President & CEO
- Job posted by Metrolina Association for the Blind
The Position: President & CEO
Metrolina Association for the Blind (MAB) seeks a dynamic, visionary leader to serve as its next President & CEO succeeding its long time director of 40 years, Bob Scheffel, who retires December 31, 2018 after building an organization that generates over $3.5 million annually and has touched thousands of lives. This position is responsible for increasing both revenue and people served to meet the growing needs of our community.
Founded in 1934 by a group of Charlotte area residents with the assistance of the American Foundation for the Blind and the Charlotte Lions Club, the agency has a history of enabling blind and visually impaired people to adjust to their vision loss and manage selected daily living activities independently through the provision of the direct services.
At a budget size of $3.6 million and 40 employees, MAB holds the position as one of the largest nonprofit organizations serving the visually impaired in the Carolinas. MAB’s business to business sales of Accessible Document Services provides significant funding for the Vision Rehabilitation Services. It operates nine lines of business through these two divisions.
Vision Rehabilitation Services (VRS):
These services help people who are blind and visually impaired learn techniques of daily living and ways to increase their independence. Rehabilitation specialists develop a personal relationship with clients in order to understand each person's unique needs and to implement a program tailored to the individual. The lines of business include:
- Case Management
- Vision Rehabilitation Therapy (daily living)
- Orientation and Mobility (travel training)
- Low Vision Services
- Support Services (such as an aids and appliances store, transportation, and individual counseling)
Through this division, Metrolina served 1,758 people as of the 2017-18 year end, or 19% of Charlotte’s population of the visually impaired, estimated to be 9,000 individuals. The ten year goal is to grow significantly the number of people served, to two – three times the current number today.
Accessible Document Services (ADS):
ADS is Metrolina’s Braille, Large Print, Audio CD, and Accessible PDF division and has three main lines of business:
- Statement Rendering Services: MAB services corporate clients monthly by transcribing their billing statements and custom documents into Braille, Large Print, Audio CD, and Accessible PDF.
- Additional Transcription Services: MAB transcribes other assorted items such as: insurance policies, annual reports, legal documents, employee orientation materials, voter ballots, menus, and personal letters.
- Textbook Mastering and Copy Services: MAB masters textbooks in Braille or Large Print.
In the last two years, Metrolina has completed strategic planning, a sustainability assessment, and succession planning – reviewing all aspects of its business. Near-term priorities from this work include:
- With regard to the 2016 strategic plan, review, and ensure awareness and buy in across the organization and that the staff is executing on key goal areas and objectives.
- Invest adequate resources in ADS to support proactive, robust business development efforts. Assess existing lines of business as well as explore new emerging technology to determine current and future viability.
- Strengthen MAB’s capacity to serve an increasing population in need of VRS services.
- Identify a long-term facility solution for MAB that provides adequate space for both ADS and VRS.
- Advance board development to continue to support and strengthen the board of directors
- Invest more significantly in the development of a contributed revenue strategy, including dedicated fundraising personnel and a comprehensive plan for annual, major gift, and special project fundraising.
The Leadership Opportunity
Metrolina is poised for a new generation of executive leadership. It seeks a chief executive who will grow the organization’s operations and carry out the organization’s new strategic priorities, outline new partners and collaborators, ensure financial sustainability, and coordinate the efforts of staff and board to execute its vision and strategy. There is broad consensus within the organization that MAB is in an ideal position to grow its impact and expand its leadership in both aspects of its business – Vision Rehabilitation Services and Accessible Document Services.
The President & CEO leads all business administrative functions and oversees the programs and operations. Additionally s/he is the principal relationship manager for all stakeholders and will serve as the face of the organization to all constituents (donors, community leaders, clients, partners, etc.) and the key relationship builder, securing diversified and increased financial resources, articulating the institution’s mission, and building awareness.
This individual is entering the life of Metrolina at a time of significant transition (with the long-time director stepping down) and great opportunity. The successful candidate will exhibit a strategic and visionary mindset and drive, outstanding communication skills, enthusiasm, and diplomacy.
Reporting to the board of directors, the President & CEO’s priorities for the next 12–18 months include (not necessarily in priority order):
- Comprehend the current business model and approach of Metrolina, learning the structure of the organization including an understanding of programs, clients, vital partners, and the landscape particular to the organization.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the organization’s financial structure and complexities, and develop projections, metrics, and reporting to monitor and ensure financial stability.
- Assess and ensure a cohesive, high functioning team, giving attention to and investing continued resources in team building, staff training, and leader development.
- Establish strong working relationships with the Board of Directors, staff, clients, donors, and partners.
- Leverage the Board’s influence and connections to build relationships and cultivate critical resources.
