At the PSU Foundation, we believe in the power of higher education to transform lives. We are a mission-driven organization focused on advancing Portland State University through relationships, community connections and philanthropy. As part of our team, you’ll join a group of passionate, committed and engaged individuals working to empower students, faculty and the communities we serve. Join us.
The PSU Foundation is currently searching for a creative, thoughtful and detail-oriented Director of Development, Central to join our team of highly talented individuals who work together to advance the mission of higher education. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, the Director of Development is a frontline fundraiser and the primary relationship manager for a select portfolio of current and prospective donors, with the goal of soliciting major gifts of $50,000 or more. The Director will manage their portfolio through all phases of the development process with a primary emphasis on increased giving in centrally-managed schools and colleges as well as other institutional priorities.
The Director of Development will work collaboratively with central Foundation staff, unit-based development staff, faculty and leaders in planning and implementing solicitation strategies that are most beneficial to the advancement of PSU as a whole. The director will also have responsibilities related to development program administration in centrally-managed units, including: annual and strategic development planning; individual foundation and corporate engagement; donor stewardship and recognition; external communications; philanthropic scholarships; fellowships, prizes, and other funds; annual fund appeals; events; and other related administrative functions.
- Meet annual metrics and fundraising goals in support of Foundation fundraising priorities.
- Manage a robust portfolio of prospects through all phases of the development process including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship; initiate, design, and execute strategies for assigned prospects based on capacity for support, existing relationships with PSU, and alignment with University priorities.
- Serve as a strategic partner to deans and academic leaders with respect to advisory groups as a source of philanthropic advice and direct support.
- Write, edit, or assist faculty in developing proposals for individual, corporate, and foundation support.
- Devise and manage packaged solicitations to coordinate multiple University interests in the same prospect.
- Identify and qualify new prospects through research, networking and discovery visits.
- Participate in planning and executing fundraising and stewardship events, including site visits.
- Represent Portland State at university and community events and professional association information sessions.
- Work with deans and others to recruit, organize, and motivate volunteers capable of making major gifts and connecting the University with others who can make such gifts.
- Utilize fundraising database and reporting to document, track and analyze donor and prospect information; inform fundraising and communication strategies; and, ensure information on file is accurate, comprehensive and correctly reflects donor intent.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of five years of relevant fundraising experience including proven success in securing major ($50K+) and principal gifts ($1M+).
- Extensive experience in prospect cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Evidence of successful performance in a highly collaborative, team-oriented organization.
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven experience in writing proposals and stewardship reports for donors.
- Able to travel and work evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency is a must including experience using MS office applications, Google Docs, and other relevant software.
- Reliable, regular, and predictable attendance.
- Advanced degree and CFRE Certification.
- Fundraising experience in higher education, particularly a large, public university, or a comparably complex organization.
- Familiarity with donor databases.
- Knowledge of Portland’s donor community.
- Experience with campaign fundraising.
Characteristics and Cultural Competencies:
- Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates differences.
- Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement.
- Is committed to these core values that guide our ethical, professional approach to our work: collaboration, integrity, transparency, empowerment, donor-centric.
Other Essential Information:
- Department: Development, Central
- Work Days/Hours: Full-time
- Benefits Eligible. For a full list of our awesome offered benefits, please visit: https://www.psuf.org/careers
- Pay Grade Level: ($75,888 to $98,655 depending on experience)
PSU Foundation an EEO employer. To learn more about the foundation, our strategic direction and our financial impacts, please visit: https://www.psuf.org/about-psu-foundation
Ready to apply? We are looking forward to hearing from you! Please visit: www.psuf.org/careers to apply.