Director of Development
- Job posted by Active Minds
Dupont Circle Northwest
District of Columbia
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Active Minds is seeking a seasoned, highly talented leader to help grow the organization in the midst of the ongoing mental health crisis in the United States. Armed with successful results from a national program evaluation, Active Minds brings extraordinary conviction and commitment to increasing its reach across the country to ensure young people have the support they need. This is a re-imagined position, focused on both traditional development strategy and innovation to identify, cultivate, and steward new champions to support the organization.
The ideal candidate brings a growth mindset, a record of raising funds and awareness, and a collaborative and inclusive leadership style. This person will be comfortable leading and doing hands-on work in an entrepreneurial and agile environment and will be driven by ambitious goals and outcomes.
This is a unique opportunity to join a strategic and innovative leadership team and help identify solutions to the national mental health crisis through increased programming and a relentless focus on this issue.
- Vision and strategy: In collaboration with the Executive Director, build and execute a comprehensive development strategy to reach ambitious fundraising goals, including timelines, measurable objectives, and benchmarks
- Fundraising: Meet annual fundraising goals that will put Active Minds on track to significantly increase revenues within three years; generate new revenue from diverse sources including individual donors, major giving, grants, fundraising events, direct mail appeals, online fundraising, and corporate partnership initiatives
- Fundraising program development: Launch programs targeted at different stakeholders to increase engagement and create new sources of revenue
- Stewardship: Maintain communication with donors and the Active Minds community; cultivate new relationships that will generate brand recognition and/or revenue
- Management and team leadership: Oversee small Development team, ensuring high levels of professionalism, innovation, solicitation, stewardship, and accountability
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- A belief in the mission, principles, and core values of Active Minds
- A strong track record of success implementing an innovative and integrated national development strategy that results in significant revenue growth to the organization
- Demonstrated experience soliciting one-on-one gifts, preferably of five figures and above
- Experience with development database management
- Knowledge of communications and outreach strategies, including the development of literature, media, press releases, and other communication tools; experience in building social media efforts, public outreach, and digital fundraising and engagement
- Superb interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and concisely (both in writing and orally), and to listen as well as give advice
- Proven track record of maintaining positive relationships with staff and peers within and beyond the organization
About Active Minds
Active Minds is dedicated to changing the conversation about how the United States views and treats mental health. Currently celebrating its 15th year, Active Minds works closely with young adults at colleges and high schools nationwide through education, programming, and research, empowering them to reduce the stigma surrounding mental health, create communities of support, and save lives. Active Minds is a national nonprofit based in Washington, DC. For more information, visit www.activeminds.org.
Minimum Education Required