As a Chess Teacher at Bold Charter School, you will ensure that every student experiences a learning environment that cultivates a love of chess, builds creative problem-solving and flexible thinking skills, and instills values of respect, team, and passion. You will model and inspire a love of learning that will equip each student to succeed in school and thrive in life. You will be part of a results-oriented and collaborative team of professionals who are relentless in their pursuit of educational excellence. You will receive regular coaching and feedback, and will have opportunities to grow into a master teacher and transformative leader within the organization.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Building a classroom culture in which students develop a love for chess, and build critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Build and implement a rigorous chess curriculum to students that begins with chess basics and progresses to checkmate patterns and tactics;
- Coaching and developing a high-performing team of students who compete in city, state, and national chess tournaments;
- Investing parents by coordinating and leading family chess nights;
- Modeling Bold’s core values and building a positive student and team culture across the school;
- Training with colleagues and school leaders, which includes regularly implementing feedback with grace and urgency in service of student achievement, a values-based school culture, and a positive, professional work environment;
- Developing strong relationships with families and students, including regular communication that creates high levels of investment in school culture and academics; and
- Demonstrating a mission-first mindset to ensure all decisions and actions are rooted in ensuring that all students excel.
Successful candidates should:
- Be passionate about chess and learning;
- Be a person of high moral character;
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to and alignment with the mission, beliefs, and values of Bold;
- Have an advanced understanding of the game of chess, and has tournament experience;
- Have teaching experience with a record of propelling student’s understanding and love of chess;
- Hold an unwavering belief in the potential that all students can learn paired with an unshakeable conviction to ensure all students will learn;
- Have the ability to work within a fast-paced and dynamic team environment where responsibility for student success is shared and owned by everyone;
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree with an outstanding record of achievement.
The commitment for this position begins August 2021.
Compensation for this position is extremely competitive and commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Bold Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.