Major Gifts Officer - Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of New York
- Job posted by Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of New York
Details: Commensurate with experience
1011 1st Avenue
Position: Every year Catholic Charities helps 400,000 New Yorkers providing $790 Million of services touching almost every human need. Embarking on its first ever five-year $100 Million Centennial Campaign, Catholic Charities is building and growing. At present, development is accountable for about $14 million annually. In this high visibility role as the Major Gifts Officer, you will work across the leadership team (Development Director, Senior and Program Staff) as you develop strategies that will grow fundraising initiatives, solicit new donations, and cultivate existing relationships.
About Catholic Charities: The Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of New York provides a range of programs and services to assist the poor and vulnerable, non-Catholics and Catholics alike in New York City and communities in the Hudson Valley in numerous ways:
· Protecting & Nurturing Children & Youth
· Feeding the Hungry and Sheltering the Homeless
· Strengthening Families and Resolving Crises
· Supporting the Physically and Emotionally Challenged
· Welcoming & Integrating Immigrants & Refugees
Summary: The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of potential major donors capable of making gifts in the $10,000 and up range. The position requires significant strategic thinking and donor management to develop a specific plan through which a potential donor can be moved from financial prospect to major gift. Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills are required including written, verbal, and personal contact with donors and their advisors. The Major Gifts Officer will grow the donor database by identifying and developing major new donors. In addition, the Major Gifts Officer will develop a consistent, long term, close relationship with donors - properly thanking each donor for his/her gifts and informing the donor of the Agency’s activities and uses of the donor’s gifts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties could be assigned.
1. Manage a portfolio of 120-150 donors, drawn from a mix of, long-time donors and new prospects who have been researched and pre-qualified by the development department.
2. Engage in face-to-face solicitation of major gifts, and partner with senior and program staff and/or the Agency Relations department on donor engagement opportunities.
3. Create individual goals for each person in the portfolio based on the donor’s history of giving and the Agency’s knowledge of that donor’s potential.
4. Create a plan for each donor/prospect in the portfolio and execute that plan so that individual donors are retained and upgraded.
5. Provide support to senior staff in preparation for solicitations, including developing appropriate briefing materials in advance of meetings.
6. Develop and execute cultivation and stewardship opportunities for donors and prospects in the portfolio, and participate in donor-focused events.
7. Oversee all aspects of the planning and execution of the membership program including oversight of two annual events.
8. Track portfolio activity and progress in the donor database. Create reports as required by management that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance.
9. Provide stewardship for gifts from all donors within your portfolio.
10. Attend required meetings and events.
11. Maintain a thorough understanding of the mission, goals, and priorities of the Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of NY.
Education and/or experience required:
· Bachelor’s degree and at least four years’ fundraising experience including proven success in developing major new donors.
· Proven ability to create a climate of confidence and trust on the part of donors.
· Proficiency in computer skills including use of Microsoft Office, Raisers Edge.
· Ability to track the progress of each major account using Raisers Edge and other database programs.
· Established track record of identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and maintaining major gifts from individuals.
· Self-Starter. High energy personality with the ability to identify and develop new donors.
· Able to build strong professional relationships with donors and their advisors.
· Proven ability to work well with teams in complex situations and to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
· Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office.
· Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge a plus.
· Superior communication skills.
· Well-honed interpersonal skills; ability to interact comfortably with individuals at all levels.
· High energy, enthusiasm, and a strong work ethic.
· A team-oriented, collaborative style.
· Excellent organizational, time-management, and follow-up skills.
· Able to participate in agency/community events, as necessary.
· A genuine interest in the Catholic Charities mission.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please forward Cover Letter and Resume to: