Digital Communications Associate
Greater San Francisco Bay Area or other areas in California are preferred. Working remotely is a possibility.
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.Program Summary ABOUT RISE UPRise Up
, based at the Public Health Institute, activates women and girls to transform their lives, families and communities for a more just and equitable world through investing in local solutions, strengthening leadership, and building movements. Since 2009, Rise Up's powerful network of over 600 leaders have successfully advocated for 120 new and improved laws and policies impacting the lives of 135 million people in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the U.S.
Rise Up is at an exciting time of growth and expansion-we have a new strategic plan that will maximize the organization's impact to more effectively support Rise Up Leaders to create large-scale change for gender equity globally, and we recently received our largest gift ever from MacKenzie Scott. As a new member of Rise Up's diverse team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to our organization's voice and digital strategy and raise awareness about the importance of advancing gender equity globally.Position Summary
Rise Up seeks a Digital Communications Associate to join our growing communications team and develop and implement strategies and content to grow our audiences and raise visibility of the impact of our global programming through social media, email communications, Rise Up's website, and other channels. The Digital Communications Associate will focus on leveraging Rise Up's digital channels and tools to streamline and strengthen the execution of our communications strategies.
Candidates in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area or other areas in California are preferred. Working remotely is a possibility.Pay:
$26.17 to $31.74 per hour. The typical hiring range for this position is $26.17 to $31.74 per hour (with an approximate annualized salary of $54,431 to $66,011 based on 100% FTE). The starting wage is determined based on the candidate's knowledge, skills and experience.Essential Duties & Responsibilities Email Campaign and Website Communications (40%)
Programmatic Communications (30%)
- Draft, curate and edit content for newsletter, fundraising and other email communications
- Set up e-blast communications in Mailchimp and create design and text elements
- Contribute ideas for newsletter stories, campaigns, and blogs
- Publish blogs, updates, and announcements and make edits to WordPress website
- Collect and analyze data to monitor and improve the effectiveness of communications by compiling digital analytics (social media, e-communications, website)
- Maintain contact management system in Salesforce and Mailchimp, including contact segmentation
Social Media (30%)
- Provide editing and copywriting support for Rise Up programs team, including on grant announcements, program launch materials, and program impacts
- Serve as liaison to programs team by staying up-to-date on upcoming programmatic activities to help address communications needs and fulfill funder requests
- Support Rise Up Leaders to amplify their voices and leverage and respond to communications and development opportunities
- Help Rise Up build support and visibility on social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram) by drafting, strategizing, and curating content, scheduling all social posts, and engaging on social platforms through retweets, comments, and active monitoring.
- Create text and design graphic posts for social media channels highlighting Leader stories, programmatic and fundraising successes, and updates, in alignment with our communications and fundraising strategies
- Amplify posts from Rise Up Leaders and partners and create social media toolkits and resources to help stakeholders share our work to grow our audiences
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.Minimum Qualifications:
- Minimum 1 year of professional communications experience is required. Experience at a non-profit or foundation is preferred.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Relevant digital communications experience
- Experience creating content for social media
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Deep commitment to advancing gender equity globally
- Experience working in a multi-cultural work environment
- Willingness and ability to travel 10-20% of the time, both domestically and internationally (when it is safe to do so)
- Experience with Mailchimp and WordPress
- Graphic design skills / experience in Canva
- Experience creating and monitoring digital ads
- Spanish language proficiency
- Video editing experience is a plus
Associate degree is required, or you can substitute with two additional years of related experience.Important Information
All PHI employees are required to receive full COVID-19 vaccinations in order to access PHI worksites and/or engage in in-person work activities, unless they are granted a reasonable accommodation under applicable law.
Rise Up is committed to advancing social, gender, and racial justice. We value having a team that brings a wide range of perspectives and identities including ethnicity, race, gender, socio-economic background, language, political and religious beliefs, sexual orientation, and abilities. We believe that the lived experiences of our employees and their unique ideas inspire innovative solutions. As such, we especially seek applications from people who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Color, transgender, gender-nonconforming, LGBQ+, and people living with disabilities.The Public Health Institute is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. We recognize the value of having a staff that brings a wide range of perspectives to this work based on language, ethnicity, race, gender, socio-economic background, political beliefs and sexual-orientation. We are committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment and particularly support applications from individuals with lived experience in the communities we seek to serve.EEO Statement
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.For further information regarding Equal Employment Opportunity, copy and paste the following URL into your web browser: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdfADA Statement:The Public Health Institute is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Recruitment Team at least 48 hours in advance at Recruitment@phi.org.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute's job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We're so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org
.Find out more about the benefits of working at PHI.
To apply, visit https://www.phi.org/employment/current-opportunities/digital-communications-assistant/