1211 Connecticut Avenue NW
Supervising Attorney for a Civil Right Non-for-Profit
Company: Palmer Legal Staffing
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full Time- Direct Hire
About us: Looking toward your future and considering your next career move? Palmer is a full-service recruiting agency, offering direct hire, temp-to-hire, and temporary positions. You are more than a “number” to us. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and help match you to your dream job. Palmer represent over 500 law firms and legal departments. Learn more about our candidates experiences by visiting our Google Reviews and see how we have helped other candidates get placed. We look forward to getting to know you!
Job Description: Fast growing civil rights non-profit is searching for an experienced Supervising Attorney to work closely with our Director of Litigation and a growing team of exceptional attorneys and investigators. This is a new, full-time position in Washington, DC, that offers the chance to help build our organization at a time of growth and innovation. You will supervise an ambitious docket and help to shape a body of work that directly challenges the brutality of our criminal system.
The Supervising Attorney will supervise and engage in impact litigation and advocacy. The Supervising Attorney reports to the Director of Litigation.
Specific job responsibilities include:
• Close partner to the Director of Litigation in the development of strategies and case priorities;
• Supervise specific cases; responsible for approving major strategic decisions within cases, in consultation with the Director of Litigation as appropriate;
• Oversee litigation teams and the preparation of pleadings, motions, and briefs and discovery. Cases are staffed by teams of attorneys, investigators and fellows;
• Advocate in court
• Develop skills of more junior attorneys.
Training and Supervision
• Serve as personnel supervisor to two or more staff attorneys (in addition to supervising individual cases); and
• Work with the Director of Litigation to arrange, conduct and guide training as needed.
Policy and Advocacy
• Partner with the Director of Litigation to anticipate and identify instances where advocacy and public education are necessary;
• Coordinate strategy and work plans with other departments;
Qualifications: The ideal candidate has demonstrated a commitment to the mission. This includes an unwillingness to accept things as they are, and a collaborative approach that solicits and incorporates perspectives of colleagues, clients, and partners.
• J.D. degree and a member in good standing of the bar of a U.S. state;
• 10 years litigation experience. Exceptions may be made for those with significant experience serving as lead;
• Experience directly representing clients and significant courtroom litigation experience;
• Demonstrated excellence in oral and written advocacy, investigation and development of cases, and public speaking skills;
• Experience in both civil and criminal cases; work in civil rights litigation and with those directly impacted by the criminal system is preferred;
• Ability to understand and navigate issues of identity, power, and privilege with clients, partners and colleagues; and
• Demonstrated commitment to training, mentoring and advancing more junior attorneys.
How to apply: Please respond with your resume for consideration. Resumes that do not have RECENT and RELEVANT experience will not be considered.
Learn more about Palmer Staffing by visiting out Google Review’s and see how we’ve helped other candidates get placed! Visit our website at http://www.palmerlegalstaffing.com/ and see more positions, connect with a recruiter, and find our Facebook & LinkedIn page.
Palmer Staffing would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. Palmer Staffing is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please respond to Stephanie Schliftman at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume for consideration. Resumes that do not have RECENT and RELEVANT experience will not be considered.