Executive Assistant I
- Job posted by University of San Diego
Executive Assistant I
University of San Diego
Job Number: 113
Position Status: Part-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: College of Arts and Sciences, Staff
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
Serve as Executive Assistant to the Chair of the Department of Art, Architecture + Art History, and fulfill the administrative needs of the Department of Art, Architecture + Art History. Prepare and process One Card expense reports, check and petty cash requests, guest honorariums, student reimbursements, and deposits. Monitor monthly/annual expenses, track expenditures, verify accuracy of invoice billing, reconcile accounts payable and accounts receivable for departmental discretionary budgets, and department restricted budgets. Assist in conducting fiscal closing. Perform a variety of complex projects with critical deadlines. Act with the authority of the Chair to solve problems regarding procurement services, human resources, ITS, facility management, and telecommunications. Screen student questions or problems regarding classes, grades, incompletes, petition for graduation or transfer of credit and either provide information about college procedures or refer student to the Chair, Programming Manager, Facilities Manager, or other University office. Act as liaison between Department Chair and student body, faculty/staff and the general public. Coordinate meetings between Chair, department and other USD faculty/staff. Coordinate department assessment tools and instruments of evaluation.
Provide administrative and secretarial support to 13 full‑time and 18 part‑time (varies per semester) faculty members, which includes: general word processing, proofreading and editing various reports, letters, memoranda, maintaining calendars, making appointments, obtaining and distributing mail, keeping files, copying class material, maintaining office supplies. Preparing and processing documents, deposits, expense reports, check requests, equipment and maintenance services requests, media and library orders, scheduling rooms for special events. Act as a liaison between faculty, administration, students, and parents. Provide general office assistance, greet visitors, answer phone calls, provide information about courses, departmental exhibitions and public lectures. Executive Assistant must be self motivated, able to recognize, prioritize and attend to duties with minimal supervision; requesting support as needed and keeping Programming Manager and Department Chair informed and updated.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Telephones: Answering incoming calls, answering queries regarding any of the different department areas, referring calls appropriately as needed, taking telephone messages, researching information, returning calls.
• Students: Answer student questions when able and correctly refer to appropriate faculty as needed.
• Public: Answer queries from public, including potential students and their parents, make necessary referrals, send out department information as requested.
• Event Queries: Answer questions regarding various exhibits and concerts sponsored by the department. Make appropriate referrals regarding queries for events not sponsored by the Department of Art, Architecture + Art History.
• Open various classrooms, art studios, for students, public, maintenance, as requested.
• Make copies as requested.
• Create correspondence, memos, syllabi documents, forms, etc., as requested by Chair.
• Schedule meetings as requested; coordinate individual's schedules to find mutual meeting time between participants.
• Supplies: Assure office is always adequately stocked with basic office and other supplies for faculty and staff. Order supplies as needed from various vendors, comparing prices. Assure receipt of supplies and accuracy of billing. Research availability of specialty items as requested.
• Aid in faculty searches as requested, creating files, filing information, preparing correspondence, organizing travel/accommodation for candidates, and assuring return of portfolios / slides and other materials.
• Upload and maintain content for department web pages as needed or directed.
• Coordinate large scale bulk mailings: order address labels as requested, apply address labels, sealing labels, sort and prepare per USD Mail Center bulk mail rules.
• Arrange catering as requested for department meetings, receptions and events.
• Send, receive and distribute incoming mail. Sign for packages. Prepare and send packages. Obtain special mailing permission (overnight, etc.) from Deans office as needed.
• Contact Facilities Management, ITS, and Telecommunications for department as required.
• Reserve various rooms as requested.
• Process all One Card expense reports, check and petty cash requests, guest honorariums, student reimbursements, and deposits.
• Reconcile monthly accounting budget against department budget; Research any discrepancies, resolve any problems.
• Research information regarding the budget as requested by various department staff, procurement services, vendors, etc.
• Keep accurate financial records: file all backup paperwork per account, per budget line.
• Minimum two-year college degree; BA preferred
• Three to five years of progressively responsible administrative/executive support experience, including budgeting and accounting experience preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, with a very high degree of accuracy in spelling, punctuation, usage, style and proofreading.
• Familiarity and interest in visual arts or art history is preferred.
• Ability to type quickly and accurately.
• Ability to prioritize tasks, set and meet deadlines, problem solve and make basic decisions.
• Ability to handle several phone lines; ability to effectively triage incoming telephone inquiries, fulfilling callers needs as much as possible and forwarding call as necessary.
• Familiarity in the use of Macintosh computers, preferred.
• Proficiency with the following USD used computer programs:
• Microsoft Word
• e-mail programs
• Ability to use the following computer programs preferred:
• Adobe Photoshop
• Adobe InDesign
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Salary: $18.16 - $20.43 per hour
Hours: 19 hours per week; preferably 10am - 2pm, Monday - Thursday.
Closing date: August 7, 2018
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: July 25, 2018 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open Until Filled Pacific Daylight Time
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Special Application Instructions:
Click http://apptrkr.com/1265268 to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com