- Job posted by Brown University
Swearer Center, Brown University
Providence, Rhode Island
The Swearer Center is a community of scholars, students, practitioners, and community members that works together to build on community strengths and address community challenges. Our work engages all as co-learners, co-teachers, co-actors, and co-creators of knowledge and action. Through the creative capacities of our students, faculty, and community partners we explore, build and implement collaborative and strategic projects, programs and initiatives. Our work yields transformative learning, and positive sustainable change, through collective action.
In line with our mission, the Swearer Center is hiring a Communications Coordinator. This position provides project management support and high-level coordination of outwardly-facing communication and events associated with the Center to ensure consistency in messaging and branding. The position coordinates the look and feel and promotion for major Center events (Swearer Engagement Fair, Info Sessions, Campus Fairs, Commencement events, Family Weekend activities, donors events, etc.), through direct support and creation and coordination of consistent event-planning processes. The Coordinator provides copy and marketing support (social media, website, newsletter, print materials, copy editing) and works on communications platforms such as MailChimp, Canva and social media scheduling systems such as HootSuite. The Coordinator serves as a liaison with internal and external constituents (Brown Graphic Services, contractors, and vendors). The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, resourceful, organized, efficient, proactive, and self-motivated.
· Marketing and Copy Support
· Assisting the Assistant Director of Communications with routine updates on Center website and related websites.
· Creating and managing a process to ensure that all upcoming Center events are entered into Swearer calendars, Brown Events, BrownEngage (GivePulse), and other relevant calendars.
· Drafting and scheduling drafted social media posts (like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Loomly, and HootSuite ).
· Compiling, copy editing, fact checking, and link checking all e-newsletters and print materials.
· Coordination and Promotion for Major Center Events
· Preparation work prior to the event (invitation and RSVP management; assist with venue, food, facility, and A/V selection) and work on the day of the event (registration, photography, material distribution, etc.).
· Assisting with marketing and promotion of events to increase visibility among students, alumni, community members, and external visitors, etc.
· Maintaining event cost record and working within approved budgets.
· Developing and maintaining standardized guidelines, templates, and processes for event planning at the Center which ensure consistency across Center events (i.e. events checklists, cue-to-cues, guides, etc.).
· Assisting to create a consistent and effective “look-and-feel” and branding for the Center at all events.
· Project Support and Center- and Campus-wide Responsibilities
· Accessing, reserving, and maintaining equipment;
· Coordinating print and digital materials, including annual reports, electronic and print journals, program- and event-specific print materials, etc.
· Researching and ordering marketing materials (including Swearer gear, stationery, etc);
· Being main point of contact for ordering materials through Brown Graphic Services and external vendors.
· Collaborate with the overall staff on Center-wide strategy and initiatives and work to integrate his/her activities with broader Swearer Center goals and programs.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree with 1-2 years related experience (preferably in an marketing or communications setting) or equivalent combination of education/experience
· Job Competencies
· High level of oral and written communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to elicit and communicate information in a clear, informative and concise manner.
· Strong organizational, administrative and time-management skills, plus meticulous attention to detail.
· Initiative and judgment to independently problem solve and prioritize in a pressured environment; Ability to manage multiple tasks with competing priorities.
· Ability to work independently as well as part of a collaborative team.
· Excellent computer skills in word processing, email applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Google environment, mail), and spreadsheet/database management (including contact and education management databases like GivePulse and Salesforce).
· Ability to work nights and weekends and other flexible hours, as needed.
· Experience with website maintenance (Drupal) and social media (like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Loomly, and ) strongly preferred.
· Experience and skills in web, digital, and/or print design (Canva), newsletter platforms (MailChimp), photography/videography, and/or event planning a plus.
Please note: This is a 1-year fixed term position, with an end date of 1-year from hire, with the possibility of an extension on funding.
To View More Details and To Apply, please use this link to the position on Brown’s Career Site:
Applicants are required to use the Brown Career Site to apply for the position and to submit their resume, cover letter and any related documents. Please check the status of your application through the account you create when you apply.
All offers of employment are contingent upon consent to criminal background screening check and education verification with results satisfactory to Brown.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
About Brown (Please visit our website and get to know us better at: www.brown.edu)
Located in historic Providence, Rhode Island and founded in 1764, Brown University is the seventh-oldest college in the United States. Brown is an independent, coeducational Ivy League institution comprising undergraduate and graduate programs, plus the Alpert Medical School, School of Public Health, School of Engineering, and the School of Professional Studies.
With its talented and motivated student body and accomplished faculty, Brown is a leading research university that maintains a particular commitment to exceptional undergraduate instruction. Brown’s vibrant, diverse campus community consists of about 4,500 staff and faculty, 6,200 undergraduates, 2,000 graduate students, 490 medical school students, more than 5,000 summer, visiting, and online students, and over 700 faculty members. Brown students come from all 50 states and more than 115 countries. Brown is frequently recognized for its global reach, many cultural events, numerous campus groups and activities, active community service programs, highly competitive athletics, and beautiful facilities located in a richly historic urban setting.
Brown offers competitive benefits such as a generous retirement plan and education programs; details are available at: http://www.brown.edu/about/administration/human-resources/
Minimum Education Required