For over 80 years, people have trusted Consumer Reports to work for a safe, fair and transparent marketplace that serves their interests and help them make informed decisions. This commitment to putting consumers first is reflected in our work bringing people together to advocate for consumer rights -- whether in the halls of government or the headquarters of corporations. We believe that consumer power is an extraordinary force. Working alongside our members, we don't hesitate to launch actions against powerful corporate actors. And we win. We've led campaigns that have pushed fast food companies to adopt sustainable practices, passed reforms that protect a free and open internet, and forced safety improvements in cars and other products.
ResponsibilitiesCommunity Engagement Lead (~80%):
Our track record shows: it's by harnessing the collective power of consumers that we can hold even the largest corporations accountable and promote policies that protect people in the marketplace. As Associate Director, you'll help us envisage the next era of consumer engagement. Your role is to design and implement strategies and systems that scale our engaged community, build strong partnerships across diverse organizations and networks, and most importantly, empower consumers to be leaders in advocating for change. You'll be instrumental in mapping out the investments and technologies needed to build partnerships with diverse networks and groups. And you'll help us reach new, younger, diverse audiences. We're looking for someone to build consumer power in an age when consumers need a powerful partner to stand up for their rights. Inspired? Then we want to meet you.
- Develop and lead a strategic vision for building and sustaining an engaged community
- Design programs and platforms that drive communication with and among members, creating a sense of community and belonging
- Direct the work and provide daily management of CR's Community Engagement team (based in NY and DC)
- Partner with divisions such as Marketing, Content, Advocacy and Communications to oversee the testing and development of external partnerships that could attract new audiences for CR; actively measure results of outreach projects and quickly iterate to optimize the growth of community
- Make clear decisions and trade-offs based on goals to run community at scale
- Define, optimize, and report on community growth and engagement metrics and key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Oversee the creation of programs that inspire, support, and strengthen our relationships with consumers
Operations Support (~20%):
- Assist with managing operations of mobilization team and track progress of priority work streams
- Help design roadmap for mobilization efforts, such as developing opportunities for testing and growth
- Set engagement goals with Director of Mobilization to help the department and CR as a whole measure success, including return on investment (ROI) and KPIs
- Regularly report on progress through presentations to Social Impact leadership and other fora, including internal steering committees, leadership groups and divisions.
- Bachelor's degree required
- 5+ years of experience with community engagement, particularly through organizations with large membership communities
- 3-5 years experience managing a team
- Demonstrated effectiveness in achieving clear wins in growing and scaling community programs; experience identifying and implementing innovative approaches in campaigning and engagement
- Results- and data- oriented - able to articulate strategic goals and success measures, along with key milestones and roadmaps.
- Exceptional people skills, including the ability to build consensus and create trust
- Deep experience in project management and planning
- Highly organized and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Able to effectively manage geographically dispersed teams
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Willingness to travel