STRIVE is a leading national nonprofit organization focused on creating opportunity and breaking cycles of poverty through meaningful and lasting employment. Building on over 30 years of experience and expertise, STRIVE utilizes an innovative coaching model that trains tomorrow's workforce with a combination of intensive attitudinal training and skill-building programs that lead to good careers and mobility. STRIVE focuses on untapped and underserved labor markets, including individuals in low-income communities and individuals returning from incarceration and seeking a second chance. Over 70,000 individuals have had greater access to economic self-sufficiency, dignity, and a brighter future, thanks to their employment opportunities offered by STRIVE.
STRIVE's programs in workforce development leverage national initiatives including STRIVE Future Leaders for young adults and STRIVE Fresh Start for individuals returning from incarceration. The work of STRIVE is being noted in New York City and throughout the country for its comprehensive and bold approach to workforce development. Mayor Mitch Landrieu of New Orleans has highlighted STRIVE as a cornerstone of his citywide Economic Opportunity Strategy, in just one example of the organization's increasing national footprint.
Through this wide-ranging set of services, STRIVE addresses the specific barriers faced by its clients, which might include a lack of skills, education and work history, a criminal record, systemic disconnection from work and school, and long-term dependence on public assistance. STRIVE's commitment to each graduate is lifelong.
For more information, please visit http://striveinternational.org.
With a proven model of success, STRIVE is deep into a new phase of strategic growth. The National Vice President of Development & Communications (the “Vice President”) will be a key player in moving towards STRIVE's ambitious plan to increase scale and impact. The STRIVE Board of Directors and senior leadership are enthusiastic to partner with a dynamic and hands-on development and communications professional to guide these critical areas during the creation of a new strategic plan and beyond. With an annual budget of nearly $10M for 2018, STRIVE will rely on the Vice President to bring creativity, leadership, and an entrepreneurial eye to growth.
As an external representative for STRIVE, the Vice President will be a tireless advocate for workforce development. Working closely with the President & CEO and Board Members, the Vice President will engage donors and prospects to cultivate and solicit new supporters of STRIVE's mission. This position will collaborate closely with senior leaders within the STRIVE affiliate network and with leading external funders and stakeholders.
The Vice President's responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as a key member of STRIVE's Senior Leadership Team to lead and manage the organization's fundraising and communications efforts
- Act as a mission ambassador by engaging donors and soliciting gifts of six-figures and above
- Actively work with the CEO, a committed Board of Directors, and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy and annual plan to include corporate, foundation, government, and individual donors
- Partner with the CEO, Board of Directors, and senior staff to develop and implement an inclusive marketing/communications strategy and an annual marketing plan
- Lead, motivate, and supervise a team of employees in achieving the fundraising and marketing goals
- Develop and manage overall development and marketing budgets in partnership with the CFO
Desired qualifications include the following:
Skills and Experiences
- Senior experience (at least 7+ years) in nonprofit development and communications, including high-level solicitation experience
- Proven track record of achieving annual revenue goals with a focus on building and maintaining a successful individual giving platform, with additional experience in corporate, government, and foundation partnerships
- Exceptional communications skills; capacity to articulate STRIVE's mission, with proven ability to write and speak effectively and persuasively
- Demonstrated capacity and experience in setting an overall marketing plan, including planning, writing, editing, and producing online and print content, press releases, reports, and marketing materials
- Experience with national funders and/or fundraising for a national organization preferred
- Bachelor's Degree required; advanced degree preferred
Melissa Madzel and Molly Brennan of Koya Leadership Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit your materials here (https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/1991). All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Minimum Education Required