Senior Vice President - Public Affairs
- Job posted by NYCEDC
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City's diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City's five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Public Affairs Department oversees all external messaging involving NYCEDC. In collaboration with the Mayor's office and every other department at NYCEDC, Public Affairs advances the City's economic development agenda by stewarding an overall organization-wide narrative while promoting NYCEDC projects and initiatives to media outlets, civic organizations, and the public at large. Public Affairs develops and implements a comprehensive communications strategy that increase NYCEDC's visibility and promote our agenda.
Your Role: The Senior Vice President (SVP), Public Affairs will serve as the architect of NYCEDC's press and media strategy and will manage short and long-term communications initiatives across the full spectrum of NYCEDC's activities. This person will serve as the agency's chief spokesperson, overseeing daily interaction with the media, and working closely with the City Hall and agency communications staffs to pitch and place stories, as well as to stage press events. The SVP will manage staff responsible for media relations, crisis communications, speech writing, public appearances, and press releases on a wide array of subjects. Candidates must have experience managing a team, planning and executing a comprehensive communications strategy, proactively arranging media interviews and responding to urgent media requests
- Develop and execute a multi-faceted press strategy and proactively arrange pitches, media interviews and speaking opportunities to advance key messages to target audiences.
- Serve as the agency's chief spokesperson and work closely with City Hall communications staff to develop and oversee daily messages and interactions with the media.
- Develop strategies to influence public recognition and build a broader profile and reputation for the company
- Key executor of plans relating to media relations, crisis communications, and press releases on a wide array of subjects.
- Set operational standards, goals and strategic initiatives for the Public Affairs department.
- Enhance and build relationships internally with department managers and other senior staff, and externally with the press corps.
- Encourage and enhance cross-departmental communication and collaboration within the External Affairs division including the Marketing, and Government and Community Relations departments.
- Advise departments across NYCEDC on messaging in various public outreach instruments
- Supervise staff to develop and oversee daily messages, press releases, speeches and interaction with the media and to develop and execute a multi-faceted and proactive communications strategy.
- Determine hiring needs, recruits and selects employees. Delegate and assigns work as appropriate to employees' capabilities and NYCEDC needs.
- Ensure all employees are oriented to their position and provided with appropriate training and development and continuing education. Monitors performance, provides coaching and feedback on an ongoing basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strategic and analytical thinker, capable of seeing and understanding broad and differing perspectives
- Experience managing and coaching staff
- Ability to anticipate problems and devise creative solutions
- Comfort interacting with senior management, City Hall officials, business leaders and members of the media.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
- 6+ years professional experience in political campaign, media relations, journalism, public relations, and/or government agency-related work
- Demonstrated competencies in analytical, planning and problem-solving skills, negotiation, writing, team building and staff development, judgment and decision-making.
- Proven ability to lead, interact with and coordinate consistent messaging and relationships across diverse and mutidisciplinary internal departments, other city agencies and/or external partners.
- Track record of proactive and original media initiatives
- Ability to develop story angles and spot trends in the external environment
- Proven ability to lead and manage a team
- Experience managing direct reports, colleagues and/or consultants as assigned, short or long term as needed
- Displays confidence and leadership
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Strong media relations skills; including rapid response and crisis communications
- Creative, independent thinker with an inquisitive mind
- Strong research and analytical skills
- NYC residency is required within 180 days of starting the position
Preferred Qualifications: Displays confidence and leadership; Familiarity with the New York City press corps; Facility with social media; Demonstrable interest in public policy, urban affairs and public affairs; Master's Degree.
Minimum Education Required