District of Columbia
TenSquare is a national charter school support organization that works alongside schools and staff to make lasting and measurable change. Working in nine states and the District of Columbia, TenSquare has practice areas in school performance, talent services, facility development, and authorizer/agency support. TenSquare team members bring operational and management expertise from top tier schools and networks from around the country.
TenSquare works in partnership with schools and school systems to help them navigate the charter accountability landscape, grow and thrive in an increasingly competitive charter school environment, and improve student outcomes. Specifically, we:
- Provide strategic and focused accountability coaching for leaders and boards;
- Develop and help implement high-impact and proven instructional coaching strategies and professional development to increase student achievement;
- Strengthen organizational performance through enhanced processes for budgeting, staffing, scheduling, compliance, and other operational priorities;
- Conduct in-depth performance audits and create data-driven action plans and operational road maps for change;
- Provide performance data analysis and compliance support;
- Facilitate long-term capacity building, strategic planning, and turnaround initiatives;
- Recruit high performing teachers and leaders for PK-12 and Adult Ed schools;
- Support planning, development, and financing of facilities projects.
Our strategic, hands-on engagements have led to significant gains in student achievement and organizational performance as measured by state exams and authorizer report cards.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Operations and Finance Specialist is a member of TenSquare’s School Improvement Team and builds the capacity of operations and finance leaders at TenSquare partner schools. This position helps assess current policies and practices, makes best practice recommendations for improved performance, and drives the changes with school-based leaders on the ground. The Senior Operations and Finance Specialist coaches school leaders and trains new operations and finance leaders to manage teams to improve operational and financial processes and functions including finance, human resource management, student recruitment and enrollment, compliance monitoring and reporting, facilities maintenance, security and food service, IT support, and outsourcing management. This position sometimes takes on a direct role as interim CFO or COO for one or more schools.
The Senior Operations and Finance Specialist will work with school leaders to:
- Drive the annual budget planning process
- Manage school budget within Board-approved financial parameters and review monthly financial reports to ensure the school hits financial targets and to adjust when mid-year variances are detected
- Ensure control environment is strong and develop enhanced financial procedures where appropriate
- Oversee all financial processes including accounts payable, accounts receivable, monthly close, payroll, general accounting functions, annual audit, grant reporting, and regulatory reporting
- Oversee asset management, including inventories of fixed assets
Student Recruitment and Enrollment
- Manage student recruitment efforts and achieve full enrollment each year
- Ensure student information is collected in a timely manner to satisfy all external constituencies and student data is protected
- Oversee all functions related to the physical plant, school property, school equipment to ensure smooth daily operations
- Manage all facilities-related contractors and service providers including custodial staff and all custodial contracts to ensure that school building is clean and well- maintained
Safety & Security
- Ensure that appropriate safety and security procedures are established and followed
- Manage emergency preparedness and compliance
- Oversee external security company
- Oversee vendor selection process and contracts
- Oversee staffing and service quality and implementation
- Oversee compliance reporting deliverables and deadlines
Information Technology and Reporting
- Develop and execute on IT long-term plan
- Ensure the ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure, including hardware, software and applications
- Ensure data reporting internally and externally is streamlined, accurate, and timely
- Oversee human resource processes including payroll, benefits, files and paperwork
- Oversee recruitment and retention practices
- Oversee benefits plans including managing the employee benefits brokers and ensuring all employee issues are resolved promptly
- Ensure the school’s performance management process is running smoothly
- Support the school’s relationship with the DC Public Charter School Board and staff and other regulatory agencies such as the Office of the State Superintendent of Education, including the compliance and performance monitoring and reporting functions
- Ensure school-wide compliance with health and safety laws, charter contracts, state education mandates, and all federal and state workplace regulations
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA, MPP, MPA, CMA or other advanced degree preferred
- At least five years of operational and finance senior leadership experience ideally serving as an organization/company COO or CFO for at least three years; charter school leadership experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations and develop multi-step solutions leading to measurable change
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and manage business systems and processes to support a multi-million dollar organization
- Strong analytical skills, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational, project management, and time management skills —ability to develop SMART goals, dashboards, and other tools to measure, evaluate, and report on project success
- Excellent people manager and team player—able to work in diverse settings with adults from various experiences and backgrounds
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with ability to communicate well with diverse stakeholders and staff
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding decisions involving system structures
- Significant experience with at least several of the following functional areas: finance, human resources, external affairs & compliance, school-based operations, information technology, and legal services
- Commitment to accountability and data-driven decision making
- A demonstrated passion for advancing educational opportunities in low-income communities; knowledge of the charter school movement, a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here to apply to the Senior Operations and Finance Specialist position.
No phone calls please.
TenSquare provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, TenSquare complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.