Executive Director, Indiana
- Job posted by Teach Plus
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. Since 2009, Teach Plus has developed thousands of Teacher Leaders to advance educational equity and change by informing education policy at the state, school, and district level and by building Teacher Leadership in schools and classrooms to improve instruction for students. Teach Plus currently operates in 11 regions across the country.
Teacher-led and responsive to the urgent issues facing teachers, their students, and the teaching profession, Teach Plus believes that every student in America should have an opportunity to learn and achieve at their maximum potential in an education system that is defined by equity for all learners, responsiveness to individual student needs, and the ability to prepare students for success in an innovation economy. Student access to excellent, empowered, and diverse Teacher Leaders in our schools and educational system is a critical lever to attaining these goals.
The organization’s work has led to: improvements in federal and state policies and local teachers’ contracts; new programming to increase high-needs students’ access to strong teachers; nationally significant teacher-driven research and reports; and greater media attention to the voice of change-oriented teachers.
Teach Plus Indiana’s recent impact has been extraordinary. In 2017, Indiana Teaching Policy Fellows worked alongside the Indiana Department of Education to facilitate community meetings on the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) across the state. Their recommendations were a significant part of Indiana’s newly-enacted laws on assessment and career pathways for teachers, and of Indiana’s ESSA plan.
You can read more about the Indiana region and its work at https://teachplus.org/IN.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Teach Plus seeks an Executive Director to lead its Indiana region with a passion for teacher leadership and for expanding educational opportunity and outcomes for Indiana students. The Executive Director will set the overall vision and strategy for the Indiana region and manage a team towards that vision. Reporting to the Illinois Executive Director, s/he will have overall management responsibility for Teach Plus’ signature Policy Fellowship and teacher-led instructional practice programs in the region.
The ideal candidate will bring experience and expertise in educational policy, a commitment to teacher-led professional development and distributed leadership in schools, and the ability to build public, private, and philanthropic relationships to accelerate impact.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Spur policy-focused change to benefit students in Indiana
The Executive Director will serve as the face of Teach Plus Indiana and build relationships that enable teachers to have an impact on critical policy issues, by:
- Establishing strong relationships and effective partnerships among Teach Plus, state education leaders, local districts, and other local educational organizations;
- Building a strong network of strategic partners to ensure that Teach Plus maximizes its impact in Indiana; and
- Writing op-eds, connecting teachers to media contacts, and actively pursuing opportunities for Teach Plus teachers to showcase their work and ideas.
Activate a growing network of Indiana Teacher Leaders
The Executive Director will develop the skills of a cohort of Teacher Leaders to engage in policy and advocacy discussions at the state level and create a broad community of change-oriented teachers to influence district policies, through:
- Leading the Indiana Policy Fellowship to support and grow the leadership skills and competencies of the 2018-19 Fellows to achieve change in state policy by testifying before state legislatures, meeting with lawmakers, publishing reports, policy briefs, and op-eds— and by mobilizing teachers in their school, district, and state to bring change to scale; and
- Building a network of change-oriented teachers by organizing a series of events to inform and engage a critical mass of teacher voice to influence policy, which includes ensuring the advocacy work and voice of the Indiana Fellows, alumni, and instructional practice Teacher Leaders is impactful, influential, and credible.
Expand the Teacher-Led Professional Learning Network
The Executive Director will build out a network in which teachers with dedicated expertise and a track record of effectiveness lead their peers in improving teaching and learning, addressing systemic barriers to student achievement, and effectively managing change, in partnership with their principals.
Ensure the Long-Term Viability and Sustainability of the Indiana Programs
The Executive Director will manage the team and the budget. S/he will grow funding relationships in Indiana by:
- Maintaining and managing relationships with statewide and local funding sources; and
- Strategically diversifying the funding base, increasing the number of local and individual philanthropic leaders who know and support Teach Plus’ work.
Participate in organization-wide learning and growth
The Executive Director will collaborate with national and regional leaders at Teach Plus to:
- Maximize learning across sites;
- Ensure quality and high standards; and
- Create momentum for a national voice of change-oriented teachers.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Strategic leadership and vision setting skills, with deep knowledge of educational issues related to improving educational equity and outcomes for students and strengthening the teaching profession;
- A track record of successful people management, with the ability to lead, inspire, and motivate individuals and teams to achieve ambitious outcomes, coaching staff while also holding team members accountable for meeting goals;
- Ability to foster and leverage relationships across a wide range of external stakeholders, including state and district policy makers; philanthropic, public, and private partners; and teachers;
- Passion for growing and supporting teacher leadership and elevating teacher voice across the educational system and in the Indiana Statehouse;
- Experience managing and delivering innovative programs with a focus on equity for students and quality of results; and
- Passionate commitment to improving public education by retaining and supporting outstanding teachers to support the success of all students, in particular for low-income learners and students of color.
- Familiarity with state-level policy-making in Indiana, including education policy issues, policy makers, and influential leaders;
- Experience fundraising and demonstrated effectiveness in building and cultivating relationships with partners / stakeholders;
- Experience managing organizational budgets with multiple funding sources;
- Experience facilitating and leading high-quality professional learning for adults, including the ability to provide mentoring to Teaching Policy Fellows, alumni, and Teacher Leaders in the Teach Plus network;
- Prior K-12 teaching experience or a significant comparable experience; and
- Understanding of national discussion about how to best develop and retain effective Teacher Leaders.
LOCATION: Indianapolis, Indiana
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Minimum Education Required