Chief Development Officer
- Job posted by Urban Resource Institute
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Urban Resource Institute (URI) provides quality, compassionate, and innovative client-centered services to victims of domestic violence, homeless families, and people with intellectual and developmental disabilities so that they may lead the safest and fullest lives possible. For 38 years, URI has been providing life saving services and developing new programs to improve the lives of vulnerable New Yorkers, with a particular focus on survivors of domestic violence. It is the only organization in New York City and one of the few nationally that extends these services to pets.
This is an exciting time in URI’s history, as the organization completes its merger with the Center Against Domestic Violence, an organization that works toward a society free of violence and abuse. The combined organization under the Urban Resource Institute umbrella will have the capacity to shelter nearly 1,000 women, men, and children at any given time, making it the largest provider of domestic violence shelter services in New York State and the nation.
To learn more, please visit: http://urinyc.org
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Urban Resource Institute is seeking a dynamic and passionate leader to serve as its first Chief Development Officer (CDO). Reporting to the President and CEO, the Chief Development Officer will lead the strategic direction and overall management of the organization’s fundraising operations across individual, corporate, foundation, and public funding sources. The CDO will serve as a key member of the executive leadership team and manage a team of three.
This is an ideal opportunity for a seasoned professional with a track record in development to drive significant impact in support of URI’s mission. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and refine a comprehensive annual fundraising strategy in alignment with URI’s organizational vision and goals
- Act as lead fundraiser for URI, securing gifts and grants from individual donors, corporations, foundations, and government programs with the goal of raising $1.5M in the upcoming fiscal year
- Expand URI’s base of individual donors, cultivating and soliciting gifts from new and existing donors
- Identify and pursue new sources of corporate and foundation funding
- Conceptualize and oversee the development of grant proposals for government programs
- Oversee the planning and execution of ambitious capital campaigns and events, including the $20M facilities capital campaign, currently underway
- Ensure the efficient use of fundraising systems and processes, as well as accurate and timely reporting
- Cultivate and engage Board of Trustees members on an ongoing basis, with a strategic approach toward establishing a culture of philanthropy and deepening their relationships with URI
- Lead a team of 3 full-time employees, including the Major Gifts Officer (new role), Development Manager, and Relationship Manager
- Communicate overall development strategy and the team and individual goals to support successful execution of that strategy
- Mentor, manage, and motivate staff to achieve annual fundraising goals, holding team members to a high standard of excellence and accountability
- Serve on URI’s executive leadership team, collaborating with the CEO and other senior leaders on major organizational initiatives
- Act as liaison for the Board Development Committee, presenting key development updates and building strong relationships with board members
- Serve as a compelling external voice and ambassador for URI’s mission
- Serve as a culture builder and carrier for the organization
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Passion for Urban Resource Institute’s mission and core values
- Minimum of 15 years of professional experience, with at least 5 years of nonprofit development experience
- Track record of successfully prospecting, engaging, and cultivating individual donors, corporations, and/or foundations
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking skills
- Exceptional relationship building and influencing skills
- Sense of humor
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to engage and inspire a diverse range of audiences
- Experience leading and managing teams to achieve ambitious results
- A high degree of cultural competence and belief in the value of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree a plus
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Urban Resource Institute is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required