Senior Director, Alpha Workshops
- Job posted by The Jewish Board
The Jewish Board, serving more than 43,000 clients each year, is widely recognized as a best-in-class provider of human services. Read more about The Jewish Board here.
Alpha Workshops (Alpha) is a non-profit organization that provides decorative arts vocational training and employment to people living with HIV/AIDS, at-risk youth and individuals living with disabilities or other vulnerabilities. The Jewish Board has acquired Alpha which will remain as its own entity and a subsidiary of The Jewish Board. To learn more about Alpha, read here.
The Jewish Board seeks a Senior Director to lead Alpha, embrace and help express Alpha’s unique identity, expand its reach, and deepen its impact. The Senior Director will be responsible for all business, program, and administrative operations of Alpha, overseeing the Alpha Workshops School and the Alpha Workshops Studio, with support from The Jewish Board. The Senior Director will be charged with ensuring the successful continuity of Alpha’s unique programs: training vulnerable individuals in decorative arts as well as running a business offering custom design services to local designers and showrooms around the country. The Senior Director will report directly to the Executive Program Director of Community Services at The Jewish Board, and will serve as the primary liaison between Alpha Workshops and The Jewish Board.
This position will be primarily based at The Alpha Workshops located at 245 W. 29th Street in Manhattan, with travel to The Jewish Board’s headquarters on West 50th Street to be expected.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervising the Alpha Team: Directly supervise staff of 4-6 managers, and indirectly a full team of approximately 16-20 staff. Lead regular team meetings as well as one-on-one supervision sessions. Responsible for hiring, professional development, and performance evaluation.
- Overseeing the Studio and Sales: Manage three studio directors who design and create Alpha’s signature products, including custom furniture, wallpaper and wall finishes. Supervise Alpha’s sales and marketing department, which will require a deep interest in art and product design. In collaboration with senior staff, formulate business planning, sales and marketing strategies, and strategies to cultivate existing and new customers.
- Overseeing the School: Support and supervise the School Director. Champion the work of the school, and be a visible presence as students are welcomed into their introductory course and progress toward graduation. Guide the direction, growth and vision for the school. While ensuring the school meets all requirements, help lead the effort to plan for the school’s future, the development of measurable outcomes, and the definition and attainment of annual goals.
- Managing and Systematizing Operations: In partnership with Jewish Board colleagues, create, implement and maintain standard practices for all administrative and financial functions. These may include record keeping and reporting, budgets, finance, human resources and technology. Ensure proper financial controls are in place and regulatory requirements are met. The Senior Director also will be responsible for operating Alpha within budget, maintaining relationships with funders, and pursuing new funders and contracts, with assistance from The Jewish Board development, government relations, and other departments.
- Program Design, Development and Implementation: In partnership with colleagues at Alpha and The Jewish Board, evaluate existing programs, and develop and implement additional programming to deepen and broaden the impact of Alpha’s work.
- Board Relationship: Serve as key point of contact with Alpha’s Board, in coordination with The Jewish Board. Work closely with board members to determine the direction of the organization as well as to cultivate partners and supporters.
- General Administration: Ensure the proper functioning of all facilities and operations. Prepare reports, gather data and other information as requested. Continually develop and/or improve all aspects of the work. Facilitate meetings and tours as needed, and serve as liaison between Alpha and outside partners.
- Strong management and/or business management skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to serving people in need, as well as a passion for art and design.
- A strong belief in the transformative power of learning and work for individuals with disabilities.
- A strong belief in the transformative power of art and creative productivity in providing hope and positive self-identity.
- Detail-oriented, proactive, flexible and able to work in a participatory team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communications skills, including excellent writing ability.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of experience in non-profit, social service, or for-profit management, particularly related to design or a similar field.
- An advanced degree in a related field is preferred.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
This search is being conducted by Schall & Russo Planning Works, LLC. Interested candidates should email (noting “Senior Director, Alpha” in the subject line) a thoughtful cover letter and resume, in confidence, to:
Steven Schall, Schall & Russo Planning Works
The Jewish Board seeks talented people of all cultures, religions, races and ethnicities, and gender expressions. The Jewish Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks a diverse pool of candidates for this position.