Creative Writing Internship with Environmental nonprofit in Cape Town
- Internship posted by Roots Interns - Greenpop
Hours per week
Minimum duration: 8 weeks (40 hours per week). Anything up to 6 months
Gain experience in content writing, creative writing, SEO, and blog management at an environmental non-profit.
Are you a strong writer with a passion for the environment? We have an exciting opportunity for you to be part of Greenpop; a dynamic environmental organisation based in Cape Town. This young but fast-growing NGO, runs environmental projects in Southern Africa and encourages people to get active, not anxious, about sustainability. With its strong focus on creating useful and positive green content, Greenpop has a dedicated communications team that can always do with extra input. During the Content Writing internship, you’ll get the opportunity to be part of an energetic team, get valuable experience in content writing, creative writing, SEO and blog management and contribute to a worthwhile cause.
Greenpop is an active organization that puts a large emphasis on reaching large audiences with its message. This involves strong communication efforts with different groups of people; project beneficiaries, (potential) funders, volunteers, interns, partners, stakeholders and anyone interested in sustainability and greening. As a Creative Writing intern in Greenpop’s Communications Department, you can be part of these efforts.
- Assist in defining a creative content strategy.
- Producing copy and creative content (simple graphics) to promote Greenpop’s events and fundraisers, share our story and encourage greener lifestyles.
- Writing copy and content for our website, blog, social media, brochures, direct mail campaigns, ads, and newsletters.
- Research current best use practices for social media content creation.
- All interns with Greenpop assist with office support, workshops, plant days, eco-hub open days.
You will gain experience in the following main areas
- Digital marketing
- Social media marketing
Main skills that can be developed
- Writing skills
- Strategic communication skills
- Research skills
About the organization
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that runs urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education projects in Southern and East Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 66,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The internship is based on a voluntary work placement which means you are not receiving any remuneration.
How To Apply
If you want to apply for this internship, send your CV, 2 writing samples and motivation to email@example.com.
Please note the following
- For the duration of this internship, you are based in Cape Town, South Africa.
- The starting and end dates of this internship are flexible and the internship is available almost during the entire year. The duration can be 2-6 months.
- During the internship, you will be linked to a supervisor/mentor who you will most likely be in daily contact with.
- As a US citizen, you can get a 90-day visa upon arrival at the airport, but some nationalities have to apply in advance for a visa in person with the South African embassy in the United States. Please reserve at least 6-8 weeks of your time to sort out any paperwork and the visa application process. Also if you intend to stay for longer than 90 days you have to apply in advance for a visa.
- If you apply for this internship you will be contacted by Roots Interns as they handle all internship applications for Greenpop. Roots Interns will also assist with finding you accommodation in Cape Town, organize airport transfers and provide you any support to prepare for your stay and while on the ground. Fees depend on the duration of your stay and type of accommodation. You van find more information on the website.