- Job posted by Pew Research Center
Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; religion and public life; Hispanic trends; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. Pew Research Center's work is carried out by a staff of 160.
- Answer and screen the executive team's telephone calls from a variety of outside parties with professionalism, diplomacy, sound judgment and responsiveness.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with all of the senior leadership team's constituencies.
- Evaluate and distribute all of the executive team's incoming correspondence and prioritize for the executive team's review. As part of this preparation, provide relevant previous correspondence and related documents, if applicable, and make helpful notations on mail (e.g. availability for invitations, prior history).
- Assist the executive team with preparing memos and letters, including editing and proofreading documents, and formatting and distributing meeting agendas.
- Receive and review all requests for the executive team's time.
- Manage the executive team's calendar and commitments to ensure the executive team's time is used in the most efficient and effective manner while running as seamlessly as possible.
- Oversee the executive team's travel with a careful eye towards the preparation of a detailed itinerary, ticketing and logistical arrangements.
- Identify and track important upcoming events on the executive team's calendar to ensure sufficient time to prepare background materials.
- Coordinate with the chief of staff to prepare, as requested, briefing materials, relevant documents and background information for the president's meetings.
- Coordinate all staff and leadership team meetings.
- With a sharp sense of detail, prepare and follow up on all expense reports and reimbursement requests for the executive team in a timely manner.
- Prepare third-party reimbursements and payment requests.
Board of Directors:
- Arrange travel, hotel accommodations, etc. for Board members
- Process Board member travel and expense reimbursements
- Coordinate Center Board meeting including but not limited to: reserving conference rooms, arranging catering and coordinating with Office Services and IT
- Off-site planning and contracting for Board events
- Schedule Board meetings, Executive Committee meetings and any advance preparation or other calls with and for Board members.
- On-site support for Board, Center President and Board Officers
- Maintain the highest level of professional decorum while dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Meet the professional standards held by the organization while interacting with both internal and external parties.
- Develop and manage the executive team's paper and online filing system, ensuring that key correspondence and materials are easily accessible.
- Assist in maintaining task lists.
- Meet with research directors, office services, and human resources to update administrative manual.
- Identify other opportunities to improve work flow and task management for the executive team.
- Sit on the workplace advisory committee and act as fire marshal for your department.
- Ensure that the Administrative Coordinators are adequately trained and prepared to support their assigned teams.
- In conjunction with managing directors, mentor administrative team members, and assist with their professional development.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Self-disciplined to proactively resolve issues, anticipate needs and meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills including strong sense of urgency to set priorities, juggle multiple tasks, organize time effectively, conduct research, and identify resources for projects in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Works well under pressure.
- Skilled at coordinating complex meetings and travel arrangements.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, including proofreading and editing.
- Ability to tactfully manage internal and external relationships, and communicate in a clear, direct and diplomatic style, handling sensitive situations and complex tasks discreetly, effectively and efficiently.
- Maintains a customer service demeanor at all times, being responsive to requests and providing high quality service. Be available, as necessary, outside of normal business hours.
- Demonstrates sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential information, as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a professional manner. Makes appropriate decisions and exercises sound judgment on the need to elevate decisions to senior management.
- Ability to understand organizational structure and to work through administrative systems, both as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Ability to resolve problems creatively and logically, applying expertise and experience to solve problems and detect underlying issues in complex situations.
- Ability to display a sophisticated understanding of the senior leadership team's priorities and needs.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Minimum seven years administrative or secretarial experience required, including experience supporting executive management in an organization.
- Experience in several types of office environments preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Teams and Outlook).
- Workday and/or PeopleSoft experience preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Due to the volume of applications received, applicants will be notified only if they are selected for interviews.
Pew Research Center is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Minimum Education Required