Vice President of Team & Talent Development
- Job posted by New Hope Community
New Hope Community is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities in residentially based settings. Located on a sprawling campus in Loch Sheldrake, NY (Sullivan County), New Hope Community, a CQL-accredited agency, is home to over 240 individuals between its campus and off-site residences.
New Hope Community’s residential program provides a wide array of living options, ranging from a campus setting to integrated housing in traditional neighborhoods in the community. The housing staff provides individualized supports, including personal care, clinical support, recreational activities, and social development.
In addition to housing, New Hope Community provides a variety of other programs and services. The day habilitation programs include on-campus and off-campus classes in technology, fine arts, athletics, gardening, horseback riding, which promotes educational experience within the greater Sullivan County and Hudson Valley community. For over 40 years, New Hope Community’s commitment to investing in its facilities and programs has made it a premier point of support for the population it serves.
As New Hope Community looks towards the future, its visionary driven strategic priorities include: ensuring optimal campus utilization; ensuring best practices related to program development including aging-in-place programs; establishing itself as a best-place-to-live for the residents and a best-place-to-work for professionals and being a human services sector convener of ideas and innovation to serve those with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
New Hope Community operates with a budget in excess of $40M and 650 FTE’s. To learn more please visit www.newhopecommunity.org
New Hope Community is located in the Catskills, a large region in the southeastern portion of New York State. New Hope is 95 miles southwest of Albany, NY and 100 miles north of New York City. The area boasts many outdoor sports and family activities, as well as many cultural and musical events, often located at the world renowned Bethel Woods Center for the Arts—and, presently under-construction, a new family destination center consisting of an all year-round waterpark, world class golf course and spa. The community has long been attractive to those seeking to indulge their love of the outdoors while still being an easy drive from New York City.
New Hope Community is deeply committed to creating an organizational culture that recruits the best possible talent and provides ongoing support systems to ensure that its entire staff is highly trained, motivated, and dedicated to helping those living with disabilities. To better address this commitment, the organization has created the new position of Vice President for Team and Talent Development.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Vice President serves as the senior human resource professional for the organization. S/he will be responsible for staff recruitment and retention, training and staff development in collaboration with other departments, setting of KPIs for staff evaluation; organization-wide coordination and collaboration with departments engaged in various staff training programs; employee performance management; compensation and benefits design and administration; organizational and management development, including change management; employment law; employee relations and activities; human resource information systems; and HR policy development and administration.
Moving away from primarily operating in a “transactional” mode, the Vice President for Team and Talent Development is tasked with ensuring the department is a model that includes strategic, consistent, current and compliance-driven processes, best practices and policies that effectively fulfill the current and evolving needs of New Hope Community. S/he must align its people, processes, and policies with NHC’s values and culture in order to create a learning organization committed to employee growth and continued organization development.
This position will provide a special opportunity for an experienced and creative human resources professional to develop new team building initiatives that impact every level of staff within the organization. Integral to the success of the new Vice President is the ability to develop these initiatives within a long-term strategic framework so that impact is measurable and repeatable.
Working with the members of the senior management team, the Vice President will also ensure that performance management review and feedback systems are in place at every level of the organization.
The Vice President for Team and Talent Development will dedicate his/her efforts to continually improve internal processes and procedures while ensuring organizational compliance with local, State and Federal laws and regulations.
In addition to overseeing the HR Department and supported staffing, the Vice President for Talent and Team Development must collaborate effectively with New Hope Community’s Training Department.
- Leads the talent acquisition, development, retention and administrative functions of the Human Resources department. However, the long-term strategic needs of the organization requires that a major priority for the Vice President will be focused on the creation of well-developed staff retention and development programs throught the organization.
- Creates a strategic organization-wide human resource plan that takes into account the projected needs/challenges of a growing organization and develops corresponding programs that ensures, in collaboration and coordination with appropriate departments, effective staff recruitment, training, and retention.
- Assesses current processes and procedures and develops recommendations for implementation and use of metrics and analytics to assess status, progress and areas for improvement in turnover, recruitment, promotion, performance, diversity, etc.
- Working closely with the Director of Human Resources, oversee a recruitment process that minimizes staffing disruptions and consistently identifies and secures talented individuals committed to the organization's mission and core values.
- Develops and oversees a robust onboarding program that successfully integrates new employees into New Hope Community’s mission and its operations.
- Working collaboratively, design, evaluate, and implement via various departments (Team & Talent Development, Training Department, etc.) a comprehensive staff learning and development curriculum for every level within the organization.
- Serve as a thoughtful, creative and bold leader in strategically developing the company's compensation structure, striving to strike a balance of market-responsiveness and cost-effectiveness and proactively making recommendations for improvement.
- Understanding the need to recruit and retain valuable staff at all levels, the Vice President must continually examine and develop new employee benefits program offerings in order to be proactively responsive to evolving staff needs.
- Review and enhance the company's performance appraisal process, ensuring the fair and timely evaluation of all staff as well as the integration of the staff evaluation process with division work plans, the company's strategic plan, and its compensation structure.
- Play a major role in providing counsul to supervisors and members of management in handling difficult employee situations and in establishing employee improvement programs to remedy performance deficiencies.
- In collaboration with other team leaders, develops and maintains an internal communication vehicle whereby all staff are made aware of employee benefits, training programs, and advancement opportunities; and disseminates individual, team, and organizational successes in order to strengthen morale and unity of purpose.
- Guides the organization's employee relations function, including employee discipline. Ensures best practices for the employee separation process, including terminations, exit interviews, and transition issues.
- Directs the preparation and maintenance of effective reporting so as to track the performance of the department and its functions. Prepares periodic reports as necessary or requested.
- General knowledge of Federal, State and local regulations and HR best practices and recommends appropriate changes in company policy or procedures.
- Selects, manages, and develops a team of human resource professionals.
- Implements organization climate surveys and creates action plans related to results to lead New Hope Community to be an Employer of Choice.
- Ensures that the organization's Employee Handbook and other policies and procedures manuals are updated.
- Personal “gravitas” or presence.
- Ten years of directly related experience, gained through increasingly responsible management positions within Human Resources, including at least 7 years at the director level.
- Proven track record of building innovative human resources programs and of integrating human resource systems with business goals.
- Specialized knowledge and experience in leading the transformation of Human Resources functions with a minimum of 100 employees in multiple locations.
- A participatory management and leadership style that encourages collaboration, cooperation and personal growth.
- Creative and strategic thinker with a flexible approach to re-thinking issues and shifting positions, when necessary.
- Proven excellent project management skills with the ability to coordinate, prioritize, and balance multiple tasks in a time-sensitive, fluid environment.
- A strong leader able to take ownership of their department and area of expertise.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated independent judgment, high emotional intelligence, and problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor's degree in related field.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of payroll systems, report writing using database/software (i.e. Cognos, Crystal Report Writer) and related HR management systems.
Minimum Education Required