The Brookings Institution
Equal-Opportunity Employer: It is Brookings policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all of its employees and applicants without regard to their actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, citizenship status, family responsibilities, gender identity or expression, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, veteran status, or any other prohibited basis of discrimination as required by law.Workday Solutions Lead (Job ID: 2021-2760)
Regular, Introductory# of Openings:
1. Resident EmployeeOverview
Join one of the most influential, most quoted and most trusted think tanks!
The Brookings Institution is a nonprofit public policy organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to conduct in-depth research that leads to new ideas for solving problems facing society at the local, national and global level.
We bring together leading experts in government and academia from all over the world, rooted in open-minded inquiry and representing diverse points of view, who provide the highest quality research, policy recommendations, and analysis. Research topics cover a full range of public policy issues in economics, foreign policy, development, governance and metropolitan policy.
With fair and transparent business practices, clear communication, mutual respect, and a collaborative atmosphere that offers both professional and personal development opportunities, Brookings offers an inclusive and welcoming workplace that values the efforts of all contributors.
The Brookings Institution will be undergoing a full Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) platform implementation with a target completion date of early 2023. The platform, Workday, will include both Financials and Human Resources modules and functions. The Workday Solutions Lead will be directly responsible for designing, delivering, and supporting Workday solutions—with a focus on integrations—and ensuring that the Workday platform, as a whole, delivers a secure and exceptional experience for Brookings staff.
This is a critical position within the Brookings Technology (BTech) department, reporting to the Senior Project Manager, starting from the Readiness phase of the project, running through to the stable launch of the new ERP system. After the launch, the Workday Solutions Lead will be a leading member of the post-GO LIVE Workday team and will have the opportunity to shape the support model as well as the future direction of the Workday platform as a whole.
The Workday Solutions Lead will drive the technical aspects of the Workday implementation project to a successful conclusion that is on time and on budget and that transforms the employee experience. In this role, they will serve as a key member of the overall ERP Team, working closely with the ERP Implementation Partner, BTech staff, and other ERP stakeholders to ensure that (1) all Technology tasks are in alignment with the overall Workday implementation project plan; that (2) project risks and issues are addressed, escalating to the Workday Lead PM as needed; that (3) decisions are made in a timely manner; and that (4) ERP Technology deadlines are being met.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent Workday technical skills, particularly in the area of developing and maintaining integrations; strong project management and business analysis skills; and the ability to work effectively with multiple groups of stakeholders, both internal and external.
Position Location: This position is based in Brookings' Washington, DC office. The person hired for this position must be willing to move to or currently reside in Washington DC, Maryland, or Northern Virginia by their date of hire.
Operating status: Brookings eligible employees are currently authorized to work remotely but will be moving towards a hybrid plan later this year, which will require working both in the office and remotely. All vaccinated Brookings employees who wish to work from the office can do so. Brookings policies on masks and other pandemic mitigation measures will continue to be informed by DC and CDC guidelines.
Vaccine Policy: Brookings has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, Brookings recently announced that staff on Brookings campus this fall are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Brookings will require all staff and visitors to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 to be in Brookings buildings.
As a visitor and/or a new employee at Brookings, you will be required to comply with the vaccination policy. Individuals invited for an in-person job interview or hired as an employee that (i) have a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination, or (ii) who object to being vaccinated based on a sincerely held religious belief, may request a reasonable accommodation.
Ready to contribute to Brookings success?
