- Job posted by TDC
31 Milk Street Suite 310
TDC is a leading management consulting and research firm that works across the nonprofit sector. For 50 years, TDC has worked exclusively with nonprofit, governmental, educational, and philanthropic organizations, providing them with the business and management tools critical to carrying out their missions effectively.
We possess a strong track record in facilitating highly complex strategic business planning and organizational change processes for hundreds of organizations. Guided by our clients' missions, informed by market realities, and grounded in financial best practices, we work with clients to help them lay out integrated programmatic, organizational, and financial strategies. Our clients represent the diversity of the nonprofit sector, including groups working in the arts and culture sector, education, community and economic development, health and human services, and the environment. In addition, TDC works with funders and donors to develop recommendations for how best to provide philanthropic support; design funding initiatives; and assist in the development of funding processes, including participation in the application and review process. The diversity and the choice to work with both organization and funders is a strategic decision we have made to make impact at two levels; individually at the nonprofit level and sector-wide through our work with funders. This allows TDC to have a truly well-informed sector-wide view as we are able to see multiple perspectives. On occasion, TDC publishes in-depth research on critical topics faced by the nonprofit sector.
Based in Boston, TDC has a staff of twenty that works with clients nationally. Our staff expertise is both deep and broad. Our consultants hold degrees from top MBA and graduate programs and bring a wealth of experience from the nonprofit and social sectors. Our team is highly skilled in organizational planning, data and financial analysis, program development and evaluation, and operational design. All staff work across the sector, ensuring that we, as a practice, are constantly bringing a fresh eye to our work and questioning core assumptions.
For more information on TDC, please visit www.tdcorp.org.
TDC is seeking a strategic and entrepreneurial Vice President to join our team. Vice Presidents lead client engagements and are responsible for ensuring the successful completion of our consulting and research projects. Vice Presidents manage client relationships, serving as the lead strategist and consultant, and oversee the work of small, project-based teams, taking a hands-on role as needed in research and analysis tasks. A Vice President's portfolio will encompass the variety of the nonprofit sector and, at different times, may be focused primarily on one sector or include projects in a wide range of sectors, depending on the number and nature of the projects in-house. Like all TDC staff, Vice Presidents work in a fast-paced environment on multiple engagements simultaneously.
Vice Presidents report to the President and Executive Vice President and will join a team of four Vice Presidents at the management level. The incoming Vice President will work on client engagements with all members of the firm, including the President and Executive Vice President and in close collaboration with Associate-level staff to execute on consulting projects.
- Lead client engagements, with responsibility for identifying key strategic questions, identifying effective stakeholder engagement strategies, facilitating client meetings, and presenting deliverables to client teams; to ensure the timely completion of engagements, this includes negotiating changes, or new and unanticipated circumstances
- Manage each client engagement, ensuring the effective and timely contribution and collaboration of internal project teams
- Direct the client experience and firm offerings, so it is a productive and positive experience for those that partner with TDC
- Oversee the development and execution of research agendas (interviews, focus groups, audience surveys, organizational benchmarking, analysis of client data) and financial models, taking a hands-on role in research tasks where needed
- Contribute to the production of major client deliverables, including reports and presentations, with responsibility for finalizing and presenting to the client
- Participate in activities to advance the growth of the firm by sourcing opportunities for business development and developing TDC's external presence, including writing proposals, networking and contributing to sector research and thought leadership on behalf of TDC
- Serve on the management team with the President, Executive Vice President and four Vice Presidents and work on labor planning, staffing, hiring, training and talent management, and contribute to overall organizational success
- As the incoming Vice President, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You come to this role with 12+ years of professional experience, with prior success in strategy, management, or research consulting to nonprofit organizations and/or in internal nonprofit leadership roles with responsibility for managing people, budgets, and programs or projects.
- You are a big-picture and strategic thinker, able to consider all aspects of client organizations, from the markets they serve to their staffing and governance, and create processes and deliverables that demonstrate an understanding of how each component impacts the whole.
- You are skilled in leading people through processes that require identifying and resolving key strategic challenges through rigorous data and financial analysis and thoughtful stakeholder engagement.
- You possess highly sophisticated analytical skills, with the ability to oversee and, as needed, play a hands-on role in projects involving rigorous quantitative and qualitative data analysis and the development of detailed financial models. You have expert Excel skills and ideally also have experience with SPSS.
- You bring past experience in conducting market research, including competitive analysis, surveys and focus groups, and review of secondary literature and data.
- You demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, with prior success in building trusting relationships at all levels of an organization, navigating complex and sensitive environments, and a demonstrated interest in cultivating relationships in support of business development.
- You have an acute sense of situational analysis, can read a room to understand core issues, and have the ability to speak to and work with clients in a way that ensures they feel heard.
- You have excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills, demonstrating the ability to organize and present complex information in a clear and concise manner and skill in facilitating meetings.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment and can successfully guide teams to deliver against tight deadlines while working across multiple engagements, and you offer prior managerial experience.
- You display a deep intellectual curiosity about the problems we are asked to solve by TDC's clients and excitement about the opportunity to work across a wide variety of organizations and projects, and you are passionate about supporting the nonprofit sector.
- You hold an MBA, MPA, or similar graduate-level degree.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
TDC offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
TDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by law. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
TDC has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
In your application materials, please respond to the following questions. If you do not address these questions in your cover letter, please do so in a separate, well-structured essay (no more than one-page, single-spaced).
- Reflecting on the job description and what you know about TDC, what about the Vice President position interests you? How do your experiences and expertise translate to the responsibilities of the position?
- The Vice President position leads client engagements to provide strategic business planning, market research, and evaluation services for nonprofit organizations. TDC has a varied client base that includes the arts and culture, education, and human services sectors, among other areas of the nonprofit sector. Based on your experience, what do you understand to be some of the biggest issues affecting nonprofit organizations today and how can consulting services best respond to that?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.
Minimum Education Required