Fundraising and CSR Internship with Environmental nonprofit in Cape Town
- Internship posted by Roots Interns - Greenpop
Hours per week
Minimum duration: 12 weeks (40 hours per week). Any duration up until 6 months is possible
Manage donor relations and find funding opportunities for this non-profit
Are you a strong writer looking to help raising funds for a young, but fast growing ngo? And do you have an interest in marketing? We have an exciting opportunity for you with Greenpop. This dynamic environmental organisation in Cape Town runs tree planting and eco-education projects in Southern Africa. They also activate large groups people to get involved in their green mission and to (re)connect them with our planet. Their funding comes in through a range of different channels and they can always do with extra help. This fundraising internship offers you a variety of tasks and valuable organizational insights. You prepare reports, analyse data, prepare and submit grants, awards and proposals and do market research. In addition you communicate with donors in different ways and assist with digital fundraising platforms. As part of a high-energy team you help developing and maintaining long lasting donor relationships that ensure Greenpop’s programmes and projects.
Greenpop is a self-funded organization. Their funding comes in through a range of different channels; corporate sponsorship, individual tree sponsorship, participants at their reforestation festivals, the facilitation of plant days as team building exercises, fundraising events, online fundraising campaigns, and grants. During this Fundraising Internship, you will assist Greenpop’s Fundraising Manager in developing and maintaining long-lasting donor relationships that ensure an exciting journey for the donors supporting Greenpop Foundation’s programmes and projects.
Depending on your interests and skills and the needs of the organization at the time of your internship, you will be involved in a variety of task like:
- Donor Retention: master direct mailing system to prepare monthly donor newsletter, call-to-action alerts and event feedback reports. Work on continuously improving and evolving the donor journey.
- Support and administration: update information on digital fundraising platforms, manage merchandise stock levels and orders.
- Data analysis and reporting: assist with donor, monitoring and evaluation reports but also compile reports for proposals and presentations.
- Market(ing) research for new fundraising opportunities/partnerships/corporate social responsibility, assist with preparation and submission of grants, awards and proposals
- Assist with development and running of online fundraising campaigns and marketing activations.
- All interns also provide office support, assist with tree planting projects and at the Eco Education Hub.
You will gain insight into the fundraising & donor process, (online) fundraising, reporting, marketing (research) and grant writing/application process, reporting.
- Good English skills;
- Problem solver;
- Goal and target orientated;
- A creative mind and flexible attitude;
- Some knowledge of the social enterprise space;
- Nice to have: knowledge of or experience with Corporate Social Responsibility/Investment or fundraising;
- Interest or passion for trees, reforestation, and sustainability.
About the organization
Greenpop is a Cape Town based environmental NGO that runs urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education projects in Southern and East Africa. And they do it with a difference; they make it fun, accessible, and valuable for everyone involved. While planting trees is an important and very beneficial activity, Greenpop believes that unless communities are actively involved in and incentivised by the process, no lasting environmental change is possible. To date, Greenpop has planted over 66,000 trees – and activated thousands of people in the process.
Greenpop also represents a way of life. The energy and passion cultivated through Greenpop spreads far and wide with each new treevolutionary that joins the team. While the team works hard and focus on tasks at hand, they also know how to have fun, and create a quirky working environment. Greenpop’s aim is to create an ethical and green standard that resonates with all involved and helps create a fun and enjoyable working environment.
The internship is based on a voluntary work placement which means you are not receiving any remuneration.
How To Apply
If you want to apply for this internship, send your CV, 2 writing samples and motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the following
- For the duration of this internship, you are based in Cape Town, South Africa.
- The starting and end dates of this internship are flexible and the internship is available almost during the entire year. The duration can be 2-6 months.
- During the internship, you will be linked to a supervisor/mentor who you will most likely be in daily contact with.
- As a US citizen, you can get a 90-day visa upon arrival at the airport, but some nationalities have to apply in advance for a visa in person with the South African embassy in the United States. Please reserve at least 6-8 weeks of your time to sort out any paperwork and the visa application process. Also if you intend to stay for longer than 90 days you have to apply in advance for a visa.
- If you apply for this internship you will be contacted by Roots Interns as they handle all internship applications for Greenpop. Roots Interns will also assist with finding you accommodation in Cape Town, organize airport transfers and provide you any support to prepare for your stay and while on the ground. Fees depend on the duration of your stay and type of accommodation. You van find more information on the website.