- Job posted by Women Moving Millions
Women Moving Millions is seeking a passionate, highly qualified Executive Director to lead the organization. The Executive Director reports to the WMM Board of Directors. This is a full-time position based in New York City.
About Women Moving Millions:
Women Moving Millions (WMM) is a global philanthropic community of people committed to large-scale investment in women and girls. Since 2007, WMM has inspired bold levels of giving, creating a new culture in breakthrough philanthropy. Our mission is to mobilize unprecedented resources for the advancement of women and girls. To date, over 290 donors have pledged over $600M to organizations and initiatives of their choosing that share WMM's commitment to the advancement of women and girls throughout the world. The organization's founding principles include:
- “We believe that if women step up and make big, bold investments, we can end gender inequality.
- We commit to cultivating philanthropic leaders because we know that fully activated leadership has the power to inspire change.
- We know that, with women's global wealth at an unprecedented high, the time to act is now.”
WMM's History: From Campaign to Community
WMM took form in 2005, when Helen LaKelly Hunt and her sister, Ambassador Swanee Hunt, each pledged $1M to “raise the bar on women's giving.” These matching pledges sparked a major global funding campaign that inspired other donors to join and amplify the voices of women worldwide. In partnership with the Women's Funding Network (WFN), the initiative led to $182M pledges made by 102 donors.
In 2009, the plan to move WMM from campaign to community was developed. With the support of committed donors and $1.5M seed grant from J.P. Morgan Chase, Women Moving Millions, Inc. was born, with Jacki Zehner as the founding Board President.
Today, WMM is a growing global community of over 290 people in 14 countries, each of whom have given $1M or more to organizations and initiatives focused on the advancement of women and girls. Collectively, members have made bold gift commitments of over $600M and continue to give support well beyond those initial commitments, making WMM the largest community of individuals giving $1M or more to create impact for women and girls. We aim to Connect. Inspire. Learn from each other and the world. We do this through educating ourselves about issues through webinars, holding in-person convenings, and sharing information on private channels of communication. We are also launching a Philanthropic Leadership curriculum in Q1 2019.
Based in New York City, WMM has an annual operating budget of approximately $2M and a small, high performing team of four. WMM is primed for its next chapter and is seeking a visionary Executive Director to map out the future of the organization and deepen the impact of its committed and engaged members and strategic partners.
For more information on Women Moving Millions, please visit womenmovingmillions.org.
The Executive Director must be an experienced leader with a strong commitment to the mission and values of WMM. The Executive Director's core responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Organizational Management and Team Leadership
- Lead and grow a highly successful team, providing ongoing coaching, guidance, and support to staff members and ensuring high levels of performance
- Support a culture of collaboration, transparency, trust, and accountability, in which team members understand their role in helping to achieve WMM's overall mission and are held accountable for their responsibilities
- Establish an efficient, effective, entrepreneurial organizational structure and spirit, with clearly defined responsibilities and lines of authority and accountability
- Provide strong operational and financial oversight, including ensuring sound budgets and human resources practices and policies
- Ensure that overall financial and legal controls and procedures are in place and compliant with all regulatory requirements
- Strategic Leadership
- In collaboration with the Board and staff, implement the plans required to bring the vision for WMM's next chapter to fruition
- Leverage and motivate all of the power and potential of WMM's staff and Board to ensure that the organization is fulfilling its mission as a membership organization providing services and connections that advance its members' individual and collective philanthropic strategies. Significantly grow the membership each year to further the mission of philanthropic giving
- Cultivate and inspire a culture of innovation and creativity that results in new ideas and initiatives, ultimately leading to systems-change philanthropic investment that improves outcomes for women and girls
- Build partnerships with organizations to learn and to leverage the work to advance women and girls
- External Relations and Fundraising
- Develop and implement effective fundraising strategies for WMM from a diverse range of sources, including corporate, private, and institutional donors; provide regular updates to the Board on the status of fundraising initiatives and strategies
- Appropriately leverage relationships and resources of the Board and encourage Board members and staff to actively participate in fundraising activities
- Serve as a compelling, inspirational voice for the organization to a wide range of internal and external audiences, including members, staff, funders, partners, and the media
- Board Partnership and Communication
- Partner with the Chair of the Board to plan for Board meetings and updates, providing ongoing reporting on overall organizational performance and initiatives
- Collaborate with key Board committees on a range of strategic initiatives, including identifying and orienting new Board members, fundraising, and supporting governance activities. The Executive Director also serves as a non-voting Director on the Board of WMM and contributes to Board governance
- Inform staff of Board policies and decisions and ensure that they are implemented in a timely and consistent manner
The Executive Director must be an experienced, innovative, and collaborative leader with compelling presence and exceptional communications and relationship building skills.
Specific desired skills, knowledge, and characteristics include:
- Authentic passion for the WMM mission and vision, including a desire to work in close collaboration with WMM's members and to help create better outcomes for women and girls
- Experience as a senior leader in a mission-driven and/or nonprofit environment, including demonstrated ability to lead and grow teams, develop and implement strategies that result in measurable impact, and the professional and personal wisdom and judgement acquired through exposure to a wide range of leadership experiences and challenges
- Demonstrated track record of expanding the scope, impact, and visibility of an organization or significant initiative
- Experience raising funds from individuals, foundations, corporations, and other organizations or directly transferrable experience
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to articulate WMM's mission and work in a clear and inspirational way to a wide range of audiences as a spokesperson and writer
- Strong management and coaching skills, with demonstrated ability to achieve high levels of performance and outcomes through management and influence; a reputation for leading with integrity and transparency and making sound management decisions with the input of appropriate stakeholders
- Strong sensitivity and commitment to gender, cultural, racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity
- A sense of humor and a desire to work in partnership with a passionate, diverse, and highly engaged global philanthropic community committed to large-scale investment in women and girls
Molly Brennan of Koya Leadership Partners has been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Women Moving Millions is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education, and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.
Minimum Education Required