Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to lead the search for the Director of Finance and Administration for Climate Central, a growing independent organization of leading scientists and journalists with the mission of communicating climate change science, effects and solutions to the public and decision-makers.
This full-time leadership opportunity is for immediate hire. During the pandemic, this role will work both remotely and in the organization’s beautiful offices located in Princeton, New Jersey. Long-term, this role will be in-office two or more days per week.
About Climate Central
Climate Central uses science, big data, and technology to generate thousands of local storylines and compelling visuals that make climate change personal and show what can be done about it. The organization addresses climate science, sea level rise, extreme weather, energy, and related topics and collaborates widely with TV meteorologists, journalists, and other respected voices to reach audiences across diverse geographies and beliefs. Founded in 2008, Climate Central works in almost every US media market and its research and imagery have appeared in well over 100 nations and been cited by US and world leaders. Members of the Climate Central staff and board are among the most respected leaders in climate science and communications.
You can learn more here: https://www.climatecentral.org/
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Finance and Administration is a hands-on, participative leader who will play a key role in ensuring the organization’s successful operations and in safeguarding its long-term financial stability. This role will oversee finance, accounting, HR and other administrative aspects of the organization, participating in policy setting, implementation of practices, communication with staff and ongoing delivery of services.
More specifically, the Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for the accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, tax compliance, investments, risk/insurance and audit functions for the organization. Additionally, this role oversees human resources functions (though many HR, payroll and benefits administration functions are outsourced to a partner vendor), along with facilities management, office administration, procurement, contracts management and vendor relations (including counsel). As Climate Central grows and evolves its programming to further meet demands, this role will partner with leaders across the organization to facilitate streamlined sharing and updating of financial information to support programming.
The Director of Finance and Administration directly manages a Senior Accountant role and will interface with staff, management, Board members, committees of the Board, auditors, vendors, donors and regulatory agencies.
Key aspects/requirements of this role include:
· Strong knowledge of nonprofit finance, accounting and related controls;
· Strong financial stewardship and the highest level of integrity;
· Strong communication skills and ability to work with leaders across the organization on budgeting, tracking and financial aspects of grant reporting.
Additionally, this position assists with managing risk for the organization (i.e. cyber and other insurances).
This highly impactful role is best suited for a candidate with strong presentation and written communication skills who is comfortable presenting reports, budgets and outcomes to key stakeholders, such as the Board Finance Committee and Senior Leadership. Additionally, a successful candidate will be skilled at partnering with non-finance staff to facilitate project and mission objectives. Integrity, credibility, professionalism and a commitment to the mission of Climate Central is a must.
Financial and Accounting Management (estimated 40%)
Oversight and management of all systems and procedures for the proper accounting activities and financial position of Climate Central including:
· Oversight and participation in the posting of accounting entries;
· Control of the general ledger and sub-ledgers;
· Preparation, analysis and communication of recurring financial reporting and financial statements;
· Timely and efficient preparation of annual audited financial statements, 990 tax returns, and relevant federal filings;
· Oversight and participation in the annual budget process and periodic reporting on results versus budget;
· Managing cash flow and investments and coordinating the relationships with banks;
· Oversight of compliance of financial system and records to federal and state regulations, generally accepted accounting principles, Board policies, industry standards and other required standards;
· Oversight of compliance matters relating to federal, state and local laws and national best practice standards, including requirements applying to Section 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charities;
· Preparation of donor requested budgets and grants financial reports;
· Communicating with and supporting the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees.
New key deliverables will include development of recurring, detailed reporting for management, assessment of the existing accounting system, and updating of process documentation. Additionally, the implementation of a robust cash management and investment process will be critical.
Human Resources (estimated 30%)
Oversight and management of all aspects of Human Resources to include:
· Management of and coordination with Climate Central’s HR service provider, 401k custodian and servicer, outside legal counsel and other related service providers;
· Serve as the plan sponsor for all company benefit and retirement plans;
· Serve as the fiduciary for the company’s retirement plan, working with the retirement plan servicer to maintain the plan in compliance with regulations;
· Serve as the primary contact for local, state and federal regulatory agencies.
