The Market Manager is the chief administrator and key management leader of the Govans Farmers Market. The Market Manager reports to the GFM Steering Committee and Marie McSweeney Anderson, the Assistant Director for Loyola's York Road Initiative, and is responsible for overseeing the financial, operational, and strategic success of the organization. Other primary duties include leading marketing initiatives through social media, data and grant reporting, financial management, fundraising, communicating with vendors, community partners, media, and the public.
Govans Farmers Market, located in North Baltimore City seeks a part-time Market Manager for the 2021 season. Govans Market operates every Wednesday from June through September from 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm at 5104 York Road. The mission of the Market is to provide access to fresh produce, provide space to build community, and support small businesses and entrepreneurs.
This is a flexible, in-person, part-time contract position that can begin as soon as April 1:
- April 1 – April 30: 10 hours/week
- May 3 – October 8: 20 hours/week
Pay rate: $20 per hour
Must be available every Wednesday from June 2 to September 29 for in-person work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead planning of market space layout with Steering Committee, providing iterations of the market map for review
- Plan market layout and amenities and oversee the implementation
- Set-up and break down at each market including signage and tents with seasonal staff and volunteers
- Be present at each market, providing the highest level of customer service to vendors, community partners, sponsors, customers, and the public
- Support with the opening and closing of Market, staying onsite during market hours
- Provide support for vendors onsite including set-up and feedback from customers
- Monitor vendors compliance with Market guidelines and local/state regulations
- Coordinate waste pick-up, etc. - to ensure amenities are in place for Market and act as point person to troubleshoot issues
- Communicate and coordinate the schedule of nonprofit partners tabling at the market (if possible during COVID)
- Prepare weekly emails updating vendors regarding market and logistics that may impact the market day
- Oversee and support training seasonal intern staff on set-up and closing of the market as well as Market token system, EBT, and other state and local benefit programs
- Ensure new and returning vendors are given a copy of the Market guidelines and rules at the start of the Market season
- Coordinate with Vendors regarding attendance, contact vendors to fill absentee spots if needed
- Inventory and order promotional materials and apparel (t-shirts, totes, stickers, etc.);
- Conduct annual inventory of equipment and supplies
- Organize storage facilities; maintain marketing materials and first aid supplies.
- Put up and take down signage for the market;
- Take attendance at each market.
- Edit the market map to reflect absent/day vendors for each market and bring on-site;
- Arrange and staff information table/Manager's Tent during market hours;
- Be present at each market, providing the highest level of customer service and address any questions or feedback from vendors, customers, and volunteers;
- Handle opening and closing on market days, while staying onsite during market hours;
- Ensure all market signage, literature, merchandise, and handouts are properly and attractively displayed at all time during the market day;
- Delegate tasks and supervise seasonal intern staff at each market;
- Ensure a clean and safe environment;
- Check necessary supplies and equipment are at each market and maintained;
- Act as a point person between the Market, vendors, authorities, and any emergency personnel if an issue or incident arises.
- Monitor vendor compliance with health department requirements regarding food safety including, but not limited to food displays, equipment maintenance and inventory, hand washing stations, safe sampling, etc.; as well as any current Department of Health regulations concerning COVID-19 epidemic;
- Work closely with local public health inspectors and other agency inspectors to ensure regulatory issues are addressed within the market and by the vendors;
- Ensure compliance with federal and state agencies in regards to employment regulations as well as SNAP, FMNP, and other food assistance programs;
- Monitor vendor compliance with GFM guidelines and by-laws;
- Interpret and enforce Market guidelines and rules in a fair and consistent manner, educate vendors, and issue violations to vendors as necessary.
- Conduct the day-to-day operations of the organization, including (but not limited to): respond to all BFM inquiries (phone, email, social media); member outreach; and managing marketing and communications;
- Schedule and organize steering committee meetings plus vendor meetings
- Regularly update vendors with news and opportunities; ensuring contact information and mailing lists are current and vendor rent is paid;
- Present and prepare an annual report
Brand Management and Marketing
- Be the face and voice of the Govans Farmers Market at events and meetings in the community
- Work to secure in-kind photography and branding to promote the Market;
- Manage GFM social media channels and website content;
- Prepare press stories on the Market with local media.
- Ensure vendors are paid in a timely manner and monitor the organization's spending and grants in collaboration with Associate Director of Administration;
- Work with Associate Director of Administration to ensure accounts are reconciled;
- Prepare and submit data for grant reporting
- Collect space fees from vendors and provide receipts;
- Collect and count market tokens, coupons, etc. from vendors at each market;
- Prepare checks for vendor payments for the Market Manager or Associate Director to sign;
- Maintain accurate records from each market including attendance, revenue data, and vendor payments/reimbursements;
- Submit weekly reports to SMADC for the Maryland Market Money program.
- Oversee three youth interns from June 21 through August 23 who will support the manager in weekly duties, planning, vendor support, and customer service.
Please submit a letter of intent, resume, and three references to the Govans Farmers Market Steering Committee via email to email@example.com by April 10, 2021.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/ygpJwwFgYEr5CymVI6brK" />