Media Relations Associate
- Job posted by Pace University
For more than 100 years, Pace University has been preparing students to become leaders in their fields by providing an education that combines exceptional academics with professional experience and the New York advantage. Pace has campuses in New York City and Westchester County. A private metropolitan university, Pace enrolls nearly 13,000 students in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs in the College of Health Professions, Dyson College of Arts and Sciences, Lubin School of Business, School of Education, Elisabeth Haub School of Law, and Seidenberg School of Computer Science and Information Systems.
Media Relations Associate
New York City Campus
The Media Relations Associate works within the University Relations division to coordinate media outreach and faculty coordination for coverage and story generation to promote Pace University. The main goal for this position is to generate frequent, high-impact, positive media coverage aligned with the strategic mission of Pace. This includes maximizing its public presence and visibility, promoting and enhancing its reputation, as well as that of its president, leadership and faculty, building its regional, national and international standing, and magnifying the value of its brand identity. S/he serves as a key contact for reporters, producers, news outlets, and other external organizations, and a media contact person for the Lubin School of Business, Dyson College of Arts and Sciences (and School of Performing Arts), College of Health Professions, School of Education, Elisabeth Haub School of Law, and Seidenberg School of Computer Science and Information Systems, working closely with deans and faculty of each school to promote their initiatives, faculty research and accomplishments, student successes, external events and awards, and more.
Critical functions include:
- Communications/News – Generate frequent, high-impact coverage, across all platforms, and arrange and produce interviews, press conferences, presentations, and events, with an emphasis on the strategic use of current and emerging internet, online and social media-based platforms, applications, resources, and technologies.
- Research/Writing – Locate, synthesize and compile information to develop compelling talking points, press releases, advisories, op-eds, testimony, speeches, and reports.
- Relationships – Develop and maintain key media contacts.
- Online Assets and Metrics – Support the Media Relations website site, and social media platforms. Maintain expert database; media lists; compiling media coverage and measuring outcomes.
- Events – Participate in planning, production and management of key events, attend and report on strategic internal and external meetings and events
- Special Projects – Participate in special projects, campaigns and initiatives when needed.
- Promote Pace University by developing and placing feature and trend stories in national, local and international media outlets.
- Identify and publicize distinctive and newsworthy programs, events, faculty discoveries, books and expertise, and student trends and achievements in contexts of external trends and competitive climate.
- Write compelling press releases, advisories, media pitches, talking points, op-eds, testimony, speeches, confidential, reports, and position papers. Produce press kits and other collateral materials. Issue news source advisories. Submit event and other listing to the AP Daybook, wire services, event/news calendars, and other media/news/event platforms.
- Adapt and repurpose releases and other information, materials and data assets into stories for internal publications and similar uses.
- Manage, maintain and enhance real-time database of staff and faculty news experts.
- Arrange and produce interviews, news conferences, presentations, and other events. Serve as liaison to the media and other outside parties at University events.
- Coordinate effective responses to media queries.
- Respond to selected Profnet queries; schedule appearances and other requests.
- Collaborate with marketing and publications department in providing artwork, photos, “B”-roll, etc., as well as content staff in meeting homepage, social media and other content needs.
- Participate in alerting media to University closings and emergencies.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key media outlets and news organizations; education, higher-education and other journalists, including student media; and other relevant and important external contacts.
- Monitor, measure and evaluate results of activity, contributing to departmental performance and effectiveness.
- Participate as appropriate in ongoing development of integrated communications plans for the University and schools.
- Refine and execute plans for media coverage of commencement for the New York campus.
- Maintain connections with Pace’s Development and Alumni Relations division, other University Relations departments, administrative staff throughout the University, as well as with external contacts including government, civic and business organizations, public relations allies, and partner organizations.
- Perform other such duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in liberal arts, journalism, communications or related field required
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience in journalism and/or public relations
- Knowledge of and proficiency with social media platforms, typical media applications, and press resources
- Excellent writing skills a must
- Solid experience executing an editorial plan
- Organized problem-solver with great interpersonal abilities who works well under pressure
- Must have experience placing stories and working with national and local news outlets
Pace University offers a competitive total rewards package including tuition benefits for employees & their family; flexible work-life options; and generous time off.
To apply, please visit
Pace University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required