Overdeck Family Foundation was founded in 2011 by John and Laura Overdeck with the goal of providing all children the opportunity to unlock their potential. We focus exclusively on enhancing education, funding efforts both inside and outside of school in the areas of early childhood, informal STEM education, and K-9 programs that include supporting educators and student-centered learning environments.
Our grantmaking and strategic support focus on unlocking innovation, evidence, and growth opportunities for organizations and researchers that are committed to accelerating key academic and socioemotional outcomes for all children. We fund both direct impact organizations and ecosystem efforts that clear the path to scale for our grantees and the work that they do.
Overdeck Family Foundation is seeking a strong writer, content creator, and media relations professional to join our growing team as a Communications Manager. Reporting to the Communications Director, this candidate would be a key member of the Foundation’s communications team and responsible for strengthening and expanding the Foundation’s efforts to advance its mission and lift up the work of its grantees. The ideal candidate is passionate about opening doors for every child in the U.S. by measurably enhancing education both inside and outside the classroom.
The primary focus of this role will be on external media relations and written and spoken content creation, making the ideal candidate someone who’s developed and maintained strong relationships with national and local education reporters and has a portfolio of earned and owned content that demonstrates skill and comfort in creating storytelling opportunities that engage, inform, and inspire.
In your previous roles, you’ve demonstrated an ability to balance several projects at once and work with multiple internal and external stakeholders at different levels of seniority. Your skill at taking complicated information, transforming it into exciting messages, and disseminating it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels has been key to your success. You’re both a quick study and detail-oriented, with the flexibility and agility to manage multiple priorities and turn deliverables around quickly.
Co-workers would describe you as a creative and energetic self-starter with strong written, digital, and verbal communications skills. You’re a team player, but also able to operate independently—and confident enough to ask for help when you need it.
Visit www.overdeck.org for more information.
What You’ll Help Us Do:
○ Support the Communications Director to set and evolve overall communications strategy for the Foundation
○ Lead implementation of the Foundation’s communications strategy and surface learnings to inform future strategy
○ Support Communications Director to create and execute signature initiatives that are developed and implemented in response to the interests of the Foundation’s Board
● Content Creation
○ In partnership with Communications Director, create editorial calendar to align with portfolio strategies and planned grantmaking
○ Manage the Foundation’s editorial calendar, including curating, editing, and producing content for the newsletter, blog, social media, resources, and website
○ Work with program team members to support their contributions to communications outputs in service of their programmatic goals
○ Maintain a consistent look and feel for all communications by supporting Foundation’s style and voice guidelines
○ Support the Communications Director in developing and distributing the Foundation’s Annual Report
● Media Relations and External Affairs
○ In partnership with the Communications Director, develop the foundation’s conference and event strategy and calendar
○ Support the Program team with external communications opportunities, including but not limited to talking points and submissions for conferences, webinars, op-eds, etc. ○ Manage all media platforms (including LinkedIn and owned digital platforms), ensuring that content is updated, relevant, and timely
○ Support Foundation leadership (and grantees as needed) with pitching stories and op-eds to national and local education reporters
○ Track and measure key metrics related to reach of key digital channels - LinkedIn, website, newsletter, and blog
Who You Are
An operator. You are able to make plans to effectively map and execute complex projects with multiple stakeholders. You are able to autonomously manage yourself and the actions of others who do not report into you with very little oversight. You are able to simultaneously ground yourself in an overall strategy while gracefully recalibrating day to day to opportunities and challenges.
Highly relational. You are able to work well with Foundation staff members and grantees at all levels because you are kind, thoughtful, and curious. You enjoy interacting with others and would quickly grow to be a strong representative of the Foundation to external audiences. You approach communications work in a way that is fully centered on a collaborative mindset in order to choose and execute on the actions that matter most. You bring relationships with media contacts relevant to our work.
A strong communications professional. You have a depth of understanding of multi-channel communications work that has been built through experience. You produce strong and concise writing and are able to write in the voice of others with ease. You are able to communicate complex topics in accessible ways. You are adept at navigating media relationships and enjoy bringing stories to journalists that educate and excite.
A smart, eager learner. You take a nuanced and rigorous approach to your work, both able to act on well-informed hypotheses and willing to change your mind. You use your critical thinking and quantitative analysis skills to see patterns, guide smart decision-making, and evaluate opportunities.
A values-driven and empathetic human. You operate with a high level of self-awareness, humility, and emotional intelligence and you value the same in your colleagues. You engage in conflict confidently and with kindness. You are excited about working in an environment where complex problems are being considered. You are able to articulate and navigate tensions with an orientation towards understanding and valuing multiple perspectives. You don’t shy away from holding two opposing ideas at once and you are comfortable with not knowing or not agreeing and committing.
What You’ve Done
● Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public affairs, communications, public policy, education, or related field OR relevant experience
● Minimum of 5 years of communications experience, either in-house or in an agency, 7+ years preferred
● Strong relationships with national and local education reporters; experience and media connections in New Jersey preferred
● Proven written and editing skills, with portfolio of content that demonstrates the ability to take complex concepts and communicate them clearly and concisely to internal and external audiences
● Experience using communication technology platforms (e.g. Google Analytics, Wordpress, MailChimp, and LinkedIn)
● Experience with Acrobat and Photoshop is a plus but not required
Benefits of Working at Overdeck Family Foundation
All Overdeck Family Foundation employees are employees of Two Sigma. The foundation offers competitive core benefits, including fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401(k) match, generous vacation time, unlimited sick days, and employer-paid life and disability insurance. Overdeck Family Foundation requires all employees to live within a commutable distance from the office in the SoHo neighborhood of New York City. Each week, employees must work in the office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays for collaboration days and have the option to work remotely on Mondays and Fridays. Perks of being in the office include on-site gyms with laundry service, wellness classes, snacks, and a casual dress code in our beautiful office in SoHo.
Overdeck Family Foundation was founded in 2011 by John and Laura Overdeck with the goal of providing all children the opportunity to unlock their potential. We focus exclusively on enhancing education, funding efforts both inside and…
How to Apply
Overdeck Family Foundation has partnered with RCG Talent Solutions on our search for the Communications Manager. Please follow this link to submit your application and direct all questions to Aramis Grant (firstname.lastname@example.org). RCG Talent Solutions will review all applicants and, upon qualification, contact you to determine next steps.
How to Apply
Overdeck Family Foundation has partnered with RCG Talent Solutions on our search for the Communications Manager. Please follow this link to submit your application…