Vice President, Finance and Operations
- Job posted by Nontraditional Employment for Women
Details: Commensurate with experience
243 West 20th Street
Nontraditional Employment for Women (NEW), a highly respected and renowned workforce development nonprofit, is seeking an outstanding finance and operations professional to join its team as its Vice President for Finance and Operations.
Founded in 1978, Nontraditional Employment for Women, Inc. (NEW) trains and places women in the building and construction trades and related skilled labor positions. NEW primarily serves low-income women from under-resourced communities throughout New York City, helping them achieve economic independence and a secure future. NEW provides hands-on skills training, job readiness classes, and offers complementary social services to its students and graduates. NEW also offers a range of services to unions and employers, including recruiting and screening qualified candidates and providing technical assistance to apprenticeship programs on the recruitment and retention of women in construction and related industries.
NEW is seeking a smart, hardworking, and experienced financial manager to become the Vice President, Finance and Operations (VPFO). Reporting directly to the President, the VPFO will be responsible for all financial and administrative activities for NEW, including financial management and reporting, budget, cash management, general accounting, banking, payroll and investment, human resources management, information technology and office services, among other responsibilities. As a key member of the senior leadership team, the VPFO must be a detail-oriented, strategic leader who can manage the financial and administrative needs of the organization, be responsive to the leadership and the Board, work closely with the auditors, and collaborate constructively with program managers.
As an important part of the executive team, it is critical that the VPFO be capable of integrating smoothly into the senior management team, fitting into the organization’s fast-paced and ambitious culture. The VPFO will work with the President, the Board committees, and staff in a supportive and direct manner. The VPFO will have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, and a hands-on management style. It is critical that the VPFO be a problem-solver, ready to identify and analyze challenges as they arise and propose and implement solutions. In addition, the VPFO will be of the highest integrity and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
- Financial Management, Budgeting and Reporting:
- Develop and lead the fiscal strategy for the organization, including the management and allocation of resources to support a sustainable and scalable business model.
- Oversee the development of short- and long-term financial strategy, including the design of financial models, budgets, analyses, forecasts, and presentations in order to inform and drive decisions by NEW’s leadership, as well as the Board Finance and Audit Committees.
- Manage the fiscal team and oversee the management of financial transactions, including accounts payable and receivable, banking, investments, payroll, annual financial audit, and all 900 and 1099 applications.
- Enhance systems for analysis, tracking, reporting and forecasting of financial metrics; provide actionable analysis for financial performance, trends and forecasts.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance as well as internal controls and financial procedures.
- Oversee information technology to ensure effective IT infrastructure and delivery of services across the organization; supervise the Director of Information Services.
- Bridge departmental operations to optimize processes and systems to lead to greater efficiencies.
- Manage relationships with external vendors, including the Payroll vendor Paychex.
- Oversee risk management and legal activities including letters of agreement, contracts, leases, and other legal documents and agreements.
- Provide oversight for and manage capital construction project through completion.
- For human resources, develop and implement effective internal recruiting, hiring and onboarding practices.
- Develop and implement an organization-wide performance management system, ensuring that individuals and teams have appropriate training and tools they need to manage their work efficiently and effectively, ensuring that programmatic goals are achieved.
- Oversee the automation of tasks as appropriate, to aid in the efficiency of program implementation, data collection, reporting and operations.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advance degree in Business, Accounting or another relevant field preferred.
- A minimum of ten years of experience working in increasing responsible positions for complex organizations, including significant experience overseeing business operations and driving results in a high-performance, growing and evolving organization.
- Advanced accounting and finance skills essential; nonprofit finance and accounting experience highly preferred.
- Proven track record of achieving short-and long-term organizational objectives and financial growth through the implementation of infrastructure, business processes, and systems, especially in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Excellent quantitative knowledge and problem-solving skills in order to analyze, assess and manage fiscal operations, human resources, technology, office services and other administrative operations.
- Highest possible integrity and credibility.
- Flexible and adaptive work style with the ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Commitment to NEW’s mission.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Nontraditional Employment for Women has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner, or Anne McCarthy, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put “NEW VPFO” in the subject line of your e-mail.