- Job posted by Catapult Design
LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY: CEO, CATAPULT DESIGN
We are seeking a leader to build on Catapult Design’s legacy and lead the organization into its next phase. Catapult is a design consultancy that is a mission-driven, 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Our mission is to make design accessible to bold organizations solving global challenges.
WHERE WE ARE TODAY
All people, everywhere, should have access to thoughtful and inspired products that suit their needs and aspirations.
This was our call to action when we built Catapult in 2008. As a group of designers and engineers driven by design for social change, we navigated the global development landscape, adapting our approach and services based on where we could provide the greatest value.
Since then, our services have expanded to include product development, service design, strategic capacity building, and design workshops. We’ve helped our clients uncover new opportunities to meet customer needs by tailoring our engagements to their specific challenges. Catapult has built a solid reputation based on our vetted experiences and expertise by leveraging our strong global network of sector and technical experts.
Over the past 10 years, Catapult has worked with 47 clients on 59 design projects in 15 countries.
In that time frame, we have also led countless workshops and talks on design and social impact at academic institutions, conferences, and others. We’ve earned $5.2 million in revenue and philanthropic contributions, with our annual budget increasing an average of 53% per year.
Our clients include social entrepreneurs, foundations, NGOs, industry associations, academic institutions, and corporations working with under-served markets or communities around the world. We’ve also self-funded eleven of our own Catapult projects, which include design events and the creation of digital tools for Native entrepreneurs.
With these accomplishments under our belt, we reflect on our mission, our approach, and our beliefs to consider what’s next.
There remains no shortage of social challenges in both “developing” and “developed” countries that could benefit from creative and people-centered intervention.
Since we started this work, social entrepreneurship has found its spotlight, a young workforce of designers has emerged hungry for meaningful work, and there are funders who value design as a means to problem-solving more than ever before.
With an annual budget of $1 million and an extensive global network of clients and consultants, Catapult is poised to embark on the next phase of its long-standing position as a leader in the design for global good space.
The organization is currently in a strong financial position, including appropriate cash balances to run operations and reserves to venture into new possibilities. This is a time of great opportunity for the right leader!
WHAT IT TAKES TO LEAD CATAPULT
Catapult is seeking a leader who can articulate a vision and present a clear and viable plan of action for achieving that vision. While there are attributes and skills we seek for our leader based on our experiences, we are not looking to check boxes. We encourage all with a strong vision and plan of action to apply.
Education, Experience, Skills
- Experience marketing and selling creative services through direct sales or grant writing
- Experience in the international development sector, including time spent abroad
- Experience liaising and managing relationships with international development institutions, funding institutions, and social entrepreneurs
- Established connections and resources in the nonprofit and international development world
- Significant experience in developing outreach strategies and action plans, ideally in a socially responsible NGO, corporate environment, major foundation, or academic institution
- Superb communication skills, including writing and public speaking
- Knowledgeable and comfortable in a broad set of venues, including corporations, foundations, development agencies, and startups
- Ability to develop programs with specific objectives and quantifiable results
- A track record of professional accomplishments at a level sufficient to allow access to senior decision-makers
- Passion for the mission of Catapult and the desire and ability to communicate that passion and mission both inside and outside the organization
- Contextual understanding of places in the world that Catapult operates in
- A listener who is open-minded and adaptable
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate to a wide variety of constituents, including board members, consultants, and clients (existing and potential)
- A leader who respects the abilities of others; someone who projects trust and integrity, and guides others in a similar vein
- Strong commitment to transparency and the sharing of information with Board, staff, and key constituents
- Demonstrated flexibility, drive, and ability to work in an agile environment
- Ability to think “on your feet” and see/ communicate opportunities
- A good sense of humor
BENEFITS OF CATAPULT
- The opportunity to apply your life experiences and knowledge to capitalize on the past accomplishments of Catapult and lead it forward with a new strategic vision for its future
- Partnering with a Board that brings extensive knowledge and experience from the design and social impact sector
- Working with an exceptional staff and passionate, committed Catapult consultants
- Domestic and international travel to places where the project work is happening
- Invitation to socializing or speaking events, meeting a range of global change-makers
- Collaborating and partnering with a wide array of exciting social entrepreneurs, foundations, NGOs, industry associations, academic institutions, and corporations locally and around the world
- Joining an organization that is financially healthy and stable
- A competitive salary commensurate with the demands of the position and size of the organization (based on the 2018 Colorado Nonprofit Salary Survey), plus a substantial benefits package
- A flexible work environment with the freedom to work from home or anywhere else
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
The search is immediate and expected to go through November 26th, 2018. All qualified candidates must submit a resume and cover letter to Nadine at firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter, please address how you meet the skills, experiences, and characteristics in the ‘What It takes to lead Catapult Design’ section. Please also include your salary requirement. All information must be received via email with ‘CEO Catapult’ in the subject line. No hard copies or phone calls, please. We expect to select candidates for first round of phone interviews by end November.
Since Catapult is headquartered in Denver, Colorado, it is encouraged for the new CEO to reside there. This is, however, not a requirement. The candidate must reside in the United States.
For more on the culture of Catapult and the CEO job search, go to catapultdesign.org/CEOsearch