Animal Welfare Fundraising Internship in Livingstone, Zambia
- Internship posted by Roots Interns - LAPS
Hours per week
Minimum duration: 8 weeks (40 hours per week)
Assist with digital fundraising, adoption programs, proposal writing, and fundraising research.
Be part of a small animal rescue organization in Zambia and gain valuable work experience in the fundraising sector. Addressing the issues of street animals and low animal welfare standards, this organization rescues, and re-homes neglected dogs and cats, runs vaccination campaigns, and teaches school children animal welfare workshops. During the animal welfare fundraising internship, you’ll assist with digital fundraising, adoption programs, proposal writing, and fundraising research. You’ll also have the opportunity to get involved with on the groundwork, including animal rescue and education programs, which will give you full insight into the way the organization operates. On top of this, you’ll get to spend some time in Livingstone, which is a friendly town on the Zambezi River, and close to the famous Victoria Falls.
You’ll be part of a small organization and while your main focus will be on fundraising, you’ll have the opportunity to be involved in a range of areas, including some field work. Your tasks during the animal welfare fundraising internship are likely to include the following:
- Research fundraising opportunities with international organizations and draft and submit grant applications
- Assist with donor relationship management
- Help run fundraising campaigns with local businesses and organize fundraising events
- Assist with managing online communication channels
- Organise pet adoption data and follow up with adopters
- Assist with monitoring and reporting
- Assist with organizing school visits and school clubs for education on animal welfare and bite avoidance
- Assist with animal rescue projects
- Good English speaking and writing skills
- Animal lover
- Prepared for hands-on experience with dogs, cats, donkeys and who knows what else
- Computer literate on WordPress, Excel, Instagram, Facebook, Word, Animoto (or similar)
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and up for a challenge
- Flexibility and ability to cope with the unexpected and lack of routine
- Ideally some experience in fundraising
- Please note that you’ll need to have your own laptop
- NB. For this internship, full medical insurance coverage and current rabies and tetanus vaccinations are a requirement
About the organization
LAPS was set up in 2014 by a group of friends keen to improve the welfare of domestic animals, mainly dogs and cats, in the Livingstone area. Their aims are to reduce the populations of feral dogs and cats, have a healthier, controlled population of owned dogs and cats, and to educate the local population on animal welfare, dog bite avoidance and on “one health” concepts – the concept that human health, animal health, and environmental health are all closely linked and co-dependent. The organization’s activities to date include mass vaccination and veterinary treatment outreaches in urban and rural areas, spay and neuter campaigns, educational visits to schools and clubs. The team has rescued over 100 dogs and 65 cats, most of which have been re-homed.
The internship is based on a volunteer work placement, which means you won't receive any payment.
How To Apply
If you apply for an internship with this organization (LAPS), you will be contacted by Roots Interns as they manage the applications for this internship. Please send your CV and motivation to email@example.com
Please note the following
- Start and end dates of the internship are flexible. You can start as from October 2018 but also as from January 2019. Duration of the internship: 12 weeks
- For the duration of this internship, you will be based in Livingstone. Keep in mind that accommodation fees for a 10-weeks stay start at USD 2,200 (lodge in a shared room including basic breakfast) or USD 1,500 (dorm room in a backpackers accommodation, a 30 minutes walk from the project).