and training of teachers. The Center now houses a children’s home, non-formal nursery and primary school and acts as a sponsor for high-school and university. Aside from education, the children are taught the ideals of respect and love, environmental awareness, social and economic empowerment. They also have 14 acres of farm, as well as livestock like cows, pigs, chickens, goats, sheep, fish and rabbits to provide an income. The Center does not receive any government support, so it survives from agriculture, occasional donations and the passion of the people that work there.
- The internship with this non-profit is based on a voluntary work placement which means you are not receiving any remuneration.
- For the duration of this internship, you are based in accommodation on the premises of the Educational Center, that’s based near Kisumu on the shores of Lake Victoria, Kenya. The accommodation fee is based on a shared room and three meals a day (12 weeks: USD 1,568 - 24 weeks: USD 2,304)
How To Apply
If you apply for this internship, you will be contacted by Roots Interns as they handle the applications for this internship. Send your CV and short motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep the following in mind
- The starting and end dates of this internship are flexible and the internship is available almost during the entire year. The duration can be 3-6 months.
- During the internship, you will be linked to a supervisor/mentor who you will most likely be in daily contact with.
- You can apply for a 3 months visa online (or get it upon arrival at the airport) and this visa can be extended to 6 months if you plan to stay for longer than 3 months.