Finance and Administration Manager
- Job posted by 1755
Details: $1 / Hourly Wage
The Finance and Administration Manager is a member of the Office of Financial Planning and Management (OFPM)* and reports to the Director of Finance, Institutional Initiatives and Press. This position will be responsible for a broad range of administration, budget, accounting, and financial management for a portfolio of programs including but not limited to Institutional Initiatives, Communications and Development. Institutional initiatives houses cross-program initiatives such as, Inter-collaborative Initiatives, Foreign Offices, All Brookings Priorities etc. This position will have a primary focus on supporting the administration and financial management for the Brookings Doha Center, Brookings Tsinghua Center and Brookings India Center.
*The Office of Financial Planning and Management (OFPM) is responsible for preparing and executing against the annual institutional operating and capital budgets as well as long-range financial modeling for the Brookings Institution. OFPM is also responsible for financial management of Institutional Initiatives (Cross-Collaborative Initiatives, and Foreign Centers - India, Doha and Beijing) and all Business Units (Communications, Development, Operations and the Brookings Press), working as a strategic partner with the directors of those programs. OFPM also leads all Office of Financial Services (OFS) activities supporting planning, development, implementation, training and post go-live activities of the Institution's financial systems, processes and policies.
Budget Administration (35%)
- Forecasts expenditures; keeps Director of Finance aware of potential problem areas or opportunities; monitors and oversees project charges and expenditures on a monthly basis; oversees correction of inaccuracies.
- Directs the preparation of project budget materials for regular project reviews and meetings; prepares annual and quarterly program budget submission for consolidation into Institutional Initiatives budget and for submission to OFPM.
- In coordination with the Director of Finance, prepares financial data and charts for the Institution's financial dashboard or any other analysis as requested.
- Reviews monthly check logs and supporting documents for Brookings Doha Center and Brookings India Center.
- Reviews quarterly wire transfer requests from the Brookings Tsinghua Center.
- Prepares budgets, reviews proposals, circulates information, and communicates with appropriate staff on fundraising proposals for assigned portfolio.
- In collaboration with development staff and project scholars, creates and/or modifies budgets and narratives per funder requests; maintains involvement in proposal process from idea to inception; coordinates proposal subcomponents with other institutions as needed.
Purchasing & Contract Management (30%)
- Prepares and approves expenditure documentation including cash advance requests, check requests, purchase orders, contract payments, and reimbursement invoices.
- Prepares and approves travel expense reports for employees and non-employees. Ensures that paperwork complies with the Brooking Institution's travel policy, in addition to, following-up on questionable items as necessary.
- Works to problem-solve expense issues that arise; initiates correction of expenditures recorded incorrectly; produces Journal Entry vouchers
- Coordinates review of all monthly program-wide internal, including facilities charges, guest charges, ITS surcharges, conference services and cell phone bills; and makes corrections as needed.
- Reconciles and reviews procurement card transactions.
- Tracks contract payment terms and licenses for the Communications department.
Administrative Support (25%)
- Assists with writing, reviewing, and managing contracts.
- Maintains electronic budget files, reviewing regularly for organization and archiving as necessary.
- Serves as an IT liaison for the foreign centers to ensure financial team understanding of ITS charges and processes.
- Participates in bi-weekly calls for Brookings Doha Center and Brookings India Center; joins calls with Brookings Tsinghua calls as needed.
- Supports OFPM as needed.
Grants, Funding, and Award Management (10%)
- Prepares and reviews budgets for funding proposals; works as needed with budget staff in other programs.
- Monitors spending rates on monthly basis, including labor charges and non-labor expenses; provides regular financial reports to project directors, Director of Finance, and other Brookings departments as required.
- Coordinates with relevant development, accounting, and grants administration staff to ensure high quality grant and award management process; requests, approves, and distributes financial reports from Accounting.
- Reviews expenses monthly before closing, prepares reallocations and modifications.
- Oversees revenue recognition and compliance with grant terms for assigned portfolio; coordinates with Grant Administrator to allocate revenue and administer grants.
- Works with development staff on reporting deadlines and any other needed post-award communication; determines reprogramming requirements and extension requests; works closely with relevant staff on reporting and audit issues.
- Requests new project numbers, summary project numbers, departments, and activities from Grants Administration, as needed.
- Updates fund distribution rules for Grants, as needed.
- Coordinates with Development to maintain accounts receivable, grant milestones, and other administrative information sharing between the departments.
- Assists with workflow review process for proposals and grants.
Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field. Minimum three years of relevant work experience, two of which are in developing and successfully managing a budget of similar size required. Must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. Some business courses preferred. Some background in a research, academic, or non-profit setting is preferred. Experience with financial management of foreign offices a plus.
High level of attention to detail required; strong administrative and organizational skills; excellent communication skills required; knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required; advanced Excel skills PeopleSoft knowledge a plus. Budget experience and/or familiarity with budgeting or accounting software required. Solid knowledge of budgets and accounting principles; must have a strong understanding of GAPP and fund accounting as well as a strong understanding of how business transactions are recorded into the financial records of an organization. Ability to organize, analyze, present and communicate financial data. Must be a mature, self-motivated, team player who gets along well with a variety of personality-types and can work independently. Must be flexible and capable of working in a fast-paced environment with shifting and competing priorities. Extreme honesty and discretion required, with the ability to appropriately handle confidential information.
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply.
Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.
Brookings is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law.
Minimum Education Required