- Engage the Board of Directors and its committees in the stewardship of financial, operational, and resource generation initiatives.
- Develop a stronger presence and become the face of Metrolina to clients and the community.
- Review and execute on Metrolina’s strategic plan developed in 2016.
The President & CEO is the internal driver and external face of the organization, providing leadership of Metrolina and overseeing its day-to-day affairs. Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide visionary and strategic leadership and translate that vision into measurable strategies and concrete actions that advance the mission.
- Be the face of the organization to the local community, among current and prospective clients, and to key audiences at the state and national levels.
- Oversee the business operations of the organization and the leadership team responsible for the day-to-day operations.
- Aggressively pursue business development opportunities to ensure the continued ability to serve our community.
- Ensure that appropriate programs and services are provided that are consistent with priority needs and organization mission.
- Oversee the finances and ensure fiscal responsibility and security.
- Lead organization fundraising activities including annual and major gift development, grant writing, and special events.
- Develop, augment, and expand key relationships with stakeholders, donors, clients, key referral sources, and partner organizations.
- Promote competency, quality, and the highest ethical standards throughout the organization.
- Provide motivation and support to the Board of Directors and its committees, as well as report to the Board on the progress of the organization.
- Ensure that proper policies and infrastructure are in place to promote best practices for the mission, constituents, and volunteers.
- Direct human resources activities to accomplish organization goals and objectives through effective recruiting, hiring, evaluation, training, development, and retention strategies. Ensure that employee performance is in accordance with organization policies and procedures.
- Participate in professional activities in community, state, and national associations.
- Maintain an awareness of current developments and industry trends.
Experience and Attributes
Ideal candidates for this position will share Metrolina’s commitment to serving the blind or visually impaired population to help them overcome the challenges of vision loss. Qualified candidates must possess an undergraduate degree (graduate degree preferred), demonstrate a commitment to continued learning for both self and team, and bring a variety of experiences and attributes to the organization, including:
- At least 7 years of progressively increasing senior organization leadership experience.
- A strong financial understanding and management or oversight of a comparably sized budget and staff.
- A natural propensity toward strategically developing and growing an organization (versus sustaining), with a demonstrated track record of growth.
- Effectively leading and managing change, presenting the ability to set direction, gain alignment, and secure commitment of staff, board, and key stakeholders.
- A team-building, empowering leadership style with a track record of building and maintaining strong working relationships with internal (staff and Board) and external stakeholders, clients, donors, and community leaders.
- Relationship developer and sustainer – one who is able to quickly build rapport and trust, and maximizes relationships to continue and grow organization leadership and influence.
- Demonstrated experience in and proven track record generating both contributed revenue (including individual, corporate, and foundation giving) as well as earned revenue through business-to-business sales.
- Creative and innovative problem solving skills.
- High self-initiative with an ability to exercise prudent, collaborative decision-making and produce results.
- An understanding of image building, marketing, and external relations.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- An ability to recognize industry trends and keep the organization flexible and responsive to new ideas and opportunities.
- A consummate professional who is approachable and possesses a spirit of warmth, humility, and sincerity.
- An appreciation for and cultural fit with a vibrant North Carolina community.
Charlotte/Mecklenburg County Community
Charlotte is the most populous city in North Carolina, with a city population of 860,000 and broader metropolitan area population of 2.5 million.
Charlotte is home to the corporate headquarters of Bank of America and east coast operations of Wells Fargo, which along with other financial institutions made it the second largest banking center in the US from 1995 to 2017 and the third largest since 2017. It is home to six Fortune 500 companies including Bank of America, Lowe’s, Duke Energy, Nucor, Sonic Automotive, and Sealed Air Corp.
Among Charlotte’s notable attractions, some of the most popular include the NFL Carolina Panthers, the NBA Charlotte Hornets, and the AHL Charlotte Checkers. It is the major center in the US motorsports industry, with the area housing multiple offices of NASCAR, the NASCAR Hall of Fame, and Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Its vibrant arts and culture community is home to the Levine Museum of the New South, the Mint Museum, Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, and the Harvey B. Gantt Center for African American Arts and Culture, to name a few.
Between 2004 to 2014, Charlotte was ranked as the country’s fastest growing metro area, with nearly 900,000 new residents. It also tops the 50 largest cities as the millennial hub.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. To apply, send an email with a cover letter detailing qualifications, vitae/resume, and salary requirements to MAB@raffa.com (email applications are required). For questions, contact Jeanie Duncan, lead consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Communications will be treated with confidence and resumes will be accepted until position is filled; however, the active application period is now through October 31, 2018. Resume reviews begin immediately.
Metrolina Association for the Blind is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, or sexual orientation.