Applications Administrator Location:
Scotts Valley Job ID:
23396 NotificationsUC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for all faculty, staff, academic appointees, and students accessing facilities at any UC campus this fall. Employees and students can submit proof of vaccination online or request an exemption. UCSC Statement
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the intimacy of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. Initial Review Date (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 09-23-2021 Dept Marketing Statement
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus innovation nexus that supports and amplifies the value of research, teaching, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results that foster a campus climate where employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, ambitious, kind, and deeply committed to inclusive excellence.
We aspire to operate in an Agile and Lean fashion. Our goal is to continually improve our service quality, experience, and value to our constituents. We care deeply about creating a diverse, high performing organization through recruiting while developing highly talented, well-rounded, staff. We invest in career paths and career development, devoting a significant amount of resources to skill and professional development for our staff.
ITS promotes two areas for skill growth:
1. Developing generalizing specialists by focusing on technical depth and breadth
2. Growing service and product expertise
More information can be found at: https://its.ucsc.eduJob Overview
The Applications Administrator is responsible for supporting AWS + Oracle based Banner implementations. This position works closely with Information Technology Services (ITS) staff, functional teams and vendors to provide technical support for the administration and development of these applications. These colleagues may be remote, therefore, this position requires effective communication in a remote environment/culture. Additionally, this position will independently perform a full range of responsibilities including analyzing diverse problems and determining solutions, understanding and applying industry practices. May serve as technical lead for a project of moderate scope.
This position provides a variety of IT services including: technical analysis, configuration, implementation and maintenance of Ellucian Banner Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system hosted on AWS, application web server, and Oracle databases. Assignments may include server architecture design, database clones, backups and restores, reviewing and applying vendor patches, investigating new vendor software or product issues, maintaining a change management process, production support and technical documentation. Additionally this position must maintain effective communication and project planning across technical and functional teams, including remote colleagues, that support the Banner ERP system and other business systems.
This role requires an experienced Banner professional with in-depth understanding of Ellucian Banner administration, including performing installations, upgrades and troubleshooting technical issues. Knowledge of Ellucian Banner 9 architecture with the ability to support and deploy Application Navigator and Admin pages is required. Experience administering and supporting Apache Tomcat, including installation, configuration and deployment is preferred. Additional skills preferred for this position are a background that includes the understanding and usage of AWS development tools for the development of AWS Cloud based infrastructure. A background in DevOps is highly desired. Pay, Benefits, & Work ScheduleSalary Information
: Salary Range: $73,700 - $95,000/annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.No. of Positions
: 1Benefits Level Eligibility
: This position is eligible for Full benefitsSchedule Information
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Day, Evenings, WeekendEmployee Classification
: This is a Career appointmentJob End Date
: NoneWork Location
: Scotts ValleyUnion Representation
: NoneJob Code Classification
: 007309 (INFO SYS ANL 3) Job Duties
- Analyzes, installs, modifies and supports third-party supplied modules, middleware, developer tools, and third party infrastructure and utilities software. Assists in troubleshooting problems between assigned applications and other software systems by working with the greater ITS technical team.
- Participates in designing and implementing conversion/upgrade and system implementation plans.
- Applies advanced IT concepts to perform complex technical functions in multiple IT areas of specialization, working with systems administrators, Database Administrators, network administrators and application programmers. Interacts with teams of advanced IT professionals as a proactive member.
- Provides operational support for assigned applications, module extensions, tools and services. Maintains and supports web servers, development environment, system backups and resources. Provides application consulting for database performance and design.
- Performs advanced configuration, coding and tests/debugs complex programs.
- Analyzes complex business problems to be solved with automated systems.
- Recommends changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
- Understands Industry practices and department policies and procedures relating to work assignments.
- Utilizes ITS standard practices, including Project Management,Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC),and Change Management methodologies.
- Utilizes software version control, release and configuration management practices to ensure security of systems.
- May serve as technical lead for a project of moderate scope. Trains users. Negotiates project plans with stakeholders.
- Maintains security configurations. Participates in periodic vulnerability assessments and audits, including identification of strategies to mitigate threat exposure and breach response.
ITS Security Statement
Information Technology positions are responsible for the security of UC Institutional Information and IT Resources. The incumbent is required to follow all applicable information security policies, procedures, and standards to maintain minimum standards of information security for data, systems and applications. Supervisors are responsible for making sure their staff have appropriate security skills and qualifications, and complete all appropriate and required security training. Required Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Knowledge of application development technologies, development tools and/or protocols including, but not limited to:
- Ellucian Banner ERP systems experience (Banner 9)
- Database: Oracle, Amazon RDS
- Languages: Advanced PL/SQL, SQLPlus, shell scripting
- Tools: SQL development tools, Git
- Webservers: Apache Tomcat
- OSes: Linux Windows
- Git, version control
- DevOps concepts
- Amazon Web Services (AWS): Cloudformation, VPC, EC2, OpsWorks, Chef, S3 Storage, IAM, Route53
- Oracle Fusion Middleware
- Experience supporting vendor delivered software, upgrades, patching, troubleshooting and configuration management, with emphasis on Ellucian Banner, AWS and Oracle.
- Demonstrated experience with database administration. Working knowledge of database management systems and standards. Knowledge relating to database system design.
- Strong operational experience in supporting day-to-day production/development issues.
- Strong database performance and SQL tuning skills.
- Strong scripting in SQL/PLSQL, and shell scripts.
- Ability to communicate effectively across the organization at multiple levels both verbally and written.
- Solid ability to gather, organize and analyze data in completion of assignments.
- Experience supporting mission-critical 24x7 production environments.
- Advanced skills associated with programming design, modification and implementation. Basic knowledge of secure software development. Demonstrated ability to create software specifications.
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to tackle hard/complex problems and identify root cause(s).
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to understand business needs and how business systems can support those needs.
- Lean / Six Sigma.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Incumbent may be required to work nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to complete various compliance and job-related training as directed.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries. How to Apply
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our <font face='Arial, sans-serif'>https://www.google.com/url?q=https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html&source=gmail&ust=1630701206329000&usg=AFQjCNHw-42ZsFCl6Xk4oI23n_i7AKCxGA
' href='https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=2478817&targetURL=https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html' target='_blank'>How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process. EEO/AA
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees. APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application: https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=11&JobOpeningId=23396&PostingSeq=1
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu
. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.