Communications & Digital Media Assistant
- Job posted by Sanctuary for Families
Sanctuary for Families is New York's leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services. We provide a range of wrap-around services to help survivors rebuild their lives in the aftermath of abuse, and work to end gender violence through three key strategies: direct services, outreach and training, and systems-change advocacy. Our services are available in 11 locations throughout New York City.
We are looking for a creative and conscientious Communications & Digital Media Assistant to join our growing Development & Communications team. This new position will report directly to the Manager of Communications & Outreach and will support the outreach, marketing, and communications functions central to Sanctuary's efforts to elevate our visibility, share stories with donors, and engage new supporters in our work.
Specifically, the Communications & Digital Media Assistant will be responsible for creating the day-to-day content for the organization's social media channels and website; developing and executing digital campaigns that support Sanctuary's fundraising, advocacy and outreach priorities; and supporting Sanctuary's general communications needs.
- Manage existing social media channels including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and build Sanctuary's presence on new platforms such as LinkedIn.
- Apply data analytics to measure and evaluate success of social media strategy.
- Create strategies for increasing audience engagement via social media platforms and leveraging the power of existing followers.
- Support advocacy and fundraising efforts by developing compelling campaigns and maintaining consistent messaging across social media platforms.
Digital Content and Website
- Develop creative web, social, and blog content that supports broader communications and programmatic goals.
- Write and edit web content and blog posts utilizing Wordpress CMS.
- Create graphics utilizing Canva, Piktochart, and other design programs.
- Track and record all press coverage of Sanctuary for Families.
- Assist with coordination and support staff and clients taking part in media interviews.
- Propose ideas for story pitches.
Marketing and Outreach
- Create, update and distribute information packets.
- Manage tracking, ordering, and distribution of all marketing and outreach materials including print pieces and communications supplies.
- Develop powerpoints and similar presentation materials to support senior staff participating in presentations, trainings and related efforts.
- Provide support to staff members, including social workers and attorneys, who conduct outreach in communities throughout New York City.
- Attend department meetings to connect with and hear from direct service staff, in order to better meet their needs in terms of outreach and communications.
- Develop ideas for new outreach materials and coordinate with staff and graphic designers to produce new items as needed.
- Ensure quality and branding are maintained across all outreach items produced.
- Collaborate in creating and implementing agency-wide communications strategy.
- Supervise volunteers and interns from time to time when appropriate.
- Attend fundraisers, cultivation events, community outreach efforts and media events as needed.
- Perform any other related duties or special projects as directed by the Manager of Communications & Digital Media.
- Bachelor's degree, with 0-2 years experience in communications and/or nonprofit development.
- Outstanding writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of social media marketing; experience is highly preferred.
- Love of social media and eagerness to strategize around digital engagement.
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent computer and tech skills, including Powerpoint; experience with Adobe design software a plus.
- Strong eye for graphic design, color, and fonts.
- Experience with CRM systems (Luminate, Convio, Blackbaud etc.) and CMS systems (WordPress, Drupal) a plus.
- A self–starter who takes initiative and who works well both independently and as a team member.
- Enthusiasm for intersectional feminism and social justice issues.
- Strong commitment to the mission and goals of Sanctuary for Families.
- Spanish-speaking a plus.
Applicants must include cover letters before submitting to be considered for the role.
Minimum Education Required