Executive Director of Real Estate and Planning
City University of New York
Office of Facilities Planning, Construction and Management
The City University of New York (CUNY), Office of Facilities Planning, Construction, and Management (FPCM) is responsible for CUNY’s facilities management and capital program which provides new facilities, renovations, and upgrades to the University’s 300 buildings across 25 colleges and professional schools. FPCM’s goal is to preserve the University’s campus assets, and when appropriate expand the University’s facilities portfolio, to meet 21st century demands.
The Executive Director of Real Estate and Planning (Executive Director) at FPCM is a critical senior position serving as the key advisor to the University’s Vice Chancellor for Facilities Planning, Construction and Management (Vice Chancellor) for actions pertaining to the departments of Real Estate and Planning.
The Executive Director supports and advises the Vice Chancellor in the strategic planning, supervision, and delivery of services for two key areas within FPCM which must work closely with one another to deliver Real Estate Transactions and Facilities Planning. The following are the highlights of the two areas:
- Determining the space needs for each campus, based on the Academic Programs;
- Preparing the physical master plans and amendments for each campus, based on enrollment projections by discipline as approved by the Offices of Academic Affairs and Budget;
- Conducting space utilization studies;
- Maintaining the Space Management Inventory;
- Analyzing and preparing the materials for the annual Capital Budget Request; and
- Managing the Facility Condition Assessment process.
Real Estate Transactions
- Coordinating efforts to maximize the University’s real estate assets;
- Identifying viable public private projects on CUNY campuses;
- Working with consultants and colleges on site selection and planning;
- Assisting in selection of consultant team including drafting scope of work, issuing RFPs, conducting interviews, analyzing proposals, and negotiating agreements and fees; and
- Overseeing consultant team’s work including conducting planning studies, feasibility analysis, zoning analysis, traffic studies, financial analysis, and negotiation with private developers.
The Executive Director will also work strategically with the Vice Chancellor to coordinate work with other departments within FPCM:
Design, Construction and Management
The Department of Design, Construction and Management are CUNY’s architects and engineers. This group is responsible for:
- Implementing the design and construction of funded projects;
- Selecting Architectural and Engineering consultants;
- Coordinating functional and technical requirements of projects;
- Supervising project delivery while the colleges continue to operate;
- Providing technical support;
- Managing spend-out of Critical Maintenance and Condition Assessment funds; and
- Overseeing energy conservation planning and project coordination.
Financial Management and Administration
The Financial Management and Administration unit, including the University’s Capital Budget group, is responsible for:
- Preparing CUNY's annual Capital Budget Requests;
- Lobbying for capital funds;
- Acting as liaisons to various offices; and
- Performing accounting services and fiscal management;
- Managing all recruitment and personnel matters.
Sustainability and Energy Conservation
- Working with faculty, administrators, and students in leading the University’s sustainability efforts;
- Helping to identify and implement sustainability measures, supporting operations & maintenance programs, and assisting with securing grant funding;
- Organizing city-wide efforts through the DG Hub program, which leads the NYC Solar Partnership and works with NYC agencies to develop tools, educational resources and provide technical assistance to solar and battery storage stakeholders; and
- The CUNY Conserves program works with each campus to provide information, support research, conduct energy planning and compile university reports.
- Assist the Vice Chancellor in all aspects of managing and leading the functions of Real Estate and Space Planning;
- Support the Vice Chancellor with drafting resolutions and presentations seeking approvals from the University’s Board of Trustees’ Committee on Facilities Planning and Management and The City University Construction Fund’s Board of Trustees;
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with University central offices and departments and with each of the University’s colleges and their key campus administration officials, faculty and staff;
- Undertake special projects and play a key leadership role on behalf of the Vice Chancellor to follow up and bring projects to completion;
- In collaboration with the Vice Chancellor, develop the strategic direction for the supervised teams to align their actions with the University strategic priorities;
- Supervise staff members to achieve the desired performance and objectives;
- Lead the management and development of space planning studies and inventories for Central Offices and all Campuses;
- Support the Vice Chancellor with the development and documentation of the annual university-wide capital plan;
- Direct staff and work with all campuses to manage space assignment data, facility operations and preventive maintenance through the Archibus system;
- Work with the Vice Chancellor and the Campuses to develop Campus Master Plans and their associated development processes;
- Maintain Floor Plans database and AutoCAD drawings to be current, accurate, and in compliance with CUNY, FICM, and BOMA standards;
- Develop space data and analysis as needed;
- Maintain a Facility Condition Assessment tool to continuously report to the Vice Chancellor on the health of Campus Facilities and their maintenance priorities;
- Lead the development of policies and implement all Real Estate Transactions for the University;
- Study, analyze and recommend asset monetization, space acquisitions, and dispositions;
- Oversee and lead all potential Public-Private Partnership Projects;
- Through the team, coordinate all activities within the leased properties with the landlords;
- Coordinate all real estate procurements, broker requirement contracts, real estate services requirement contracts, titles, surveys, and appraisals;
- Negotiate leasing term sheets, oversee lease negotiations and perform financial management of leases;
- Continuously develop processes and mechanisms to identify opportunities for lease savings; and
- Provide system approvals as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Business, Engineering or other related fields;
- Demonstrated experiences in Real Estate Transactions, P3 and Space Planning as outlined in the Job Responsibilities above;
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint;
- Experience in prioritizing projects, meeting deadlines and initiating follow through with meticulous attention to detail and high-level accuracy both individually and in a team setting;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain working relationships with staff, partner agencies, Colleges and all other internal and external partners with the utmost professionalism;
- Business acumen, collaborative leadership, and organizational and communication competencies;
- Excellent Problem-Solving skills;
- Strategic thinker and demonstrated ability to understand complex problems with multifaceted aspects and skillful at negotiating and bringing consensus for solving issues;
- High level of accountability and commitment; and
- Proficient in technology Systems.
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- MA in Business Administration, Government Relations, or related field;
- Experience working in a large complex organization, in the public sector and/or in higher education.
Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Review of resumes to begin 8/7/2022
Posting Open Until: 9/7/2022 (or until filled)
TO APPLY: https://www.rfcuny.org/careers/postings?pvnID=VC-2207-004922
OR USE NAVIGATION: www.rfcuny.org > ABOUT > Search & Apply for a Job > Select Category: Managerial and Professional > Click on Link: Executive Director of Real Estate and Planning.
The Research Foundation of the City University of New York is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act/Protected Veterans Status/E-Verify Employer.