Application Development, Integrations, Configuration (35%)
- Overall, work closely with ERP Implementation Partner, Brookings ERP staff, BTech staff, and third-party vendors on full development life cycle for Workday integrations (iterative rounds of requirements, design, build, test, and deploy), including decommissioning integrations when no longer needed
- Design, build, test, and deploy Workday integration solutions using pre-built connectors or custom code
- Participate in business requirements and design meetings and recommend and provide input on proposed system solutions
- Work closely with Finance and HR technical and functional leads to confirm system designs meet stated business requirements
- Specify key system/technical requirements (including to ensure alignment with BTechs' technical standards and strategies) and define technical acceptance criteria
- Conduct unit testing, system testing, and performance testing
- Support Finance and HR leads in troubleshooting issues during user acceptance testing (UAT) and other types of end-to-end testing
- Obtain formal signoff from business users before deploying solutions to Production
- Create and maintain detailed technical documentation to support design and ongoing maintenance of solutions
- Coordinate closely with and support Finance and HR project managers (PM) by performing PM functions including, but not limited to, providing level of effort estimates and target dates for technical deliverables; developing and adjusting technical plans, tasks, and overall workload to meet deadlines; reporting on project status; and raising/addressing issues and risks that may impact timelines, budgets, and quality
- Serve as main point of contact with third-party vendors to coordinate all technical work
- Work closely with Finance and HR technical and functional leads to continually assess business outcomes and technical metrics of existing integrations to identify and deliver performance improvements while reducing complexity
Application Administration, Support, and Technical Coordination (30%)
- Coach and train other BTech staff to serve as backup for Workday technical duties
- Provide Tier 2 support and troubleshooting on complex or critical issues escalated by HR and Finance technical leads (Tier 1)
- Manage and communicate comprehensive tenant management strategy for Workday (e.g. align project activities with specific tenants, manage refresh schedule)
- Oversee Workday release process and work with HR and Finance technical leads and vendors to respond to business impacts and opportunities of new features/upgrades
- Be responsible for overall management and execution of Workday change control board and project pipeline: Coordinate with HR and Finance technical leads to determine project priorities; evaluate, communicate, and address potential conflicts from proposed changes (configuration or development) that have downstream impacts across different Workday modules and functional areas
- Stay abreast of opportunities to innovate and help define technology standards, practices, and strategy for Workday platform
Data Migration (25%)
- Work with HR and Finance technical and functional leads to confirm data to be migrated from legacy systems to Workday
- Oversee and support cleansing, extraction, and conversion of data into Workday format
- Work with ERP Implementation Partner to ensure that data is successfully loaded into appropriate Workday environments
- Work with HR and Finance technical leads to ensure loaded data is validated
- Transition to HR and Finance technical leads primary support for loading historical and other data into Workday once implementation project is complete
Security Administration (10%)
- Work with HR and Finance leads to confirm Workday security role requirements
- Configure, assign, and regularly audit security roles
Ready to make an impact? In this role, you will support Brookings values of collegiality, respect, inclusion, diversity and community, and bring the following qualifications:
- Minimum of five years' experience with full life cycle of application development projects (analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, and maintenance) for medium to large scale enterprise-level HCM, Payroll, and/or Financial ERP cloud platforms
- Experience leading similar projects and working in cross-functional teams
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in Information Systems, Computer Science, HR, Accounting, or related)
- Extensive hands-on experience building and supporting integrations using Workday tools (e.g. EIB, Core Connectors, Cloud Connect, Workday Studio)
- Experience with Workday deployment methodology (for initial implementations)
- Experience migrating from on-premise versions of PeopleSoft to cloud ERP
- Experience with Workday Security
- Experience with Web Services, SOAP, XML, XSLT, REST, JSON, HTTP, SSL, PGP, etc.
- Workday certifications
- Experience with Microsoft tools, particularly Excel, SharePoint, Teams, Visio, and Project
- Experience in a non-profit environment
- Exceptional ability to connect functional/business needs to optimal technical solution
- Strong written, oral, and people skills in order to effectively build relationships and communicate with stakeholders at all levels, particularly to bridge gap between technical and functional staff
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to implement needed solutions and see projects through to completion in face of rapid priority shifts and at times potentially ambiguous needs
- Sound judgment, creativity, resourcefulness, agility, and a growth mindset
- Ability to influence and negotiate without formal direct authority (i.e. provide expert recommendations while having comfort with not being final decision maker)
- Ability to prioritize workload and execute tasks independently, particularly to meet deadlines
- Ability to identify risks before they evolve into issues and ability to solve issues when they arise
- Ability to mentor and coach others
- Knowledge and comfort with project management and business analysis techniques, concepts, and tools
- Working knowledge of core financial, HR, and payroll principles and business processes
What can we offer you? Brookings provides a generous benefit package that is comprehensive and includes both traditional benefits and unique offerings.
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply. Please note: if you have applied to more than one Brookings job opening you should add a position-specific cover letter as a separate attachment.
Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.
Brookings welcomes and celebrates diversity in all its forms. We welcome applications that reflect a variety of backgrounds based on ideology, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, first generation college goers, and other factors protected by law. Brookings is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/V7lX16HjkoPOCWYaFZgry" />