Director of Development
- Job posted by Animal Care Centers of NYC
11 Park Place
Animal Care Centers of NYC--the City’s only not-for-profit, open admissions animal sheltering organization--seeks to end animal homelessness in NYC. Every day, we help New Yorkers adopt new pets and reclaim lost animals, while providing the resources to help families in need keep their pets safely at home. With an annual intake of nearly 30,000 dogs and cats, we cannot adopt our way out of the homeless animal problem. The way to effect real change is to address root causes of animal surrender and homelessness before animals become a shelter statistic. We are saving more lives and implementing new programs to better the lives of animals in our shelters and in our community. In the last five years, ACC has become a national leader in animal sheltering and welfare.
ACC is a 501(c)(3) organization with an annual budget of $16.5 million in FY2018, of which $3.5 million came from grants, foundations and private sources. The remainder is contract-funded through the City of NY and the NYC Department of Health. The Development Director must be well versed in the merits of a public/private funding partnership and will leverage that partnership to help raise additional funds for services and programs that complement and enhance the services that are funded by the city. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned development professional with a keen understanding of the animal-human bond and a passion to deliver real results to end animal homelessness in NYC.
ACC is a progressive animal welfare organization embarking upon a period of significant expansion and development with the addition of two new state of the art animal shelters and substantial capital improvements to the existing three shelters. You will be joining at a pivotal moment in our 23 year history. We seek a Director of Development to expand our fundraising efforts and results by capitalizing on our reputational growth in animal welfare locally and nationally. You will build the impact of our programs by increasing contributed revenue; securing and managing funding partnerships with individuals, community organizations, and corporations; and further developing and advancing our brand.
You will be part of the leadership team implementing a new strategic plan to achieve our mission to end animal homelessness in NYC and to ensure ACC’s continued success with the expansion of our services and facilities to all five boroughs of NYC. Central to our success, the Development Director will focus on:
▪ Impact: Ensuring sufficient funding so that our program results are measurable and sustainable.
▪ Institutional Growth: Driving development income by capitalizing on the substantial investment by the City of NY into new animal shelters exclusively for ACC and identifying private funding opportunities to complement our institutional growth.
▪ Strategic Growth: Diversifying and increasing funding from corporations; major individual gifts; foundations; the ACC Board; and planned giving to ensure continued program growth by supporters who recognize ACC’s unique role serving NYC’s pets, people and the communities they live in.
The Director of Development reports to the Chief Executive Officer and works closely with the Executive Leadership team, the program and finance teams and select members of the Board. You will lead a team that currently comprises
the Senior Manager, Development and the Development Associate. You will also supervise a small network of pro bono volunteers, third party event planners and work collaboratively with various committees of the Board, including the Development Committee and the Marketing Committee.
▪ Lead the fundraising strategy for ACC to generate revenue across multiple streams: public, foundation, individual giving, major gifts, planned giving, and corporate.
▪ Work closely with the CEO and the Executive Leadership Team to identify programmatic needs and shape long-term strategy to secure resources that support the organization’s growth and impact.
▪ Craft and articulate proposals and presentations with compelling messages and cases for support/funding opportunities that highlight the organization’s strengths and aspirations.
▪ Support the CEO and the Board of Directors to build and expand networks that generate funding and awareness for ACC.
▪ Identify major donor prospects and in collaboration with the CEO and the Board define and implement cultivation/solicitation strategies and tactics.
▪Develop an active portfolio of major donor prospects: from identification to cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
▪ Oversee all primary fundraising events during the year, such as the annual gala, spring fling cocktail party, crowdfunding campaigns, and donor-hosted events and activities and identify opportunities for growth of event strategy.
▪ Serve as the lead relationship manager for a wide range of donors and establish strategies in partnership with the Communications team to build long-term support for ACC.
▪ Manage the fundraising budget and oversee all systems to ensure goals are met and donor relationships are strengthened over time. Work in partnership with colleagues in all disciplines throughout the organization and multiple sites.
The best candidate possesses the ability to excel in a fast-paced, often high stress environment and is flexible to meet changing needs. They are visionary and love to think about what we can do today to set us up for success tomorrow. The right candidate has 8+ years of experience, with at least 5 in a leadership capacity. Dedication and passion for animal welfare, of course, with a clear commitment to our mission of ending animal homelessness in NYC.
▪ Bachelor’s degree required, and at least 7 years of experience directing a comprehensive fundraising operation including prospect research, donor data management, acknowledgment and stewardship; planned giving and bequests, and event planning. Capital campaign experience a plus.
▪ Track record of generating major gifts for not-for-profits across multiple revenue streams.
▪ Confident, resourceful and comfortable front-line major gift solicitor.
▪ Successful history of managing high-priority relationships and guiding partnerships to achieve ambitious goals.
▪ Strategic and creative as well as hands-on and bottom-line driven.
▪ Tech savvy (including excel, Raiser’s Edge, mobile bidding systems) and able to maintain organized, accurate spreadsheets to track trends and sources of revenue.
▪ Superior communication skills as a writer, editor, and presenter.
▪ Accomplished team leader with a passion for guiding individuals to thrive and grow in high urgency, fast-paced environments.
▪ You are at your very best when you interact with people of all kinds, all day long and you are a stickler for detail.
ACC offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply by uploading a cover letter and resume to https://executive-excellence-1.workable.com/j/E8C2298191