The Osborne Association serves individuals, families, and communities affected by the criminal justice system. Through our programs, we offer opportunities for people to heal from and repair harm, restore their lives, and thrive. We challenge systems rooted in racism and retribution and fight for policies and practices that promote true safety, justice, and liberation.
At Osborne, we are guided by core values and shared beliefs. We honor everyone's capacity to change, celebrate our shared humanity, are united in our pursuit of justice and equity, take all possible steps to keep our commitments and advocate for people and principles with fierce and tenacious determination.
We are seeking a Communication Specialist to lead communication activities related to New York City's Test & Trace (T2) campaign, and amplify the advocacy positions of Osborne's Center for Justice Across Generations (the Policy Center). in addition, the Communication Specialist will complete other duties as assigned to include (but are not limited to) regular, strategic social media posting, the production of internal and public-facing digital assets, the collection of participant stories, and tracking of said activities. This position is responsible for supporting smooth day-to-day operations in communications/media relations and is the primary point of contact for regular interaction with outreach campaigns teams. The Communication Specialist will partner with the Communications Manager to provide metrics and reporting, strategic planning, and draft systems and protocols.
This position will follow a Monday - Friday 9 am to 5 pm schedule, with little flexibility, and is subject to change according to the needs of the program.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Communications Specialist will be accountable for the following responsibilities within the Communications Department and Policy Center:
Test & Trace Campaign Responsibilities
- Curate content related to T2 outreach campaigns for all Osborne's social media and online presence, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts, including scheduling, metrics and reporting, and planning.
- Liaise with the T2 outreach team to gather updates and photos from recent outreach activities & events.
- Maintain an internal content management tool (Asana) that ensures the strategic and timely preparation and distribution of outreach campaigns T2 materials and communications.
- Compose and distribute bi-weekly emails from the T2 campaign to recipients making them aware of testing and vaccination opportunities in New York City.
- Complete weekly reports on activities that are shared with the T2 Assistant Project Managers.
The Policy Center Responsibilities
- Regularly liaise with the Policy Center to identify upcoming events and advocacy priorities and plan social media content to amplify their work.
- Assist the Policy Center with content creation and dissemination of the Center's priorities on Osborne's digital channels, including the NYCIP Facebook page.
- Identify and assist in the creation & update of Policy Center materials, such as twice-annual policy priority documents, policy briefs, and/or legislative one-pagers.
- Update and share a monthly "OCJAG calendar" (distributed both internally and externally) that includes events and opportunities related to criminal justice reform in and around New York State.
- Contribute to the planning of, and dissemination of social media posts for, the Policy Center's annual, national month of awareness, See Us Support Us.
- As assigned, document Policy Center events, with photography, story write-up, social media posts, website posts, and preparation of graduates for speaking.
- Coordination of See Us Support Us website digital assets during the yearly event with the Policy Center and consultant.
General Communications Responsibilities
- Work with the Communications Manager to collect and create content for social media platforms
- Help manage the project management system (Asana) for social media posting
- Coordinate the production and sharing of Meet Osborne Monday, the semi-regular live interview between Osborne staff shared on social media.
- Contribute to the planning of annual organization-wide fundraising efforts, including Lighting the Way and the winter Annual Appeal.
- Oversee the maintenance of Osborne's library of digital assets and provide logos, images, and to agency staff and partners.
- Maintain the digital assets collection, including program materials, videos, logos, presentations, and photography.
- As assigned, document internal events within Osborne, with photography, story write-up, social media posts, website posts, and preparation of graduates for speaking.
- In collaboration with the Communications Manager, collect, draft and edit external communications content, including web content, social media posts, emails, and invitations.
- In collaboration with the Communications Manager, liaise with program staff to identify potential participant profiles, events, and other stories that reflect Osborne's impact to share with our external audiences.
- Edit and design internal and external digital assets using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and appropriate production support software.
- May be required to occasionally instruct or assist other employees or volunteers in performing departmental tasks.
- Other tasks relevant to department goals, as assigned by the Communications Manager.
- High School or Bachelor's degree, with experience in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, or experience in a related field.
- In lieu of a High School or Bachelor's degree, the candidate must demonstrate comparable experience in the communications field.
- Two to four years of directly related experience with progressive responsibility.
- Candidates should have demonstrated success implementing social media campaigns and managing communications content management systems.
Related Skills or Knowledge:
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills, including proofreading and editing expertise; solid creative writing skills; project management skills;
- Mac and PC computer proficiency emphasizing Adobe Creative Cloud print and online production; comfort with content management systems;
- Must have knowledge of the media and media placements, and an understanding of the criminal justice system.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Must be a team player and able to work with staff across the organization; must be able to function effectively in a multi-task environment with an ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
Benefits of Working at Osborne:
Generous benefits including four weeks vacation, tuition reimbursement, flexible work schedule, excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance, and a 403(b) plan with a company match. Career development through ongoing training and individual development plans.
The Osborne Association is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, unemployment status, or any other protected category. The Osborne Association takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Thank you for your interest in the Osborne Association. Be sure to include a cover letter with your application. No phone calls please. We wish we could personally respond to each application. However, we are unable to do so due to the volume of interest received.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/ljZeXxsxXxYBfNGwfJxV8" />