Director of Finance and Operations
- Job posted by Code2040
Code2040 is a community of Black and Latinx technologists and their allies who are diversifying tech to create a more equitable, inclusive, and prosperous economy. Through high-impact direct service programs, robust in-person and online community engagement, and dynamic storytelling and knowledge sharing, Code2040 empowers and mobilizes diversity champions across the industry. Our goal is to ensure that by 2040 – the beginning of the decade when the US will be majority people of color – Black and Latinx people are fully represented in and leading the innovation economy and have the economic and social capital needed to thrive and build generational wealth. Learn more about our vision, model, and impact at www.code2040.org
At Code2040, we don't just accept difference – we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our team and the communities we serve. Code2040 is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by law. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
Our team is looking for a Director of Finance and Operations to build, direct and manage the organization's fiscal functions; create systems that allow visibility of the financial present and future of the organization; work alongside our programs and revenue teams to strategically lead us through projections; choose a collection of resources between technology, staffing, and outsourcing that support a strong proportional organization infrastructure as we grow; and steward the organization financially to make smart resource decisions with an eye toward long-term financial health. The Director of Finance and Operations will be a key member of Code2040's leadership team and will report to the CEO.
- Ensure timely and accurate budget analysis and financial reporting
- Co-create and manage the budget creation and budget management processes, collaborating with department heads, the accounting team and executives; ensure these processes foster equitable decision-making and provide training to all budget managers
- Provide thought partnership in developing high-level revenue goals and milestones for different program and revenue teams; build system and tools through which to quantify trade-offs
- Direct and coordinate financial planning functioning and prepare financial outlooks and forecasts; work with department managers and executive team to develop multi-year business plans and financial goals for the organization and inform key decisions with financial and operational implications
- Build and implement benchmark and KPI dashboards for measuring financial and operating performance in an equitable way
- Recommend and develops financial policies, procedures, and systems to meet company objectives
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the company's risk profile
- Lead finance committee meetings on a quarterly basis
- Develop and maintain cash flow forecast and tracking system
- Create policies that rest at the intersection of organizational efficiency and equity
People Operations and Systems
- Understand the unique relationship finance and finances present for many people of color, first-generation grads, and/or low-income people and design training and accountability that takes those relationships into account
- Audit our current systems (examples include: office norms, goal setting, onboarding and exiting staff, expense reporting, etc.), identifying challenges and areas of opportunity to improve efficiencies and improving them when possible
- Manage the relationship with payroll, health benefits, employment insurance and all other people operations vendors
- Create organizational systems that scale and forecast when those systems will need to be readdressed based off the size and inputs needed
- Strategically articulating new processes to our team and training them on these processes, ensuring that expectations are aligned
- Work with team members and external experts to ensure that our systems support Code2040's aspiration for racial equity
Operations, Technology, and Logistics
- Lead, execute, and troubleshoot all aspects of operations and logistics that support the programs teams and organizational leadership
- Provide strategic direction for improving operational systems and processes integrating the wants and needs of our team in the short and long run
- Oversee data management, analytics, equipment purchasing, vendor management and IT infrastructure, ensuring the requirements of the organization and each team within are met
- Create and maintain a healthy physical environment for staff and guests
- Hire and supervise a small but high impact operations team
- Management and oversight of all accounting, legal, ethics, and compliance functions at Code2040
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage
As the incoming Director of Finance and Operations, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You bring 8+ years of experience in a similar finance or accounting role at a non-profit; experience in fast-growing organizations preferred. You are familiar with unrestricted and restricted grants and related reporting; experience with earned income streams preferred.
- You offer experience developing and implementing change management processes and working successfully in ambiguous and changing environments. We are a growing organization that revamps ourselves frequently to achieve our mission; your understanding of how to manage systems and behavioral change will allow you to thrive in this environment.
- You are able to spot potential problems before they occur and proactively implement solutions.
- You are a deeply self-aware listener who can hear organizational challenges or pain points as indicators of the need for systems building.
- You are a great leader who inspires and can manage a team of professionals – both staff and contractors/vendors – and provide coaching, guidance, and clear expectations to staff in order to grow their expertise. You are also skilled in collaborating across teams and functional areas.
- You are engaged in an ongoing personal racial equity and identity journey and are at ease in conversations about the intersection of race, power, and systems creation. You have lived or working knowledge of the unique experiences of Black and/or Latinx communities.
- You hold an MBA or CFA and are an actively licensed CPA.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Code2040 offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Code2040 has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to Karla Monterroso at https://ats.k2-app.com/jobPosting/apply/2125. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
A few tips for writing your cover letter: Don't just repeat your resume; we'll read that too. Your cover letter is your chance to shine and connect your past experience with what we're looking for. Tell us:
- The unique mix of skills and experience you will bring to the role and our team.
- How you will thrive in the role; what have you done in the past that demonstrates you can be successful?
- What about Code2040's mission excites you? Why do you want to work with a passionate team committed to disrupting the innovation economy?
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.
Minimum Education Required