- Job posted by College Possible
College Possible is a growing nonprofit that coaches students from low-income backgrounds to and through college to break the cycle of poverty and empower the next generation of leaders. Our model earns top-of-field results: a 2011 Harvard RCT, considered the gold standard of evaluations, found that the program more than doubles a student's chance of enrolling in a four-year college, and our students are four times more likely to become college graduates than their low-income peers. As a result of their past success and plans to scale, College Possible was recently named the recipient of the new Evergreen National Education Prize; you can learn more here.
College Possible has a budget of over $22 million, more than 130 full-time employees and more than 270 AmeriCorps and VISTA service members. During the 2018-19 school year, we will reach nearly 25,000 students in all 50 states, at more than 90 partner high schools and at more than 350 colleges. Through our new Catalyze program, we are joining forces with colleges to achieve a transformational impact: by 2021, we will partner with 400 colleges to reach 50,000 students.
College Possible is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion, and seeks a diverse workforce to create impact in partnership with the communities we serve. We welcome a diverse pool of qualified applicants and do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law. For each of our positions, College Possible is mindful about what best serves our students, and seeks to hire staff with relevant experience, skills and aptitude, and a commitment to the power of education.
College Possible serves students in Philadelphia, PA; Chicago, IL; Milwaukee, WI; Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN; Omaha, NE; and Portland, OR; and has Catalyze partnerships in Minnesota, Iowa and Ohio. The organization is headquartered in Saint Paul, Minnesota. For more information on College Possible, please visit our website.
College Possible is currently hiring a President passionate about educational equity and access to work hand in hand with the CEO/Founder and the Board to ensure that College Possible is positioned for continued growth, with the requisite infrastructure, human and financial resources. The President will be an exceptional leader and executive manager who will lead and inspire a high-performing team, supportive and ambitious culture, effective implementation of the strategic plan and strong fundraising infrastructure. Based in St. Paul, reporting directly to the national Board, and partnering closely with the Founder and CEO, the inaugural President of College Possible will join the organization at an exciting time of growth. The President must be a dynamic, forward-thinking strategist, leader and people manager with strong general management skills and experience and/or interest in supporting the fundraising function of a multi-million dollar nonprofit. The President will, at times, stand in for the CEO externally, helping to build College Possible's brand and visibility through powerful presentations and relationship-building.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Provide inspirational leadership for and day-to-day management of the Executive Team, ensuring that leaders are growing in their roles and increasing their effectiveness at the organization; drive efforts to build a sustainable and high-performance culture of growth, collaboration, transparency, and communication, including modeling strong staff management and engagement for senior leaders to emulate with their teams;
- Ensure the effective implementation of the strategic plan and lead ongoing strategic planning processes, ensuring alignment of strategy and vision across the national office and regional sites;
- Partner with the senior management team and Board to translate strategies and priorities into results-oriented action plans; drive effective implementation of these plans across the organization;
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization;
- Serve as the lead human capital management strategist, ensuring the recruitment and retention of exceptional talent and the ongoing development of an inclusive culture that values continuous learning and high performance in support of College Possible's vision and mission;
- Support and help drive College Possible's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, bringing an open and authentic approach to this complicated work;
- Secure and support the development and management of relationships with partner and other support organizations that seek to promote college access and success for the population that College Possible serves;
- In partnership with the CEO, steward and develop the Board of Directors, ensuring that they are appropriately engaged, recognized and informed; help College Possible continuously build a Board that is diverse, inclusive and willing to leverage networks and secure resources;
- Work closely with the CEO and development team to ensure the development and cultivation of strong relationships with existing and new funders; represent College Possible with funders, partners and other supporters, and serve as spokesperson for the organization as needed.
As the incoming President, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You are an experienced organizational leader, having led and managed an organization through growth; a combination of non-profit and for-profit experience would be ideal. Experience working closely with a Founder is preferred.
- You believe deeply in the potential of all children to succeed and bring a commitment to working collaboratively to close the degree divide. Ideally, you have experience in the college access space and will use your knowledge of the players and the landscape to inform College Possible's strategy and vision.
- You bring experience leading in a multi-site organization and have built systems and processes to maximize the effectiveness of a national office working in support of regional sites, including talent management, financial, evaluation, communications, and technology systems.
- You have demonstrated a strategic orientation to human capital management as a key driver in organizational performance and growth; you build relationships well, earn trust and respect, model a supportive, collaborative, results-oriented approach to management and people development, and “walk the walk” in your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- You have played a key role in the development and implementation of organizational strategy and are excited about working with the Board, CEO and team to evaluate and evolve College Possible's strategy; experience building a new business line is preferred.
- You are a natural, confident and persuasive communicator who leads with active listening and is able to adapt your message based on your audience.
- Your communication skills and strategic orientation support your ability to build strong relationships with funders to ensure their commitment to College Possible's impact.
- You bring authenticity, integrity, sound judgment, and maturity to your work and recognize the importance of modeling these characteristics, particularly in challenging situation.
- You are able to work effectively across functions and teams, internally and externally, balancing competing priorities and perspectives to reflect the best interests of College Possible.
- Bachelor's degree is required, a master's degree in business or a relevant field is preferred.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
College Possible offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. You can learn more about our benefits here.
College Possible has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to Jim McCorkell, CEO, here.
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.
Minimum Education Required