Grants and Program Support Functions (estimated 15%)
Donor reporting and proposal budget preparation, including working with the development team and program directors on new/renewing grant proposals and reporting out on existing grants. This includes supporting the tracking of hours worked associated with grant projects.
Office and Facilities Administration (estimated 15%)
Administrative functions including premises and facilities management, insurance administration including risk assessments and related updates, procurement, contracts administration and vendor relations. Vendor relations includes the coordination of selection of legal counsel and supporting the relationship with outside counsel.
Other duties may also be assigned as needed.
A strong candidate for the role will possess at least seven years of increasing responsibility and experience as a finance and administration leader for a nonprofit organization. We are seeking candidates with the following:
· Experience with oversight and responsibility for the finance and accounting functions on behalf of a nonprofit organization with a budget of at least $5 million.
· Experience with non-profit accounting requirements and funding sources, including grants reporting.
· Ability to translate financial concepts to – and effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues.
· Prior experience supervising, coaching and mentoring.
· High proficiency with spreadsheet and accounting software.
· Technology savvy with experience selecting and implementing software tools, managing relationships with vendors, and knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
· Experience with Quickbooks and Salesforce a plus.
· Experience completing a section 133 audit a plus.
A Bachelor’s or advanced degree in accounting, finance or business is required or the equivalent.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in the areas of financial/accounting management and administrative oversight and have a robust understanding of operations related to nonprofit organizations. The ideal candidate will also have strong communication and leadership skills and offer experience evolving finance, accounting and administration processes/procedures in a growing organization.
Compensation and Benefits:
This full-time opportunity offers the ability to make significant impact in supporting the programming and mission of a growing team in climate change education and research.
This role offers a competitive salary between $155,000 to $185,000 annually and additionally offers an exceptional full benefits package. Benefits include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage and employer paid life insurance, long-term disability, short-term disability and AD&D. In terms of retirement, Climate Central matches employee contributions up to 6% of eligible salary as a Safe Harbor Match and additionally makes a contribution of 6% of eligible salary in the form of a Non-Elective Match (employee and employer contributions are vested immediately). 12 paid holidays, generous PTO at 24 days a year and other perks firm up this package.
This is an opportunity, position and mission that will inspire you daily!
Climate Central has retained the services of Scion Executive Search, a national executive search firm specializing in mission-driven organization recruitment, to assist in conducting this important search. For immediate consideration please apply with your resume and cover letter, in Microsoft Word format if possible, via: http://www.scionstaffing.com/job/7207/.
Please address questions about this opportunity to:
Scion Executive Search
Attn: Rebecca Lerol
(888) 487-8850 x 126
Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue on a confidential basis until an appointment is made.
About Our Firm:
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and successes can be found online at http://www.scionexecutivesearch.com.
Scion is an equal opportunity employer and service provider committed to not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principals of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.
Climate Central EEO Statement:
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or employee, on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to lead the search for the Director of Finance and Administration for Climate Central, a growing independent organization of leading scientists and journalists…
This role offers an exceptional full benefits package. Benefits include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage and employer paid life insurance, long-term disability, short-term disability and AD&D. In terms of retirement, Climate Central matches employee contributions up to 6% of eligible salary as a Safe Harbor Match and additionally makes a contribution of 6% of eligible salary in the form of a Non-Elective Match (employee and employer contributions are vested immediately). 12 paid holidays, generous PTO at 24 days a year and other perks firm up this package.
This role offers an exceptional full benefits package. Benefits include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage and employer paid life insurance, long-term disability, short-term…
Climate Central has retained the services of Scion Executive Search, a national executive search firm specializing in mission-driven organization recruitment, to assist in conducting this important search. For immediate consideration please apply with your resume and cover letter, in Microsoft Word format if possible, via: http://www.scionstaffing.com/job/7207/
Climate Central has retained the services of Scion Executive Search, a national executive search firm specializing in mission-driven organization recruitment, to assist in…