Director of Operations and Technology
- Job posted by First 5 Alameda County
ABOUT FIRST 5 ALAMEDA COUNTY
First 5 Alameda County (F5AC) helps young children grow up healthy and ready to learn during the most important time in their development. With two decades of experience funding innovative programs and advocating for policies that produce better futures for our children, F5AC envisions every child in Alameda County with optimal health, development and wellbeing to reach his or her greatest potential. This vision will be achieved, in partnership with the community, as F5AC supports a county-wide continuous prevention and early intervention system that is in service of improving the lives of children 0 to 5 and their families.
As an innovative public entity created by passage of Proposition 10 which added fifty cents per pack of cigarettes to help fund early care and education for children 0-5, F5AC has financial reserves, dedicated funding in perpetuity and continues to position itself for new opportunities for revenue growth.
ABOUT THE POSITION
F5AC seeks an accountable, collaborative and strategic Director of Operations and Technology (DOT) to provide leadership, direction, and oversight to all infrastructure and operations, including human resources, information technology, finance and administrative functions. The DOT focuses on integrating and optimizing operational and resource utilization effectiveness in support of achieving the organization’s mission.
This position receives general direction from the Chief Executive Officer, and exercises general direction and supervision over the Human Resources Administrator, Technology Officer, Financial Officer, and Senior Office Manager. This is a single incumbent Director-level and Exempt position participating in the Agency Leadership Team, and, as one of the agency executive management positions, interfaces with the F5AC Commission.
Typical Job Functions
- Leads and manages senior-level staff responsible for the major functional areas of the agency and directly supervises the Human Resources Administrator, Technology Officer, Financial Officer, and Senior Office Manager
- Coordinates and facilitates communication between HR, technology, administrative, and finance staff to ensure optimal use of resources; integration of operations with program issues and fiscal needs; appropriate internal controls; and standardized protocols and practices to enhance overall agency effectiveness
- May lead or work in partnership with program, planning, policy and evaluation to ensure operations is supporting initiatives and organizational efforts to achieve the agency’s mission, ensure efficiencies and maximize resources
- Collaborates with CEO, program and finance staff on strategies to ensure F5AC remains fiscally sound, including collaborating with the Financial Officer on the development implementation and on-going monitoring of the long range financial plan and annual audits
- Negotiates contracts with technology and operational providers, manages through subordinate supervisor to ensure that contracts are prepared and executed accurately and timely, and ensures compliance with contract deliverables
- Through supervision of the Technology Officer, oversees the F5AC technology function and supports the technology vision in service to the programmatic, evaluation and community needs and First 5’s mission
- Collaborates with the Technology Officer on maintenance and enhancement of HIGH5 data information systems for tracking outcomes and program performance
- Responsible for the analysis of changes, with operation leads, in relevant funding and human resource regulations, policies, or funding streams
- Plans, facilitates, manages and participates in various agency-level planning and decision-making bodies and convenes other work groups or teams as needed
- Communicates plans and operational considerations both written and orally to the F5AC Commission delivering clear, compelling oral presentations for approval
- In the absence of the CEO, assumes management responsibility for F5AC
- Regularly drives and/or travels throughout Alameda County (to perform the above job duties, driving is an essential function of this position)
- Manages, through subordinate supervisor, the class, compensation, recruitment, onboarding, benefits, performance management, worker’s compensation, payroll and all leave programs
- Management principles and practices, including work planning, employee supervision and business and project management
- Principles of public administration and human resource management
- Practices and techniques of administrative and financial analysis and report preparation including: Local, state, and federal government operations and funding streams and accepted practices for governmental budget management and accounting, financial recordkeeping and payroll procedures, and grants and contracts administration, with business acumen to creatively balance the delivery of programs against budget realities
- Computer applications and hardware and software related to the work
- Public personnel, purchasing and contract administration practices
- Budgetary, contract and grant administration and financial record-keeping and reporting practices
- Office administrative practices and procedures, including records management and the operation of standard office equipment
- Serve effectively as a member of the Agency Executive Team establishing and maintaining effective, collaborative working relationships with a wide range of professionals and para-professionals including but not limited to, F5AC staff and Commission members, partnering agencies, stakeholders, and members of the broader business community
- Direct and manage a variety of administrative, financial and technology services functions
- Plan, supervise, review and evaluate the work of others, either directly or through subordinate supervision
- Plan and conduct complex administrative and operational projects to completion
- Interpret, explain and apply complex policies, regulations and procedures
- Prepare clear and accurate reports, correspondence, procedures, policies and other written materials
- Exercise sound independent judgment within established policies and guidelines and prioritize the work to meet critical deadlines
- Think strategically and analytically, incorporating new information and trends into organizational planning to guide and inform the operational plans and sustainability of the agency
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and sensitivity in a variety of contexts
Comprehensive benefits package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and list of three references to F5AC@walkeraac.com on or before 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 31, 2018. Use the subject line: F5AC DOT Application. Submit Microsoft Word or PDF files only (one combined PDF file is preferred).
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of First 5 Alameda County to afford equal opportunity in all aspects of employment to all persons without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, physical or mental disabilities, color, marital status, sexual orientation or medical condition, or any other basis protected by law. This policy shall apply to all employees and applicants for employment, and extends to all phases of employment, including hiring, training, promotion, discharge or layoff, rehiring, compensation and benefits.