- Job posted by The Brookings Institution
The Brookings Institution
Equal-Opportunity Employer: It is Brookings policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all of its employees and applicants without regard to their actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, citizenship status, family responsibilities, gender identity or expression, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, veteran status, or any other prohibited basis of discrimination as required by law.
Program Global Economy and Development
Job Funtion Research
Posted Date 2018-08-31
Job ID 2018-1856
Salary Commensurate with experience
The Global Economy and Development program at Brookings aims to shape the policy debate on how to improve global economic cooperation and fight global poverty and sources of social stress. The goal of the program's Africa Growth Initiative (AGI) is to inform policy that makes a difference in the lives of the people of Africa; its research is designed to create strong policy capable of creating sustained economic growth and development throughout Africa.
The Research Analyst supports the Senior Fellow and Fellows by providing research, writing, data and statistical analysis related to issues of comparative economic development, finance, and social urbanization policies with a focus on Africa. As an integral member of the AGI team, she/he performs quantitative analysis with limited supervision and delivers high quality output in a timely manner. Participates in the development, dissemination and presentation of research findings; organizes and executes events, shepherds publication processes, and provides administrative support as needed.
This is a two-year termed appointment.
Research Analysis (70%)
- Conducts quantitative data analysis, utilizing econometric and other statistical tools, compiles and organizes large datasets, and presents the results of empirical analysis in table and graphical format. Standardizes large datasets to enable analysis across numerous sources; develops conceptual models, methodologies, analysis and indices based on these datasets, using code in STATA and other tools and software as needed to operationalize analysis-methodologies; builds on previous quantitative analysis to suggest new methods, models, and questions for research
- Collects, assembles, and maintains datasets for quantitative analysis within STATA or similar software packages, and Microsoft (MS) Excel
- Writes high-quality summary documents; briefing memos; reports on forums, symposia, and conferences; compiles abstracts, summaries, and analyses of books and articles
- Researches data sources, updates and checks existing data; masters underlying methodologies and concepts of key economic data; prepares databases for computer analysis; presents results in a final, professional format; explains all facets of data along with implications for ongoing research
- For data-based projects, prepares and revises programming code, simulation macros, database files, and regression estimates; prepares tables and graphs output from model simulations.
- Conducts qualitative research on economic growth-related issues, which includes carrying out bibliographical searches, summarizing research papers, and contributing content and analysis
- Monitors, analyzes and summarizes current developments in relevant research areas
- Updates and checks existing data and footnotes; assists with editing and proofreading of publications
- Collaborates with research team to develop weekly news summaries for blogs and internal news briefings.
Research Support and Project Coordination (30%)
- Attends events, project workshop conferences and seminars as needed and prepares content for presentations, summaries, and blogs
- Serves as point of contact for consultants working on case studies off site; respond to inquiries, review their draft reports
- Assists fellows with the organization of meetings and conferences
- Works with AGI team, finance and communications teams to plan and design all levels and types of events; handles logistics and planning arrangements for event execution.
- Supports annual processes such as Foresight Africa, with social media, event planning, and logistical assignments as needed
- Supports ad hoc requests for policy support, preparing fact sheets, briefing notes for internal and external trends, supporting Congressional testimonies, and other program needs
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
Master's degree in international development, economics, international affairs or political science required. Strong academic record. Minimum of two years of work experience in research support and quantitative data analysis. Experience working with governmental and NGOs, and in project management and event coordination a plus . Qualitative research experience, and expertise in Africa also preferred.
Ability to conduct solid econometrics work independently, knowledge of STATA and/or related econometric packages, ability to handle large datasets is required. Must have strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly PowerPoint. Proficiency in SAS, STATA, SPSS, and related econometric packages required.
Strong verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to multi-task, work well under pressure, meet multiple deadlines with accuracy and precision, be extremely organized and detail-oriented. Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and high level of comfort working with high-profile individuals from government/NGO/international sectors. Cooperative attitude and flexibility; must be a team player.
Knowledge of international development issues required, demonstrated interest in African economic and development issues preferred. Proficiency in French is preferred.
Must be currently authorized to work for any employer in the U.S.
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply.
Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply