- Job posted by Consumer Reports
Details: Yearly Salary
1101 17TH Street NW Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036
Consumer Reports seeks an enthusiastic Communications professional to work on our transportation and energy advocacy work. Bring your excellent writing skills and passion to CR as we fight to make the market safer for all consumers.
The position will involve all aspects of communications strategy, message development, and targeted outreach and amplification on a variety of policy topics including fuel economy, electric vehicles, self-driving vehicles, renewable energy, electric utilities, and fair consumer utility rates.
This grant funded role is expected to last two years with the possibility of renewal and offers a highly competitive salary, excellent health and retirement benefits, paid time off, and the chance to make the market safer and fairer for all consumers.
Please include a cover letter with your resume for immediate consideration.
- Works in tandem with federal and state-based coalitions to develop and execute a communications strategy to help increase the presence of consumer issues and voices in policy debates related to transportation and energy;
- Spearheads rapid response at the state and national levels on a regular basis
- Develops infographics, fact sheets, and other materials
- Develops strategies, messages, and framing of policy issues for reaching decision makers, the media, and the public
- Promotes key findings of CU and CR research and analysis to state and national audiences
- Drafts, incorporates feedback, and pitchs/distributes op-eds, press releases, social media and other content for local and national audiences
- Creates and posts blogs and other content using web publishing tools
- Helps identify local and state opportunities for media and consumer engagement
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in Communications or related field plus at least 3 years' experience in public relations, corporate communications, journalism or similar. Excellent verbal and written communications skills targeting press, decision makers, and the public. Experience with traditional media outreach and social media outreach with an advocacy organization or campaign preferred.
- Experience in automotive, utility, energy, or environmental field and familiarity with public policy and regulatory framework
- Existing relationships with reporters, bloggers, or thought leaders in the transportation and energy space.
- Experience reaching out to diverse audiences from a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and interests.
- Basic knowledge/experience with the WordPress web publishing tool to help publish content online.
- Familiarity with media databases such as Cision and VOCUS PR to develop media lists and issue press releases and related content.
- Experience with design tools such as inDesign, Piktochart, Canva or similar tool to develop fact sheets, infographics, shareable graphics for social media
Minimum Education Required