Director of Development
- Job posted by Boston Youth Sanctuary
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
About Us and Our Philosophy:
Boston Youth Sanctuary (BYS) is a one-of-a-kind therapeutic after-school program for youth ages 6-11 who have experienced traumatic events or circumstances in their lives. We work with children and families from the Boston community providing clinical and case management services designed to improve youths' functioning in home, community and academic settings by addressing the needs of children by providing wrap-around services to them and their families in one centralized location.
We are a community-based organization in the truest sense of the word. Our program was developed based on the identified needs of the community, continues to be responsive to the evolving needs of the community, and maintains the needs and experiences of our clients at the very core of our work. Led by a diverse team of talented professionals, we work like a family to support our families.
Please visit bostonyouthsanctuary.org for more information about our organization, program, and team.
Boston Youth Sanctuary celebrates the diversity of our nation and community, and we seek to build a team that reflects that diversity. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share that same vision, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission. We encourage individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position,
and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
We are seeking an outstanding Director of Development to help build Boston Youth Sanctuary's fundraising capabilities in support of growth to serve more students and families. The Director of Development will set the developed strategy for the organization and will work collaboratively with the Executive Director, Board, and staff team to execute against that strategy. In addition, the Director of Development will build the systems and processes necessary to support a robust development function and ensure that departmental goals are met.
In this role, you will be asked to:
- Work with the Executive Director to create a long-term development strategy that will support the work and growth of the organization and translate that long-term plan into annual, quarterly and monthly plans in order to deliver on development goals
- Participate in and/or lead all aspects of the gift cycle to identify, qualify, cultivate and solicit individual, corporate and foundation donors and prospects
- Manage the department budget, closely monitoring and reporting to the Executive Director and Board on outcomes for revenue and expense goals
- Consistently improve systems and tactics to deliver as efficiently as possible on the Development plan
- Collect data as needed for reports to funders and the Board
- Develop and implement major gifts solicitation, donor retention, and donor growth strategies
- Create strong systems for managing relationships with prospects and supporters, and ensuring customized communication and follow-up involving donor visitation, tours, direct mail, phone, email, and internet
- Research, write and track grants
As the incoming Director of Development, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You are hard-working, organized, and detail-oriented, with at least 5 years of professional experience, preferably in the development field
- You demonstrate a strong connection to mission and vision of BYS; you view the development function as a service to the programmatic work of the organization and you seek to understand the needs of the community in order to tell the organization's story in a culturally appropriate way
- You have excellent people-skills that translate to all of BYS's different stakeholders (youth, staff, board, donors, volunteers) combined with outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Your work is based in a commitment to understanding and communicating effectively across cultural backgrounds, with a deep sense of value and respect for different personal and life experiences
- You bring the ability to move seamlessly between strategic and creative thinking and tactical implementation
- You exhibit common sense and are able to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- You bring a positive approach, can-do attitude, sense of humor, and grace under pressure and the ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, discretion, and professional judgment
- You have a schedule that allows some flexibility to work evenings and weekends as required to meet with donors
- You have a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and a comfort with technology
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required
How to Join Our Team:
Please upload a resume and a thoughtful and targeted cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Jana Karp, Executive Director, at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/2065
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Minimum Education Required