Staff Assistant, Strategic Partnerships (Staff Assistant III)
- Job posted by Harvard University
403033 Staff Assistant III
Duties & Responsibilities
The Center for Public Leadership (CPL) at Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) has an immediate opening for a Staff Assistant to join our team. The Staff Assistant will work with the Strategic Partnerships (SP) team to administratively support the cultivation of key relationships with CPL stakeholders to advance the development of outstanding public leaders at HKS.
The Strategic Partnerships portfolio engages CPL's donors, fellowship alumni and other Harvard and non-Harvard entities in the work of the Center to keep them connected to, informed of and involved in the Center's leadership development work to support and strengthen our abilities to develop outstanding public leaders.
The Staff Assistant works independently performing a wide range of complex and confidential administrative duties to support program activities across the portfolio. Working as an integral part of an energetic team, the Staff Assistant will report to the SP Engagement Manager. The Staff Assistant will be responsible for a variety of complex administrative, communication, and program-related activities. He/she will work as a meaningful thought partner to colleagues, and as a key point of administrative execution for the Strategic Partnerships team for the purpose of advancing key administrative, communications and programmatic projects for CPL's donors, fellowship alumni and all other internal and external stakeholders strategic to the Center's work. The Staff Assistant is expected to anticipate, communicate and resolve problems and recommend process improvements to the team.
The successful candidate will be a motivated and resourceful self-starter with the ability to meet deadlines, creatively and independently problem-solve, track multiple projects and deliverables, and communicate clearly with a broad range of stakeholders including staff, senior leadership, faculty, donors, current and former students, and other internal and external parties.
This role is ideal for someone who thrives in a creative, fast moving, entrepreneurial environment, yet has the patience, situational awareness, and emotional intelligence to effectively navigate the wider university ecosystem as needed.
Continued in Additional Information section.
2 years of relevant administrative or event focused work experience
Successful candidates will possess strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, the ability to prioritize and handle a wide range of tasks and projects simultaneously, good judgment, strong initiative and problem-solving skills, and strong attention to detail, as is:
- Bachelor's degree strongly preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office and social media channels including Facebook and Twitter
- Familiarity with and/or willingness to learn Mailchimp, Wordpress, Qualtrics, Google Docs and Forms.
- Strong project coordination, organization and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative but also to seek and take direction appropriately.
- Learning mindset and entrepreneurial spirit
- Interest in relationship management and inter-disciplinary collaboration
- Proven ability to establish and manage good working relationships with colleagues and collaborate effectively with a dynamic team, as well as with stakeholders at every level (including students, policy makers, alumni, faculty, and more)
- Must be self-motivated, creative and comfortable building collaborative relationships throughout the organization
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion
- Excellent writing skills, along with strong communication and troubleshooting skills
- Curiosity and desire to learn and develop new areas of expertise
- Familiarity with Harvard systems, applications and policies preferred
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and independently problem-solve; independent, creative thinker with a point of view and the ability to lead through influence.
- Additional Information
- Support to the Strategic Partnerships Team
- Execute administrative and logistical support to the Strategic Partnerships team to support the linkage of CPL's work to its diverse stakeholder groups such as organizing and preparing materials, maintaining and updating systems of organization and communication, scheduling regular team and cross-team meetings, making travel arrangements, proofreading, triaging tasks, and project facilitation.
- Compile, edit and finalize written communications such as weekly internal updates to leadership team and key staff, internal meeting agendas, and other documents as assigned by Engagement Manager.
- Prepare and mail, when required, key portfolio materials such as meeting materials, stakeholder correspondence, and other documents.
- Organize and track portfolio projects, requests and deliverables needing follow-up or execution for key stakeholders or projects.
- Maintain organization of confidential stakeholder information including files, lists, databases, and other systems and develop new methods with support from Engagement Manager and Associate Director, as needed.
- Conduct research and data analysis relating to alumni statistics, stakeholder background, portfolio trends, and more to contribute to reports, briefings, presentations, inquiries and other communications.
- Provide high-level logistical and administrative support for portfolio events and meetings including scheduling, meeting coordination, room reservations, catering orders, drafting of itineraries, travel arrangements, event advertisement through internal and external channels, collection of RSVPs, and appropriate close-out tasks as needed. Key events include Leadership Council meetings, Alumni Council meetings, stakeholder visits, and institutional events that requires Strategic Partnerships' involvement.
- Research key news, events, and research emanating from CPL, HKS and Harvard as well as background for donor, alumni, and other engagement activity briefings.
- Attend CPL and HKS events as requested by Associate Director to take notes and report back on key research, ideas, themes and other outcomes to help Associate Director and Engagement Manager identify potential stakeholder engagement linkages to make for the benefit of CPL and HKS.
- Perform special projects and other duties, as needed.
This is a benefits-eligible term appointment for one year from date of hire, with possibility of renewal. Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background checks.Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply