Deputy Vice President, Communications and Marketing
- Job posted by UnidosUS
District of Columbia
Deputy Vice President, Communications
UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges the social, economic, and political barriers at the national and local levels. For 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our community stronger. For more information on UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org.
UnidosUS seeks a Deputy Vice President of Communications (DVP) to develop and implement the strategy, messaging, and execution of integrated communications and comprehensive media relations in support of the outreach, engagement, and advocacy priorities of UnidosUS. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Marketing and Communications (SVP), the DVP will serve as a key leader in a collaborative team working across departments to support the organization’s mission, priorities, and initiatives through strategic communications and messaging to key stakeholders.
The ideal candidate is a highly sophisticated and seasoned communications leader who thrives in a collaborative, entrepreneurial, and inclusive culture. Further, s/he will also bring strong experience crafting and executing integrated marketing communications strategies, with demonstrated skill in “translating” complex policy issues to broader target audiences and stakeholders.
Communications and Media Relations
- In partnership with the SVP, develop and execute communications strategies designed to support and promote UnidosUS’s programmatic work and positions on policy issues, with a particular focus on increasing the accessibility of UnidosUS’s materials.
- Lead and manage the creation of strategic documents, press releases, creative media pitches, executive scripts, talking points, and briefing memos for organization policy communications campaign and program-related initiatives.
- Increase UnidosUS’s relevancy and impact by tailoring and distilling complex concepts into coherent and easy-to-digest communications materials, serving as a “translator” of policy issues for our broader target audiences and stakeholders.
- Represent UnidosUS at high-level external events and with key stakeholders, including but not limited to members of Congress, policymakers, corporate partners, coalition partners, and media contacts.
- Write and edit high-quality content for internal and external audiences, including speeches, annual reports, and other documents.
- Develop metrics to assess the effectiveness and impact of communications initiatives and tools.
- Serve as a media spokesperson, communicate broader key messages to the press, and prepare UnidosUS spokespeople and executives for interviews and speaking opportunities.
Team Leadership and Development
- In partnership with the SVP, provide strategic direction to the Marcomm team and oversee the execution of all communications activities, ensuring accountability and measurable outcomes.
- Lead and develop a team of three direct reports, and work closely across other MarComm teams, including marketing, digital/social media, editorial content, design, and events, fostering a culture of action, learning, and innovation.
- Collaborate and partner with teams across the organization, including policy, programs, resource development, and the Office of the President, to support the achievement of UnidosUS’ overall mission.
- Serve as point of contact for all consultants, such as PR agencies, news agencies, or event organizers to ensure project goals, timelines, and budget parameters are met.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or a related field required; Master’s degree a plus.
- 15+ years of relevant communications experience with demonstrated success leading an integrated marketing communications (IMC) strategy across internal and external audiences.
- Knowledge of the national political landscape with a clear understanding of policy implications on the Latino community strongly preferred.
- Strong experience working with the national and local general market and Hispanic media: print, broadcast, digital, and social.
- Experience in political campaigns, public relations, and/or a public affairs firm is highly desired.
- Demonstrated success developing proactive, creative media relations campaigns and events.
- Superb interpersonal skills with experience motivating, coaching, and developing high-performing teams.
- Ability to distill complex policy issues into effective communications materials for diverse target audiences.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage a variety of projects in a fast-paced environment while maintaining focus on high-level organizational goals.
- A savvy, creative, smart, and innovative leader with keen public relations intuition, exceptional judgment, and excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Familiarity with the U.S. Hispanic community, Hispanic nonprofit organizations, and the Hispanic market and consumer a plus.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends as required by the role. Open to occasional travel.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Minimum Education Required